Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Groups that had a comeback (reunited)

Groups that had a comeback (reunited)

Focus has reunited, with original member Thijs van Leer and later also Pierre van der Linden. Without Jan Akkerman, I think it's not the same.
    Hoelderlin had a reunion, with 2 original members, but after one album it stopped
    Kansas has reunited and have made 2 albums with a new line-up, still making good stuff, or making good stuff again
    Kayak came back together and had a string of albums and several line-up changes and still are going strong, with just Ton Scherpenzeel (keyboards) as an original member
    Kraan reunited with the original members Jan Fride, Helmut Hatler and Peter Wolbrand and later addition Ingo Bischof and now works as a trio again, still making good music
    Magma has reunited with main man Christian Vander and still makes great music
    Van der Graaf Generator also has reunited, but is alas missing Jackson

Of course there have also been bands that have reunited only to play live, without releasing new music, I think Coloseum

Any other groups, or opinions?

^Of course when VDGG first reunited, Jackson was there (so is on the studio Present and some live releases). But something went on behind the scenes and then he was gone.

The original Asia reformed in 2006 and put out three studio albums. I like them.

ELP did those two 90s studio albums. Black Moon is OK.

Colosseum did put out a few studio albums after reforming, though I'm not sure who's on any of them.

There were a few Black Sabbath reunions with Ozzy/Dio which produced a fair amount of new material.

ABBA have recorded some new tracks which were announced for release years ago, but haven't yet materialised. I think many fans believe a full album is in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Colosseum did put out a few studio albums after reforming, though I'm not sure who's on any of them.
    Bread and Circuses (1997) and Tomorrow's Blues (2003) have the classic lineup of Hiseman, Greenslade, Clemson, Clarke, Heckstall-Smith and Farlowe. The later Time On Our Side (2014) has Barbara Thompson replacing the late Heckstall-Smith.

The "new" live lineup has only Clemson, Clarke and Farlowe from the classic lineup. Hiseman's place is taken by Malcolm Mortimore. Greemslade isn't well enough to tour and was originally mooted to be replaced by Don Airey but has now been changed to Adrian Askew. Sax duties to be handled by Kim Nishikawara.
    Last edited by Progtastic; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:39 AM.

Why, Yes. Just kidding.
    Dixie Dregs
    PFM
    Happy The Man ( missing Kit Watkins )
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Many of the classic Italian bands re-emerged. Some even re-re-emerged!
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Comus reunion took place as part of the Melloboat festival in Sweden, in March 2008, and they had released their excellent comeback album "Out of the Coma" in 2012.

Didn't Jaxon get involved with one of those unauthorised Classic Rock DVDs and the rest of the band took exception?

Procol Harum reunited in 1991 after 14 years apart, starting out with three original members plus lyricist Keith Reid in place. With only three studio albums in the last 30 years, the reunited band has been less than prolific, and the most recent had only Gary Brooker remaining from the old days. (Even Keith Reid's lyrics were absent, for the first time on a Procol Harum album, although he appears to have returned for a recent EP release.)

The reunited Gryphon has produced two fine studio albums in recent years.

Jethro Tull has--OUCH! OW! STOP IT!!!--okay, never mind.
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY incontrovertibly available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Helloween has occasionally reunited as Pumpkins United.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Focus has reunited, with original member Thijs van Leer and later also Pierre van der Linden. Without Jan Akkerman, I think it's not the same.
    Hoelderlin had a reunion, with 2 original members, but after one album it stopped
    Kansas has reunited and have made 2 albums with a new line-up, still making good stuff, or making good stuff again
    Kayak came back together and had a string of albums and several line-up changes and still are going strong, with just Ton Scherpenzeel (keyboards) as an original member
    Kraan reunited with the original members Jan Fride, Helmut Hatler and Peter Wolbrand and later addition Ingo Bischof and now works as a trio again, still making good music
    Magma has reunited with main man Christian Vander and still makes great music
    Van der Graaf Generator also has reunited, but is alas missing Jackson

Of course there have also been bands that have reunited only to play live, without releasing new music, I think Coloseum

Any other groups, or opinions?
    For me there is a difference with bands like Kansas who have never really broken up (unless you count the late 80's). Even though they went a long time before putting out a new studio album a few years ago, they were always together evolving as a live band.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Helloween has occasionally reunited as Pumpkins United.
    They just put out a new album under the Helloween moniker with all 3 lead singers.

Iron Maiden...sort of. They've never been not touring and recording but they reunited with Bruce and they had a renewed career. Been 20 years. Wow.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Doesn’t Hoelderlin have something new out? (Rarebird is sure to know!)

Shriekback was kaput for much of the nineties and noughts, but have been back together with three original members releasing albums.

Kind of surprised Talking Heads have never jumped on the reformation bandwagon. I guess because Byrne’s been busy with his stuff.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    There were a few Black Sabbath reunions with Ozzy/Dio which produced a fair amount of new material.
    But the last iteration with Dio, they called it Heaven and Hell rather than Sabbath.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Doesn’t Hoelderlin have something new out? (Rarebird is sure to know!)

Shriekback was kaput for much of the nineties and noughts, but have been back together with three original members releasing albums.

Kind of surprised Talking Heads have never jumped on the reformation bandwagon. I guess because Byrne’s been busy with his stuff.
    Hoelderlin did one reunion-album, basicly the rhythm-section with new musicians, but nothing after that.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    But the last iteration with Dio, they called it Heaven and Hell rather than Sabbath.
    I include The Devil You Know as part of the Sabbath canon.

The Muffins, with all four members.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Hoelderlin did one reunion-album, basicly the rhythm-section with new musicians, but nothing after that.
    There is a new DVD of their Rockpalast gig, which was from their last reunion though (so not that new).

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    There is a new DVD of their Rockpalast gig, which was from their last reunion though (so not that new).
    I already have that gig, recorded when it was broadcasted.

Looks interesting, put it on my wishlist.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:56 PM.

Univers Zero had a 12–13 year break, from around 1986, until they returned in 1999 w/ “The Hard Quest.” The band then performed and continued/continues to put out new music and play.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Actually, Chris Franz, Tina Weymouth, and Jerry Harrison did record adn tour as The Heads in the mid 90's. I saw them open for The Who in 1996. As far as a full reunion with all four band members, judging from the excerpts I've read from Chris Franz's book, I suspect the other probably don't want to be in a band with David Byrne again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Maske View Post
    Univers Zero had a 12–13 year break, from around 1986, until they returned in 1999 w/ “The Hard Quest.” The band then performed and continued/continues to put out new music and play.
    There was actually a one-off concert (and unique line-up, including Guy Segers and Andy Kirk... on guitar) in 1997 at Victoriaville. The albums released over the next few years were studio-only affairs, although there was briefly talk of gigging after "The Hard Quest", I think. Then there was over a decade of regular live work (2004-2015), but nothing has been happening on the UZ front for several years now.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

I hadn’t discovered UZ until after they’d been gone for several years. Years later, it was neat to see a favorite band return, after thinking they were gone for good. I was fortunate to see them live, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, Chris Franz, Tina Weymouth, and Jerry Harrison did record adn tour as The Heads in the mid 90's. I saw them open for The Who in 1996. As far as a full reunion with all four band members, judging from the excerpts I've read from Chris Franz's book, I suspect the other probably don't want to be in a band with David Byrne again.
    I've read Franz's book and I concur that it is extremely unlikely that he and Weymouth (and probably Harrison as well) would work with Byrne again.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

TESTING TESTING

Happy Family
    Bubblemath (though they didn't really break up as much as take 15 years to make an album)

- Matt