Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Artits who chose to move away from the limelight

Mark Knopfler would be one I guess. Didn’t like being famous (and presumably had made enough money not to worry about that ever).
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Anthony Phillips

Jack Bruce (although he went back to mainstream hard rock from time to time)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Peter Gabriel moved away from creating new music.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Artits
    Heh.

I'm shocked it took 24 replies before we got Cat Stevens.

Unless I missed it, I'm just as surprised nobody mentioned John Lennon.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ross Record (Fine guitarist on Pierre Moerlen's Gong - Downwind) due to stage fright

Peter Giles had exposure (performing Cat Food on TOTP) and a degree of "commercial success" or at least strong sales (ITCOTKC and ITWOP) before taking a very long sabbatical working in computing.

His re-emergence with 21st Century Schizoid Band only served to underline what we had been missing.

I know he produced and played on Todd Dillingham's 1994 album Vast Empty Spaces. Is anyone here familiar with that album? As a fan of early King Crimson and all things Canterbury, should I have it?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Andy Partridge - was it really due to stage fright?
    Not touring was due to stage fright, but XTC made bigger waves afterward. His very low profile since XTC was more a personal choice, but that seems to finally be ending with the new release series.

Add Fine Young Cannibals to the list. A worldwide Number One album, then nothing.

Phoebe Snow, though mainly because caring for her daughter was a full-time job.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I get a kick out of the fact that the Clash's first drummer, Terry Chimes, is now a chiropractor, like me. :-)
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    My brother ran into her at a grocery store back then.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I get a kick out of the fact that the Clash's first drummer, Terry Chimes, is now a chiropractor, like me. :-)
    So is former Mothers of Invention drummer Art Tripp.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    My brother ran into her at a grocery store back then.
    Hope no one got hurt.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

If they did, I know a few good chiropractors. Did not know Artie Tripp was one,though. Cool!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Hope no one got hurt.
    It was in the produce section, so there were only some bruises.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Similar story for first violinist of that rock string quartet Bond, Haylie Ecker. She quit the band to be a full time mum.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    And then there's Rod Evans. Jumped, or pushed?
    Rod Evans was pushed out of DP for sure, because the others wanted to get in Gillan. But he did stay in the music business for a while afterwards, forming the band Captain Beyond. He left that band after two albums and then quit music for a long time. Much later, he was dug up by a management company to front a fake DP under the pretense that as a former member, he had a right to the name (the company had tried to get Nick Simper involved too). At this time, the real DP had broken up. This band was eventually sued for trademark infringement, following which Evans again quit music and disappeared.

^^ The suit against Evans was the primary driver of the band reuniting in '84. All Mark II songs were credited to Blackmore, Gillan, Glover, Lord, Paice. In order to successfully sue, they had to be together as one unit.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Syd Barrett would qualify me thinks..

Grace Slick (I'm kind of surprised she hasn't been mentioned yet unless I missed it)
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Grace Slick (I'm kind of surprised she hasn't been mentioned yet unless I missed it)
    I'm not sure where to find the link, but someone here posted a concert Grace was singing on with a band. She's not the stunning beauty of days past but she's still performing.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

John Evan from Jethro Tull comes to mind. It's a bit hard for me to get around the idea of being able to play that well and also have a full-on stage presence and then just decide to stop and move into the construction industry.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Kurt Cobain