Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated Bands

[QUOTE=Trane;1056694]
    Actually, I wasn't thinking of Synclaviers or others forms of guitar synths.
    The Synclavier isn't a guitar synth. Or at least it wasn't conceived as one. They did eventually equip it with it's own guitar interface (but you had to use one of the Roland G series guitars, or something equipped with the aftermarket kits that Roland offered), adn then later it was MIDI equipped, so you could use it with any MIDI instrument. But most people used it, used it as a keyboard instrument.
    I was thinling of everyday synths.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "everyday synths". Keyboard instruments, perhaps?
    I never witnessed Rusjh on stage post-Pictures, so I don't know what Alex was doing during the newer material's execution.
    There's guitar running through most o fit, but it was kinda buried under the synths.
    I mean there is so little guitar (upfront) in those album, that I would've stormed out of the band
    I seem to recall that when they were gearing up to write music for the next album, I forget which one, Alex suggested that he wanted to do something without any keyboards at all, and he kinda made it sound like that was a big condition for him to even think about going forward with the next album.
    Bass pedals were generally used on stage by Geddy while he was on keys, but I guess that got transfered to Lifeson (never heard that before, though) to keep him busy and give him some importance on stage
    Alex was playing bass pedals as early as Hemispheres. Watch the La Villa Strangiato video. YOu can see him playing the bass pedals there. I seem to recall that at some point Geddy got Alex and Neil's case, because he felt he was diong so much work onstage, sometimes doing three things at once, he wanted the others to share in that load. So Alex started playing pedals as well. Eventually, when electronic percussion tech developed suitably, Neil started triggering sequences and synth parts from his drumkit also.

Also, "bass pedals" weren't always used to play bass lines, and not always when Geddy was playing keyboards, e.g. on Xanadu, there's a synth going during the first vocal section, while Geddy is playing bass guitar. I'm not sure if that's Alex or Geddy playing it, but it's definitely not a bass part.

But yeah, maybe Lifeson wasn't writing much or couldn't come up with sstuff that would sound like the then-modern Rush sonics.
    He might've tried writing more metal stuff (I mean guitars sort of survived the 80's via all those forms of metal musics).
    I think they wanted to move away from the more "metal" sounding stuff. I think at least from Geddy's stand point, one thing was he wanted to be able to sing in a lower register. I've seen at least one interview where he said the reason he sang the way he did in the 70's was because that was the only way you could sing when playing that kind of music. So I think he wanted to take the music in a different direction, if for no other reason than for him to not have shriek his way through everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    They weren't at all cool in the UK, and hadn't been for some time - self-indulgent old dinosaurs and all that nonsense, peddled by the music press and various DJs.
    Meanwhile here in the States, many kids in my high school made plans to hitch hike to Los Angeles, hoping to somehow get tickets to one of only 2 US shows on the Wall tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well it's clear they went less "metal" and Geddy's voice softened
    Geddy ditching the screeching falsetto was the thing we hated most. We were of the school which held vocals must be high and powerful, to cut above the guitars. Like Zeppelin era Robert Plant, Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson, et cetera.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I also remember Alex saying that some of his guitar parts on those mid 80's records were actually written as synth parts, but transferred to the guitar so that he'd have something to play.
    Alex eventually got fed and told Geddy to lay off the keyboards. He felt if Geddy played everything keys, why does he even need to be in the band?
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I saw Rush tour their first two albums and then moved into deeper prog waters

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Meanwhile here in the States, many kids in my high school made plans to hitch hike to Los Angeles, hoping to somehow get tickets to one of only 2 US shows on the Wall tour.
    They played between five and seven shows in each city they The Wall in (except London, where they did 10, five in 80 and five in 81).
    Geddy ditching the screeching falsetto was the thing we hated most. We were of the school which held vocals must be high and powerful, to cut above the guitars. Like Zeppelin era Robert Plant, Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson, et cetera.
    Yeah, well, it was probably either that or stop singing altogether.

I'm not sure what you mean by "everyday synths".
    Moog is the fat one
    That can't abide the Roland
    That can't abide the Yamaha
    That can't abide the Eurorack
    And different synths
    On different plinths
    And so on and so on and EEEowwwEEEowwwEEEEowww...
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by loshammeros View Post
    I saw Rush tour their first two albums and then moved into deeper prog waters
    Rush s/t is considered by most to be more of a blues than a prog album. Fly by Night was a transitional album, with John leaving and Neil entering. It's also Geddy's least favorite. It wasn't until Caress of Steel that Neil started writing the lyrics, and his drumming helped steer the band in more of a prog direction.

Yeah, well, it was probably either that or stop singing altogether.
    Same with Ian Gillan. Either stop screaming his guts out, or stop singing altogether.

Rush s/t is considered by most to be more of a blues ... album.
    Really? I first heard songs from that album on the radio when it came out and bought it later on. It's definitely not a Prog-Rock album, but I've never once heard it called a Blues (or even Blues Rock) album, and have never thought of it that way myself.

It wasn't until Caress of Steel that Neil started writing the lyrics
    Neil wrote the majority of the lyrics on Fly By Night. It was only Best I Can and In The End that were written by Geddy.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Really? I first heard songs from that album on the radio when it came out and bought it later on. It's definitely not a Prog-Rock album, but I've never once heard it called a Blues (or even Blues Rock) album, and have never thought of it that way myself.
    "Blues-Rock" is more of a recent description, by non-proggers. Prog rock wasn't called "prog rock," nor heavy metal "heavy metal" back in the day either.

I remember seeing it reviewed at the time as a Zeppelin clone, and that was all I knew of Rush for years.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I remember seeing it reviewed at the time as a Zeppelin clone, and that was all I knew of Rush for years.
    I hear no Led Zeppelin on that first album. Sonically it has more in common with Black Sabbath. It's early 70s proto-metal. I like the album. At least one song from that album got played a lot live, well into the 2000s.

"Blues-Rock" is more of a recent description, by non-proggers. Prog rock wasn't called "prog rock," nor heavy metal "heavy metal" back in the day either.
    Depends when "back in the day" was. By the mid-70s, it certainly was.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I saw that too, but most were drawing parallels between the vocals of Robert Plant and Geddy Lee, and Zeppelin had smoothed out the Blues Rock of the early albums by 1974 anyway.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Depends when "back in the day" was. By the mid-70s, it certainly was.
    Absolutely - We referred to it as progressive rock in high shool.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Most Overated Bands:
    Bachman Turner Overdrive

__________?

Of course nobody classifies Rush s/t specifically as a *BLUES* album. They use the more nuanced description "more of a" blues album, as I originally stated.

Same with Ian Gillan. Either stop screaming his guts out, or stop singing altogether.
    See also: Robert Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Most Overated Bands:
    Bachman Turner Overdrive

__________?
    Bachman Turning Overated?

or Bachman Turning Overweight?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Of course nobody classifies Rush s/t specifically as a *BLUES* album. They use the more nuanced description "more of a" blues album, as I originally stated.
    Well I didn’t become a fan of Rush until the 80s, but after just sampling the album in question and being 66 years and growing up with hard electric blues rock, to my ears it fits right there. Early Zeppelin was very electric blues rock, and it’s definitely right in there even with almost a higher pitch and grit vocal in Geddy Lee. Not blues though like SRV which is blues rock.

Imaginary conversation:

Dude: The Beatles are so overrated.

Other Dude: You don't know what you're talking about!

Dude: Well I hate them and they are overrated. Who cares how much they've influenced modern rock music or how many records they've sold. They still suck.

Other Dude: You're a fucking idiot!

Dude: That's probably true...nevermind. *Walks away back to his sad pathetic life*

"The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Bachman Turning Overated?

or Bachman Turning Overweight?
    They got that way because they overate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Imaginary conversation:

Dude: The Beatles are so overrated.

Other Dude: You don't know what you're talking about!

Dude: Well I hate them and they are overrated. Who cares how much they've influenced modern rock music or how many records they've sold. They still suck.

Other Dude: You're a fucking idiot!

Dude: That's probably true...nevermind. *Walks away back to his sad pathetic life*

I don't need no arms around me
    And I dont need no drugs to calm me.
    I have seen the writing on the wall.
    Don't think I need anything at all.
    No! Don't think I'll need anything at all.
    All in all it was all just bricks in the wall.
    All in all you were all just bricks in the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    They got that way because they overate.
    D-D-D-D-Don't needs seconds yet...

Aw, just bring 'em! Bring the thirds, too. Save yourself a trip!

Actually, I wasn't thinking of Synclaviers or others forms of guitar synths. I was thinling of everyday synths.
    I never witnessed Rusjh on stage post-Pictures, so I don't know what Alex was doing during the newer material's execution.
    I mean there is so little guitar (upfront) in those album, that I would've stormed out of the band
    Bass pedals were generally used on stage by Geddy while he was on keys, but I guess that got transfered to Lifeson (never heard that before, though) to keep him busy and give him some importance on stage).
    Alex is one guy. He played guitar the way one guy would play guitar. Everyone knows better, but your wording suggests he was polishing his whammy all day as Geddy was pulling a Keith Emerson while also singing and playing bass. The synths were louder in the mix, but that was the order of the day. I love those albums as they are.

Your homework: Watch Grace Under Pressure Live.

P.S. Watch A Show of Hands, too.
    Last edited by dropforge; 07-17-2021 at 02:45 PM.

Rush s/t is considered by most to be more of a blues than a prog album. Fly by Night was a transitional album, with John leaving and Neil entering. It's also Geddy's least favorite. It wasn't until Caress of Steel that Neil started writing the lyrics, and his drumming helped steer the band in more of a prog direction.
    Neil wrote the lyrics for every song on Fly by Night except "Best I Can" and "In the End." Those were written before Neil joined. Geddy wrote 'em.
    Last edited by dropforge; 07-17-2021 at 02:56 PM.