Thread: Trapist

Trapist

Anyone know these guys? It's really lovely and I think Necks fans would enjoy them!

I wrote this earlier on Facebook...

Trapist-"Ballroom" (2004) What a great surprise this one was! Like many of these capsule comments, I bought it years ago, listened to it once and since forgot about it. On this one specifically, I remember it not really connecting with me but the reason escaped me. After hearing it again, I think I know why. It's very slow, takes time to develop, requires a complete listen and most of all, it requires the listener to be "ok" with the idea that it's not about the destination but the ride. I guess that wasn't me back when I initially heard it.

Trapist is (was?) a three piece out of Vienna of guitar and electronics, percussion and electronics and double bass. There are several cool things about this album...first, they are brilliant at synthesizing the acoustic (drums, nylon string guitar, double bass) with the electronics. It's done so naturally that it becomes a non-event within the overarching sound field.

Secondly, thirdly and fourthly, it's about the instruments and players themselves. It sounds like there is both nylon string and electric guitars here but the nylon string guitars are very front and center. This amalgamation works, and it's a beautiful marriage when it interacts with the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) electronics. The drums and percussion are also wonderful. There is a lot of brush work along with an arsenal of random and sundry percussive objects...all played in a very loose, effortless manner. It was fascinating just keying into this aspect. Finally, the acoustic bass, played both in an arco and plucked fashion is extremely tasteful, although understated a bit. During the arco sections, it takes on an electronic drone sound where I had to do a sonic double take to determine that it was actually an acoustic bass.

These reasons and more were enough for me to say that "Ballroom" is indeed a beautiful statement and this release comes highly recommended!

best
    Michael
    Last edited by neuroticdog; 1 Week Ago at 01:17 PM.
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Necks fan here. Was intrigued enough by your description to pick up a CD of this that was going cheap on eBay. Thanks for the tip!

I’m travelling at the moment, but when I eventually get to hear the album I’ll post my impressions here.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Necks fan here. Was intrigued enough by your description to pick up a CD of this that was going cheap on eBay. Thanks for the tip!

I’m travelling at the moment, but when I eventually get to hear the album I’ll post my impressions here.
    Fantastic...looking forward to your thoughts! This has gotten a few spins from me over the past couple days and I like it more, each time I hear it.

best
    Michael

Ditto as a fan of the Necks, hadn't heard of these gents before. I like what I hear though, thanks!!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

any Belgian (certainly beer lovers, anyways) that sees a thread named Trapist will click & open.

currently discovering

Edit: Sounds very post rock... Discovering this abput a decade too late for me.
    Last edited by Trane; 1 Week Ago at 05:47 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    any Belgian (certainly beer lovers, anyways) that sees a thread named Trapist will click & open.

currently discovering

Edit: Sounds very post rock... Discovering this abput a decade too late for me.
    Ha...copy about the beer loving comment. From a JazzTimes review, they mentioned that they took the name "Trapist" due to the Trappist concept of devotion through silence but dropped the extra "p" so the word would reference the German word for free flowing trapeze.

I certainly get the silence part as there is a lot of space between the sounds...thus, the Necks reference.

I also agree about the post rock vibe as there are elements of that throughout as well.

best
    Michael

Check out Radian last 2 albums Chimeric and On Dark Silent Off