Thread: Tomorrow's Gift - Goodbye Future, probably one of the best Krautrock albums ever?!

Tomorrow's Gift - Goodbye Future, probably one of the best Krautrock albums ever?!

For some reason this specific album wasn't released on CD, i got a bootleg edition.

for me one of the best krautrock albums from the 70's and so much better then their debut album:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPuEK0iOpBA

A different beast than their debut for sure and an excellent album all the way. Top 100 krautrock to my ears.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Veeeeerrrrryyyy interesting stuff.

I'm not a huge fan of their debut (the only one I'd heard), but this one is much mire challenging
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Sampling 2 minutes in random places was enough for me to order the vinyl, this sounds very tasty, thanks!

I bought this one back in the 70's, still have it.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Top 100 krautrock to my ears.
    I agree as always, Spyros.

But I suppose a 'Top 100' with Krautrock doesn't really relate much. It's certainly not in my top-25 or -50, although it is a quite good one. In terms of Kraut'ish Canterburians I'd put it a bit under the Brainstorm albums, Exmagma's second and stuff like Zyma et al. Yet it's very listenable.

I actually enjoy parts of their double-album debut as well, although it undoubtedly sounds culturally dated nowadays. And it certainly isn't anywhere near the greatness or force of Frumpy's legendary second album, to which it is frequently compared.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I actually enjoy parts of their double-album debut as well, although it undoubtedly sounds culturally dated nowadays. And it certainly isn't anywhere near the greatness or force of Frumpy's legendary second album, to which it is frequently compared.
    Yes indeed, it sounds charmingly dated but it's length spanning four sides hasn't held up to it's initial appraisal of the early 90s (while I had the chance to discover it). Frumpy 2 is a model album of the genre, it's not on the same league. However it is a product of our times (fetishhisation of obscurity over obviousness) to see the early incarnation of Tomorrow's Gift as a direct influence to some central european retro-prog bands (Wucan's 3rd effort comes to mind).
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Never heard this one and barely knew anything about them other than their name, but this thread made me find it on youtuber. It's very good and I am enjoying so a tip of the hat to all of you.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^ I remember you writing about the first Dedalus album that the latter sounded a bit like a "[...] somewhat less adventurous take on The Muffins anno 'Manna Mirage'", and truth be told this is always almost how I found Goodbye Future, except that they'd possibly be closer to Chronometers.

Good stuff, but not exactly up there with Brainstorm or that debut Eiliff, both of which were marginally comparable in overall style.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

A different animal than the first TG album. It’s essentially Release Music Orchestra rev. 0.0 (on the “debut” live RMO album, they even revisit one of the themes from this, under an alternate title). The comparison to Brainstorm is pretty on the money.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...