Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bands to convetr my wife to prog lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    she seems to like certain songs . . . . . . . . She literally could care less for anything else I listen to . . . . . . so I haven't bothered... In years.
    Yah I slightly edited your statement but it seems to apply to my sitch to a degree. My wife has had a fondness in the past for P-Tree, later-period Tull and Wigwam (due to the lyrics, mainly), TLLDOB (due to the lyrics, mainly), some Zep and Beatles and a paltry few others, but at the end of the day (years), she just isn't a music enthusiast and she never will be.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I say give up trying to convert her.
    I am with Zomby.

She must be a recently acquired wife I assume.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    This thread ain't going to do me no good. My wife may like some of the smooth melodic light stuff some of you are recommending, but I can't stand it! There's no way she's listening to Henry Cow, Univers Zero or Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

We just took a road trip to Niagara & I put together a playlist of Blues, Jazz, Rock & Indie. She was perfectly happy with all of that.

On the drive home I tried her out on Steve Wilson, Aquaserge, Dead Can Dance & Unexpect, of those the only one she would tolerate was SW.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

btw you have better chance to convert your wife to budhism than to prog lover...I have 30 years experience in it and it is not getting any better...

In honor of the great Peter Banks, Empire Mk1

High energy, plenty of hooks, great female vocals from the ex-mrs B

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    On the drive home I tried her out on Steve Wilson, Aquaserge, Dead Can Dance & Unexpect, of those the only one she would tolerate was SW.
    Christ! What kinda wife turns down Aquaserge? Now I know why my relationships all seem to end somewhere below the drain.

GAWWWD, I love this tune:
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    And how exactly does a full body MESSAGE work. "Hello arms, how are you, I'm now going to move over to the shoulders and down the back, is that ok"?
    Wow

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    There's no way she's listening to Henry Cow, Univers Zero or Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.
    So...

What's the difference between your wife and most of the posters here on Progressive Ears?

I'll bet most people here don't like those bands either.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    My wife only likes The Flower Kings a bit and loathes King Crimson. Especially the last few incarnations..
    My wife is more into World Music and quality Pop (to my ears anyway ) , which is fine. At least she has taste. Just not the same as mine. Big deal.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

It ain't happenin' - & yet mglw rates Florence & the Machine ffs

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    So...

What's the difference between your wife and most of the posters here on Progressive Ears?

Well she likes Celine Dion, Barry Manilow & Abba and I don't know how many here are admitting to that
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    The only "prog" bands my wife will tolerate are those ... without the "sissy" vocals ... Gong. She hates Yes, most Genesis, Marillion, etc!!!
    heh... ditto for my wife. She loves Return To Forever, PFM, 11th House, Anglagard, Mandrill, Camel, Osibisa, Pink Floyd and Happy the Man among lots of other Prog music I've played for her
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Exactly! My girl pretended to like the music I played for her when we were first going out.
    Basically my story too... Took me a while to figure out she really wasn't digging it at all.

I tried Close to the Edge, Trick of the Tail, Renaissance 1001 Nights Vol 1, and a Caravan cassette compilation I made for her. When all of those bombed I figured it just ain't happening.

But her tastes aren't bad: Beatles, Motown, some of the better 90s country music, James Taylor. So I can't complain too much. I did get her to like Gordon Haskell...

I'm just gonna brag a bit and say that my wife has actually turned me on to far more interesting avant/prog/metal/industrial/neo-classical music than I have for her. I was kind of embarrassed by my comparatively mono-dimensional record collection compared to hers when we first met, and was very happy to merge them!

- Matt

My wife loves Magma, Can, and VdGG (she's seen the latter twice with me and loved them both times, and has a lot from all three bands on her iPod). She scoffs at the "wimpy" prog bands like Genesis or Yes. Before we met eleven years ago, she was a fan of stuff like Big Star, Ramones, Nick Drake, The Clash, Leonard Cohen, etc, so she already had eclectic tastes in music.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    So...

Since when do PE-ers hate Henry Cow and UZ? I can understand not enjoying SGM (I personally don't care for the vocals, but I like the music), but I'd bet most people who appreciate good music would at least like UZ.

Cow and UZ are great... but I'm going for the "beautifully composed sounding" stuff before I try the Avant with my wife... so far so great. She only doesnt like the stuff with "the "sissy" vocals" and thats cool cause I dont either!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Since when do PE-ers hate Henry Cow and UZ? I can understand not enjoying SGM (I personally don't care for the vocals, but I like the music), but I'd bet most people who appreciate good music would at least like UZ.
    Ian, I think you'll find plenty of PE'ers who aren't fans of the avant and dissonant. Nothing against them it's just a question of taste.
    Ian

Magma & Henry Cow are two bands that are absolutely banned by my wife, and King Crimson or Opeth aren't happening either. She likes Misplaced Childhood, some of the softer Dream Theater, some Porcupine Tree/SW. I'd recommend Stupid Dream, A Dramatic Turn of Events ... and Storm Corrosion in the background.

My CD-collection starts with A-ha and ends with Zyma and there is a whole lot in between, not just prog.

My prog-collection started with Kayak, probably followed by Nektar, Novalis, Hoelderlin, Ange, Van der Graaf Generator, Eela Craig, ELP, Yes, Streetmark, Grobschnitt, Jean Luc Ponty and the list can go on and on and on and on.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 03-16-2013 at 02:31 PM.

My ex liked female singers, so I got as far as Magenta's "Speechless" before we broke up.

Another my wife loves is Sally Oldfield. Not really prog, though. Since music is so individual, best thing might be to try some of the suggestions in here and see what sticks. Let us know how it goes, if you think of it.

From a woman's perspective

Agents of Mercy
    Ambrosia
    Blackfield
    Echolyn
    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
    Farpoint
    The Flower Kings
    Genesis
    Gentle Giant
    IQ
    It Bites
    Izz
    Jadis
    Kansas
    Kevin Gilbert
    Kino
    Magenta
    Magic Pie
    Mars Hollow
    Moody Blues (Including the Blue Jays album)
    Moon Safari
    Mostly Autumn
    Nektar
    Pink Floyd
    Porcupine Tree
    Rush
    RWPL
    Spock's Beard
    The Tangent
    Yes
    Last edited by Hunnibee; 03-17-2013 at 02:35 AM.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Personally, I think its less important to get someone *into* prog, but to find someone who respects your tastes and appreciates why you enjoy them. This is the trick. I think the best way to convert someone is to play it in the background. Coming at it with a heavy hand will almost certainly end in disaster. This is why I wouldn't try too hard ... people seem to resent this in my experience. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Also, let her play you some of her music and give it a fair listen if you expect her to give your's a fair listen. Its all about sharing, afterall.

When I say "Give up trying to convert her", I mean that, like most things involving a relationship, it must be handled with tact. I managed to get my ex (an aspiring music teacher) to enjoy Genesis. This was done simply by playing it in the background. She even learned to play Firth of Fifth on piano. That was enough for me and in return, I went to see one of her favorite local musicians with her. I didn't enjoy it (I went home and listened to Henry Cow as an antidote), but the sharing was the important part.
    Last edited by zombywoof; 03-17-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

She would much rather listen to Bird, Trane & Ella however.
    She's got good taste.

Me too.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.