Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marillion - Fugazi Deluxe Edition 9-10-21

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    You may want to skip the Marillion threads.
    Five percent is such a precise number? What exactly do you like? Have you actually heard there whole catalogue?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Five percent is such a precise number? What exactly do you like? Have you actually heard there whole catalogue?
    They have a new singer!
    The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long day’s toil.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Amazon's prices were about the norm for a CD Booklet....$39.98 and the LP Box was $79.98.....but Free Prime shipping.

ImportCD has not listed it yet........and I'll wait to see if Ken @ LE will stock it.
    Laser Edge's pre-order is up! They would get my business before the others any day, but a very nice price on the CD box.

Racket shipping confirmation email has arrived.

ImportCD sent my shipping notice today. If it’s as fast as the Caravan box….then it could be here by Saturday.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    You're in good company. Since Fish left the band, Fugazi has been played three times, Assassing twice, Jigsaw three times and Cinderella Search once. On not one of those occasions did H sing the vocals. All were during conventions - swap the band with fans (including Martin Jakubski of StillMarillion) singing in place of H for all but the three Jigsaws, which were played as instrumentals by the band while the audience sang. H has stated that he doesn't connect with the songs on the album and so he's reluctant to perform them.

Interestingly, She Chameleon was only played live prior to the album being recorded.
    What a weird way to do “Jigsaw” (which is to my mind the one first-rate song on the album).

I was at one of those instrumental/singalong performances of Jigsaw. It was fun but yes, a bit weird. Problem is, it was on A-Z night at one of the weekends, and they don't really have many songs that start with "J", so there wasn't a lot of choice. Off the top of my head, the only other I can think of is Just For The Record, which I'm quite sure Hogarth would also not want to sing.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Just finished watching the interviews about the album. Strangely, this is kinda my favorite Fish album

My son ordered from Amazon. He got his yesterday. I ordered from Laser CD. Mine hasn’t shipped yet. ��. Hope to get mine sometime next week….
    So much music....so little time....

Mine came from Amazon yesterday haven’t had a chance to listen to it yet. Flicked through the book interesting information about Andy Wards stint as Marillion’s drummer.

I'm strangely excited to hear this when it comes out, in spite of myself.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I like Fish era but very seldom ever listen to it. It's like two different bands. I wasn't going to buy the deluxe Fugazi but it was $37 Canadian with shipping from Amazon. I couldn't resist it.

That's $28 USD, with shipping. Pretty sure that's as cheap as you can find it.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 09-12-2021 at 08:46 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Just finished watching the interviews about the album. Strangely, this is kinda my favorite Fish album
    Certainly no sophomore drop in quality! It's a close call between Misplaced and Fugazi in the Fish era best album but they are all great

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    My son ordered from Amazon. He got his yesterday. I ordered from Laser CD. Mine hasn’t shipped yet. ��. Hope to get mine sometime next week….
    Expecting them to arrive on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Expecting them to arrive on Monday.
    Thanks for the info…..looking forward to it!
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    ImportCD sent my shipping notice today. If it’s as fast as the Caravan box….then it could be here by Saturday.
    Got mine yesterday (Saturday) from the same place and, on top of it, together with the Van der Graaf Generator box
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I like Fish era but very seldom ever listen to it. It's like two different bands. I wasn't going to buy the deluxe Fugazi but it was $37 Canadian with shipping from Amazon. I couldn't resist it.

That's $28 USD, with shipping. Pretty sure that's as cheap as you can find it.
    Agreed and same here, ordered from Amazon.ca - I was at those Montreal "Fugazi" shows in 1984 and have a vivid memory on how great those were. To have it now as an official release makes it even more special.
    A month later that year, I was also at the same venue (Le Spectrum - now demolished) for the King Crimson shows that were released as "Absent Lovers in Montreal".

My Fugazi deluxe copy has been delivered! :-)
    Last edited by Rajaz; 09-13-2021 at 11:05 AM. Reason: update

I never was a big Marillion fan and hesitated for a while before ordering this box. Happy I did: this package is close to perfect and it's hard to find anything to criticize. I didn't listened to Fugazi for at least 15 years and rediscovering it with "fresh" ears in a remixed version was a pleasant experience: it stood the test of time very well (except for some typical 80ies sounds and "edgy"production the 2021 remix didn't really smoothed out) and reminded me how great a singer and showman Fish was (sorry to have to use the past tense but his voice hasn't been spared by aging) and I still consider Fugazi as the best Marillion record from the Fish era. (with Clutching... as a close second but only the first third of the record). The (2CD) bonus Montreal live shows are well recorded, a very energetic performance from a young band at their peak. The (ultra-long) DVD/Bluray is fully (over)loaded with everything a Marillion-fan could ever dream of, including a 50 min. TV live concert, the booklet is wonderful and informative with all lyrics printed in a easy to read format, and last (but not least) the price is very attractive. One of this year's best buy for sure, no Marillion fan should be without. Highly (very) recommended.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 09-16-2021 at 11:28 PM.

I’m looking forward to hearing this version when it arrives. I pre-ordered from Laser’s Edge a while back. Curious whether my opinion of it will soften upon hearing this new mix. At the very least the bonus material sounds quite promising!
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Got my copy yesterday - watching the Swiss TV show now. I don't think it's one I've seen before, so to have something from this period with such good quality is really nice!

The remaster sounded good, though without headphones it was hard to pickup differences. Fish's vocals did seem more prominent and clear somehow, which seemed good. I'd like to read a review that goes into differences in the remix in detail. Haven't watched the docu yet.
    The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long day’s toil.

My copy arrived today, so I'm hoping to dive into the album proper for a re-revisit.

Well, I have to say this new mix had some differences that were immediately noticeable to me. I guess I'm more familiar with Fugazi than I thought.

Forgot what a cool song "Assassing" actually is. It's still my favorite off this record, and the remix actually improves it a bit I think. "Jigsaw" sounded pretty great too. I'm going to spend some more time with this one.

That live rendition of "Cinderella Search" is terrific also. I'm a little disappointed that there isn't a remixed version of the studio cut, but that's a minor gripe. The included live show seems to be quite worthwhile.

Generally, I don't like saying negative things about music here -- especially about music that I know other folks enjoy. So I won't repeat my feelings about Fugazi for the umpteenth time here. But "Assassing" was one of those songs I found when (in my teenage years) I was discovering that there was a "second wave" of prog in the 80s, and the feeling this song gave me was second to none. It really felt like a musical free-for-all at the time, where all the musicians were given their chance to shine. Mark Kelly's synth solo in the middle is one I still love, and can remember the way it made me feel hearing it as a 19 year-old just learning about this stuff and having aspirations of playing keyboards in a band one day. I'll always have a soft spot for this song.

Oh, and Ian Mosely? That guy is a seriously underrated drummer, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Your son is a Marillion fan? How cool is that?!

How old is he? And what's his favorite album by them?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Forgot what a cool song "Assassing" actually is. It's still my favorite off this record, and the remix actually improves it a bit I think.
    To me, it loses some of its oomph and power, especially the opening, with the vocals tamed. They are as important as the music in that section. Fortunately, the remix is mostly uphill from there, apart from - as I've mentioned - the chopped intro to the title track which still seems like such an arbitrary decision to me. It's like the record skipped or something.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    To me, it loses some of its oomph and power, especially the opening, with the vocals tamed. They are as important as the music in that section. Fortunately, the remix is mostly uphill from there, apart from - as I've mentioned - the chopped intro to the title track which still seems like such an arbitrary decision to me. It's like the record skipped or something.
    Interesting... I didn't really notice a difference in the vocals, so I'll have to go back and listen again to compare. I confess I was only paying attention to the clarity of the instruments.