Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any antique collectors out there?

Any antique collectors out there?

I have been tempted to start a thread about this for quite some time.

We collect mostly Art Nouveau these days, and I have some cool antique prints and maps.

And, yes, I have some antique 78 RPMs and a Victrola.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Here's a city view that I recently purchased. It's from 1543, nearly 500 years old.

map.jpg
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My wife and I collect mid-century modern furniture. Our house is like a showroom for Heywood Wakefield.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Here's a city view that I recently purchased. It's from 1543, nearly 500 years old.

map.jpg
    That's really cool. I find maps and drawings from past centuries fascinating.

I've got a couple old building plan sketches and maps hanging on my wall, but nothing as old as 1543 that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That's really cool. I find maps and drawings from past centuries fascinating.

I've got a couple old building plan sketches and maps hanging on my wall, but nothing as old as 1543 that's for sure.
    I've always been intrigued by the beauty of maps since I was a kid looking at National Geographic. I only recently started buying old ones, but am, in no way, a serious collector. I have three, including this Dutch one from circa 1705. What's especially interesting is how many mythical lands made it into maps over the centuries. The most notable is the so-call Island of California, which appeared in North America from the mid-1600s into the mid-1700s.

world-map.jpg

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Does stuff I bought new but I still have in my old age count?

My parents were antique collectors. They're now in the process of selling them for pennies on the dollar, to save me having to get rid of the stuff when they kick the bucket.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    My parents were antique collectors. They're now in the process of selling them for pennies on the dollar, to save me having to get rid of the stuff when they kick the bucket.
    Prices fluctuate so much. When we first started buying antiques about 25 years ago, the prices for furniture were considerably higher than they are today. Plus, everybody restored and refinished everything back then. Now the most desirable items are those that haven't been touched.

Other items have skyrocketed, especially antiques from China, which are being sought by the wealthy Chinese.

Then there's glass wear, which we never collected, thankfully. It's bottomed out, because the market is so flooded.

Ebay played a big part in driving costs down, since people learned that many things simply weren't as rare as we thought.

Some categories are doing very well and others have plummeted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Does stuff I bought new but I still have in my old age count?

Depends on what. "Antique" is defined differently, depending on the item. Antique cars are, I believe 50 years or older. Furniture isn't considered antique unless it's 100 years old.

Prices fluctuate so much. When we first started buying antiques about 25 years ago, the prices for furniture were considerably higher than they are today. Plus, everybody restored and refinished everything back then. Now the most desirable items are those that haven't been touched.

Other items have skyrocketed, especially antiques from China, which are being sought by the wealthy Chinese.

Then there's glass wear, which we never collected, thankfully. It's bottomed out, because the market is so flooded.

Ebay played a big part in driving costs down, since people learned that many things simply weren't as rare as we thought.

Some categories are doing very well and others have plummeted.
    My father paid a premium for various proof quarters. Now they're worth exactly 25 cents.

My father paid a premium for various proof quarters. Now they're worth exactly 25 cents.
    Coincidentally, I was just looking up the value of proof sets. My dad bought them all back in the day. They're not worth much at all.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Depends on what. "Antique" is defined differently, depending on the item. Antique cars are, I believe 50 years or older. Furniture isn't considered antique unless it's 100 years old.
    Much better answer than my jokey post required, thanks.
    I guess it would make sense that cars could be considered antiques faster than furniture.
    I wonder about electronics/electrical devices and computers?

^^ Take into consideration well maintained furniture lasts decades longer than well maintained cars. Since cars have a shorter life span, one which stood the test of time is a BFD.

Computers depreciate exponentially faster than cars. The only ones with substantial value are the early PCs like the Altair, and Apple I...even then only if they still operate.

Computers depreciate exponentially faster than cars. The only ones with substantial value are the early PCs like the Altair, and Apple I...even then only if they still operate.
    True, but electronics also includes old radios. I've seen nothing online about what is considered an antique radio versus vintage. Generally, it's the 100-year-old rule with most items, from what I understand.

^^ High-end, all analog audio equipment has held its value pretty well. Even as recent as the 70s. Once digital tech started creeping in, you're more likely to find that equipment in a thrift store than an auction. But other items like Victrolas, which which are about a century old take on value as an "item," regardless of whether they actually work. If they do work, their value shoots through the roof.
    Last edited by progmatist; 07-12-2021 at 03:04 PM.

^^ High-end, all analog audio equipment has held its value pretty well. Even as recent as the 70s. Once digital tech started creeping in, you're more likely to find that equipment in a thrift store than an auction. But other items like Victrolas, which which are about a century old take on value as an "item," regardless of whether they actually work. If they do work, their value shoots through the roof.
    We inherited a Victrola from my in-laws with a whole lot of 78s, which are in fantastic condition. It's certainly workable, as I've heard it played. Although we never played it.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I somehow started collecting oddities....some rather old.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

My parents had a small antique shop once too, and I sort of got the bug from them (more for just collecting overall, going to estate sales, flea markets, etc.). I was always an Antique Roadshow fan (and the British one too).

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    My parents had a small antique shop once too, and I sort of got the bug from them (more for just collecting overall, going to estate sales, flea markets, etc.). I was always an Antique Roadshow fan (and the British one too).
    Antique dealers are not particularly thrilled with Antiques Roadshow valuations. They claim they're often too high. Of course, they REALLY hate American Pickers and the idiotic prices they pay for stuff.

Banned
    ... Of course, they REALLY hate American Pickers...
    Who doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    Who doesn't?
    Some people fall for it. I used to watch it, because I just like the thrill of the search. But it's so damned scripted that it's lost any semblance of authenticity.

Banned
    Yes, I was being snarky, I like watching people uncover or restore old treasures, but TBH my impression of Mike (and somewhat Fritz) is pretty low. A google search will dig up the shameful dirt that illustrates the character of these individuals quickly. Fritz was first a hopeless drunk, then semi-crippled by reconstructive back surgery and now debilitated by a stroke - but Mike doesn't give a shit as evidenced by his actions and the testimony of others. My impression is that Wolfie-boy is an opportunist like that even worse lowlife Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars (who is such a scumbag he actually campaigned for Trump), but that's just the paroxysm which indicates an even deeper rot...

^^ I had the same impressions. Mike comes off as a selfish prick.

I collect cast iron figural bottle openers, mostly made in the '40s and '50s. Here's a couple of examples. The one on the left is similar to the one shown on the US version of Pink Floyd Relics album. I have a couple hundred in all.
    20181020_093219.jpg