Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Groups that had a comeback (reunited)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Max Webster reunited for ONE concert about 10 years ago. I saw some video clips but would have loved to witness it live.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Nektar reunited in 2001 although the album that was released was mostly a Roye Albrighton solo work.

Yes has reunited who knows how many times but most notably was when they reunited and released Keys to Ascension.

Renaissance reformed in 1998 to record Tuscany and then a somewhat different lineup toured Japan to promote the album in 2001. Annie and Michael Dunford formed another new version of the band around 2009 and they toured off and on, releasing another new album in 2013, Dunford having died in 2012.

Camel reformed in 1992(ish) and released several new albums in the 90s/early 00s. They reformed again after Latimer got healthy following a bone marrow transplant.

Saga officially disbanded in 2017 only to reform a couple of years later.

Ambrosia reunited in 1989 and have been together ever since (but without David Pack since around 2000) but have yet to release a new album.

There are no doubt hundreds of others that don't come to mind at the moment.

Crosby Stills, Nash and Young (in the late 80's I think)

Genesis (for the 2007 tour and now for apparently one last hurrah) . Even the PG lineup reunited once in 1982 but I suppose most on here know about that.

The Grateful Dead (in 2015)

Also, many 70's one shot Italian bands.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 07-19-2021 at 10:31 AM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

One of the greatest concert experiences of my life was seeing the Nice on their reunion tour in 2002. Although I had seen ELP several times over the years, this was the last time I saw Keith Emerson live.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Oh yeah how could I forget (being as I was in the opening band on their North American reunion tour)...

Goblin

- Matt

Kaipa. Hans Lundin's baby with Roine Stolt assisting on the first couple of reformed albums. I think these have been quite good overall (even after Stolt left) except for the woman singer who has a voice that is annoying.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Hawkwind disbanded in 1978. They reformed in 1979 and have been going ever since.
    Pink Fairies disbanded in 1974. They've reformed multiple times since.
    Eloy disbanded in 1984 and reformed initially as a duo and then as a full band on more than one occasion.
    Can disbanded in 1979 and reformed briefly in 1989 for one album.

Utopia (early 90's with Rundgren, Wilcox, Powell, Sulton) and Todd Rundgren's Utopia in a few incarnations in the 201x's. Unfortunately, no studio albums but live albums/videos from each era.

Has Wetton/Jobson UK been mentioned?

Oh, and I can't forget FM at NEARfest in 2006 (I was there).

Banned
    After "You" was released, Gong broke apart. First Pierre Moerlen left the band, then Gilli Smyth and finally the band founder Allen and keyboardist Blake. The remaining band around Malherbe, Hillage and Howlett stayed alive for some time, played concerts with various temporary guests. Under the leadership of Moerlen, jazz-rock albums "Shamal" and "Gazeuse!" were recorded with a changing line-up.
    But the classic, the "Radio Gnome" line-up of Allen, Smyth, Malherbe, Blake, Hillage, Giraudy, Howlett and Moerlen, had reunited on May 28, 1977, at Hippodrome in Paris where Gong gave a reunion concert which was recorded and released as a double LP "Gong Est Mort, Vive Gong!" (Tapioca, 1977). Well recorded and beautifully performed, "Gong Est Mort, Vive Gong!" which featuring the extended versions of their classics from "Camembert Electrique" to "You", represents the classic Gong line-up at their performing climax and hence it's a must have for Gong fans.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    Hawkwind disbanded in 1978. They reformed in 1979 and have been going ever since.
    Pink Fairies disbanded in 1974. They've reformed multiple times since.
    Eloy disbanded in 1984 and reformed initially as a duo and then as a full band on more than one occasion.
    Can disbanded in 1979 and reformed briefly in 1989 for one album.
    I think Hawkwind c.1978 was a legal dispute over who owned the name? They became the Hawklords for a while until the dispute was resolved.

I don't see mention of Gryphon, they released an album 40 years later after their last one (ReInvention) and then another one Get out of my father's car. Both albums are cool, imho

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Kaipa. Hans Lundin's baby with Roine Stolt assisting on the first couple of reformed albums. I think these have been quite good overall (even after Stolt left) except for the woman singer who has a voice that is annoying.
    You should check out Kaipa Da Capo.
    Also a reunion of sorts. Michael Stolt sings and on the Live album it's no other than Lalle Larsson on Keys!
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    There's another obscure band that had quite a few reunions in the past centuries:
    KING CRIMSON

Duh!
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

The Shadows of Knight have reunited after nearly 50 years and have a new CD out.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    You should check out Kaipa Da Capo.
    Also a reunion of sorts. Michael Stolt sings and on the Live album it's no other than Lalle Larsson on Keys!
    Yes, I liked that one even if I didn't understand a word of the lyrics. The playing was outstanding.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Banned
    Not Prog, but the greatest 'Rock' reunion ever is The Who at Live Aid 1985. The Who announced the farewell tour back in 1982 when they had decided to go out in support of It's Hard the album and said it was The Who's last - and even a live double-LP with that title was released in November 1984 - but later they agreed to reunite for Live Aid. In the first instance, Pete Townshend was somewhat unwilling to play that show. In his autobiography Who I Am, Pete Townshend recalls the attitude of Bob Geldof when he heard about his hesitation. "If the Who appear we know we will get an additional million pounds of revenue," Townshend remembers him saying. "Every pound we make will save a life. Do the fucking math. And do the fucking show."

^ I love the Who to death but they sort of became the little band that cried wolf with all their farewell tours. At some point I suppose they became more like reunion tours.

Another band that came back after a supposed farewell tour was the Doobie Brothers (also not prog).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ^ I love the Who to death but they sort of became the little band that cried wolf with all their farewell tours. At some point I suppose they became more like reunion tours.

Another band that came back after a supposed farewell tour was the Doobie Brothers (also not prog).
    Or the Eagles
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I think Hawkwind c.1978 was a legal dispute over who owned the name? They became the Hawklords for a while until the dispute was resolved.
    Not quite. During 1978, Brock and Calvert started casting around for a post-Hawkwind thing to do. The idea seemed to be that the two of them would have full creative control and that they would bring in a band to play the music that they created. They reached out to Devon band Ark (Harvey Brainbridge, Martin Griffin) around the time the 1978 US tour began, but they couldn't make it work due to contract commitments. They reluctantly went on tour in 1978, and at the end of the tour, Dave called it quits and dissolved the band. He sold his guitar to Marc Sperhauk to finance a vacation traveling around the western deserts. When they came back to the UK, they got together with Harvey (who brough Martin, unaware that Simon King was still in the picture and that he'd separately arranged for Ade Shaw to come in to play bass) and they assembled what initially became Hawklords. The choice of name was partly down to walking away from the Hawkwind contracts, so in that sense it was legal, or at least due to fear of potential legal issues.

Squeeze and Wire have both broken up and reunited twice. Both still together and doing fine.

The Pixies reunion made all the money they should've got first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Yes has reunited who knows how many times but most notably was when they reunited and released Keys to Ascension.
    Wakeman stated he believed Yes would continue on like orchestras which have been around for centuries. Like the Vienna Philharmonic. That new members will continually keep the band alive.

Crosby Stills, Nash and Young (in the late 80's I think)
    And 90s, and early 2000s. What's keeping them apart today is bad blood between Crosby and Nash.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    Oh, and I can't forget FM at NEARfest in 2006 (I was there).
    Me too. You can hear me on the official release.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Wakeman stated he believed Yes would continue on like orchestras which have been around for centuries. Like the Vienna Philharmonic. That new members will continually keep the band alive.
    That was on the Yesyears documentary. That's at best an act of wishful thinking, and at worst, a very calculated PR move, to generate a positive item that would make for good copy. Actually, I suspect at the time he may have been serious, but it's still wishful thinking. I think that when Howe, White and Anderson are gone, that'll be it, there'll be no more Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post

And 90s, and early 2000s. What's keeping them apart today is bad blood between Crosby and Nash.
    You mean bad blood between Croz and Stills, Nash, AND Young. Well, I'm not sure about Stills, but I know Neil Young was miffed by some comment Croz made about Neil's girlfriend or whatever, and I guess Nash just feels like Croz is just such a pain in the ass to be around, he even wrote a song about it. And Croz has admitted that Roger McGuinn apparently doesn't want to work with him either (and I imagine, neither does Chris Hillman). So he's managed to alienate virtually everyone he's kind of famous for working with.

The 82 tour was the only one, I believe, that was actually billed as a "Farewell Tour". I remember Townshend admitted in 1989, when they did the first reunion tour, he "was only doing it for the money" because he "realized that America was intent on making him rich all over again". Of course, what he didn't tell us is the real reason was Entwistle was in danger of losing his house (apparently, he continued to live like a rock star, even when that part of his career was kind of over). I'm not sure about the mid 90's Quadrophenia touring cycle, but I think that might have contributed to that one too.

See also: Ozzy Osbourne, who did what he billed as his "No More Tours" tour, then a couple yeas later, engaged in his "Retirement Sucks" tour. In truth, virtually everyone who's done a "Farewell Tour" has ended up going back on the road for one reason or another. Phil Collins even acknowledged this about 15 years ago, when he facetiously billed his retirement tour as the "First Farwell Tour", perhaps knowing that he'd eventually get bored staying at home, or get made an offer he couldn't refuse.