Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New/First solo album from Tony Kaye!

New/First solo album from Tony Kaye!

Tony talked about this album in his Rolling Stone interview earlier this year:
    "RS: What are you working on now?
    Kaye: Well, the 20th anniversary of 9/11 is coming up and there’s a very important album that has been percolating and written and re-written for 20 years. It is a musical commemoration that takes you through that day. It’s pretty intense. It’s basically an orchestral album and I’m just at the end of finishing it now. I’m mixing the last tracks now.
    "

Release is September 10th on the Spirit of Unicorn label.

• An album 20 years in the making, the first solo work from former Yes member Tony Kaye.
    • Marking the events and the journey that followed the world changing moments of 9/11, ‘End Of Innocence’ is designed to be listened to in its entirety.
    • Featuring Dani Torchia who Kaye met in the wake of 9/11 who has written and performs on the album.
    • Tony Kaye retired from Yes in 1996, and came out of retirement the week following the events of 9/11 and began to write this album, the power of its music helped Tony to process the day that became the End of Innocence.
    • The album takes you on a journey from the peace of the night before, to the emerging hopeful looking to the future.
    • Tony Kaye met Dani Torchia in the week following 9/11. This album has been interwoven with the growth of their relationship.
    • The artwork is painted by Roger Dean, the artist best known for his work with Yes and Asia. It was created after Roger had heard the music and the images reflect the journey the music takes.

Track Listing:

1 Twinkle Twinkle Little Star/Twilight Time
    2 911 Overture
    3 NYC Blues
    4 Battle Cry
    5 285 Fulton Street
    6 Let’s Roll
    7 Tug Of War
    8 Flight 11
    9 Towers Fall
    10 Sweetest Dreams
    11 Aftermath
    12 Hero’s
    13 The Battle
    14 Hope And Triumph
    15 Homecoming
    16 Ground Zero

Not expecting an upbeat toe-tapper, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Tony talked about this album in his Rolling Stone interview earlier this year:
    "RS: What are you working on now?
    Kaye: Well, the 20th anniversary of 9/11 is coming up and there’s a very important album that has been percolating and written and re-written for 20 years. It is a musical commemoration that takes you through that day. It’s pretty intense. It’s basically an orchestral album and I’m just at the end of finishing it now. I’m mixing the last tracks now.
    "

Release is September 10th on the Spirit of Unicorn label.

• An album 20 years in the making, the first solo work from former Yes member Tony Kaye.
    • Marking the events and the journey that followed the world changing moments of 9/11, ‘End Of Innocence’ is designed to be listened to in its entirety.
    • Featuring Dani Torchia who Kaye met in the wake of 9/11 who has written and performs on the album.
    • Tony Kaye retired from Yes in 1996, and came out of retirement the week following the events of 9/11 and began to write this album, the power of its music helped Tony to process the day that became the End of Innocence.
    • The album takes you on a journey from the peace of the night before, to the emerging hopeful looking to the future.
    • Tony Kaye met Dani Torchia in the week following 9/11. This album has been interwoven with the growth of their relationship.
    • The artwork is painted by Roger Dean, the artist best known for his work with Yes and Asia. It was created after Roger had heard the music and the images reflect the journey the music takes.

Track Listing:

1 Twinkle Twinkle Little Star/Twilight Time
    2 911 Overture
    3 NYC Blues
    4 Battle Cry
    5 285 Fulton Street
    6 Let’s Roll
    7 Tug Of War
    8 Flight 11
    9 Towers Fall
    10 Sweetest Dreams
    11 Aftermath
    12 Hero’s
    13 The Battle
    14 Hope And Triumph
    15 Homecoming
    16 Ground Zero

Kaye may surprise us.

Looks like it's CD only--too bad, that cover would be pretty nice at LP size.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm interested - Tony is underrated.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm interested - Tony is underrated.
    Indeed. I am interested too. I was interested when it was announced back in the 90s that he was going to release a solo album through Cinema Records. That one never happened though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Indeed. I am interested too. I was interested when it was announced back in the 90s that he was going to release a solo album through Cinema Records. That one never happened though.
    '80s! You beat me to it! That album never materialized because Kaye wasn't satisfied with the results. In one interview, he said his instrumentals sounded like they needed vocals, i.e. they couldn't stand alone.

I love Tony Kaye, and would normally be excited about a new solo release from him.
    However, I personally don't need to relive that day, especially in musical form.
    It's forever burned in my memory, and that's enough for me.

So, I think I'll pass on this one.

I wish him much success, because I think he's a great player.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    '80s! You beat me to it! That album never materialized because Kaye wasn't satisfied with the results. In one interview, he said his instrumentals sounded like they needed vocals, i.e. they couldn't stand alone.
    Also beaten to the punch. Was really disappointed when his Cinema album didn’t happen. I really enjoyed all the albums from the label. A real loss when the label folded.

Ember
    The involvement of “Dr. Dani PhD” has me a bit concerned. A self-help guru who has apparent long-harbored musical aspirations. One wonders just how “solo” this project actually is.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    The involvement of “Dr. Dani PhD” has me a bit concerned. A self-help guru who has apparent long-harbored musical aspirations. One wonders just how “solo” this project actually is.
    If it took him 20 years to finish with help, I doubt I'd live long enough to see it released if he'd done it on his own.

#12 needs to be spelled correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    download.jpg

In plurals, the apostrophe comes after the plural form of the word, which may not necessarily be an 's', for example, heroes' rewards (rewards of the heroes), children's toys (toys belonging to the children).

As I said in Sean's FB thread about this: A shame about the production. The vocals sound like they weren't recorded properly. But had they at least had a mix engineer with good sense, he/she could have solved that problem. However, it seems no-one involved with the release took the time to listen properly.

Apart from that - and with the caveat that the version on youtube might not be the finished version - I withhold judgement until I've heard the whole thing in a proper format. I love Tony Kaye and I have waited for a solo album from him since he started talking about it in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    the version on youtube might not be the finished version -
    The YouTube version was posted a year ago and bears a date of ten years ago, so I assume it's a demo or work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The YouTube version was posted a year ago and bears a date of ten years ago, so I assume it's a demo or work in progress.
    The word out there is that Tony has rewritten, rerecorded & remixed this work in the last 10 years since the YouTube video. As he mentioned in that February Rolling Stone interview, Kaye was just finishing up the mixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Stated, ironically, in post #12.

This is, by far, the most disturbing album cover I've ever seen. I know that was the intention but, for me at least, a good album cover is something I'd like to hang on my wall or put on t-shirt. There is no way I want this hanging on my wall or that I'm going to walk around with on the front of my shirt. That's a day that I will never forget but it's not something I want to be constantly reminded of. I guess it's just something that hits a little too close to home for me (literally). I might give this album a listen but it's not something I'm likely to replay very often, if ever.

It's tough to say no to the wife.

For those who have selective memories...ladies and gentlemen, Mrs. Tony Kaye.

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

If this is anything close to the 10-yr old demo that has been out there on YouTube, Dani sings one song.

I lived through that day. It was traumatic. I don't visit the memorial. I don't watch documentaries about it. I'm sure the music is heartfelt and emotional and good. I don't think I can do it.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    It's tough to say no to the wife.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Dr Torchia -- I skimmed some of her PhD thesis and it looked like a perfectly sensible PhD to me -- has written one song in the suite and contributes vocals to another. I think that's it. Jay Schellen plays drums. The rest is composed/performed by Kaye.

PhD thesis at: https://scholarworks.waldenu.edu/dissertations/3546/

Henry
    Last edited by bondegezou; 07-21-2021 at 10:43 AM.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/