Thread: Markus Reuter MR PDCST #42: Me! (+ KC Book Update)

Markus Reuter MR PDCST #42: Me! (+ KC Book Update)

Hello everyone! As always, sorry for being largely offline, but I'm closing in on finishing the first draft of the King Crimson book. I've got all but five of the 135 all about jazz articles revised, in some cases significantly so. This leaves me with section intros, some "connective tissue" (though less than I'd originally anticipated) and two book exclusive articles to be written, once I wrap up those last five revisions. It's been a long haul, and there will no doubt be additional changes to be made once Panegyric has had a chance to go through it, but it feels good to be approaching the completion of the first draft.

I'll also be making a very gradual return to reviewing, with a couple of pieces planned for next month (I'll leave what they are as a surprise), but my main focus must remain the book, which has certainly devoured more time than I'd originally anticipated.

In the meantime, for any who want to listen to me ramble on about my life, my work as a live and studio guitarist, my upcoming King Crimson book and a whole lot more, you can now listen to it as Episode 42 of Markus Reuter's extraordinary MR PDCST. While you can listen to it for free, I know Markus would appreciate any donations, all of which, BTW, go to him and none at all to me (which is as it should be). So if you feel so inclined to help Markus as live performances begin to return but not without their challenges, please do throw some $ his way. Given how much work goes into his podcasts and Living the Dream live streaming series, I can tell you that he deserves every penny...and a whole lot more.

It really was an unexpected surprise, honour and privilege to be asked to participate in Markus' MR PDCST series, and I've yet to listen to it (been writing today, but I'll be taking a break to hear it now). It's long (surprise, surprise!), but was intended as a loose conversation meant to go wherever it wanted to go...which it did (&#128563. All I can say is: I had a real blast doing it, and want to thank Markus for inviting me to be his guest on MR PDCST.

So, for those who want to know more about me than you might ever want, here's MR PDCST, episode 42.

Enjoy!
    P

POSTSCRIPT: Markus has also posted it on YouTube, so not only can you hear me babble, you can watch me as I do it!

John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    John, just wanted to let you know I’m listening to this a bit at a time (only so because of constant interruptions!). It’s very interesting. I really enjoy Markus’ podcasts, and this is no exception. I didn’t know about all your own musical experience. Congrats on the Gold Album!
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    John, just wanted to let you know I’m listening to this a bit at a time (only so because of constant interruptions!). It’s very interesting. I really enjoy Markus’ podcasts, and this is no exception. I didn’t know about all your own musical experience. Congrats on the Gold Album!
    Thanks...he he....I always love the story about Over My Head. Having the record label redesign the cd booklet and include all the indigenous birds but omit all of the participating musicians sure put me in my place!!

Nothing wrong with being humbled, right?

And thanks for listening. Rio & I watched it yesterday and I kept asking her if it wasn't too long and did people really give a hoot...she knows me better than anyone, and found it relaxed ... entertaining, even. It's hard for me to listen to/watch myself under any circumstance, but as I say in the podcast about the music on which I've played, well, "it didn't make me puke." That's about as good as it'll get for me

Also, I said this in the podcast and want to reiterate, because it's important to me: I was a decent player, and am proud of some of the stuff on which I've participated, but I would never, EVER, put myself on anywhere near the same level as the artists I listen to. I'm enjoying getting back to playing, but I'll never kid myself about where i reside on the totem pole of musicians...!!
    Last edited by jkelman; 1 Week Ago at 06:14 PM.
    John Kelman

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I watched the 2 hour interview. Thanks for posting it John. I enjoyed it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I watched the 2 hour interview. Thanks for posting it John. I enjoyed it.
    Wow...thanks, man! I didn't realise Markus would use the whole thing, to be honest, so just like my articles, thanks for taking the time to slog through all the babble!
    John Kelman