Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated Bands

Banned

Most Overrated Bands

I generally hate click bait stuff like this, but I just agree with everything this young dude says. He recognizes both the superlative of bands like 6. Genesis but also the over-rated ness of them:

https://newarena.com/entertainment/t...s-of-all-time/

I agree with some but not all. Anyway, how do you know the guy is young? I see no reference to his age.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I agree with some but not all. Anyway, how do you know the guy is young? I see no reference to his age.
    Depends on your definition of young. I thought I read where he was speaking from a frame of reference that was much younger than most of the bands on this list. Or his exposure was well after the fact these bands were first popular.

Banned
    “One of the things I remember about middle and high school was that a few of the artsy, pretentious kids around me discovered The Doors. You would’ve thought that they had discovered some poetic genius. Instead, they found a band whose lead singer possessed enough artsy pretension to make these kids look like rank amateurs. I’ll give The Doors props for having terrific musicianship. Ray Manzarek could play some keys. Despite that, Jim Morrison was so obsessed with his own cleverness that most of the band’s output comes across as silly and ridiculous today. The worst thing about Morrison is that he doesn’t sound like a rock star. Instead, his vocals put forth the image of a smarmy lounge singer. I can’t help but imagine that he would be doing a lounge act in Vegas if he were alive today.”

When I read this, it reminded of millenial opinions of 60’s music. I’ll agree that it is possible he is referring to someone who lived somewhere isolated from the 60’s, but discovered the Doors during the 60’s and in the Doors peak period. However, I think not likely. Discovering the Doors is more likely to have happened in high school 30 years ago than 50 years ago.

When it comes down to it, every band in the world, some where or by somebody, is overrated. All depends on what you see and hear. (Heck, in the A&E Kisstory, even Gene Simmons says something to the effect that Kiss were just four assholes that wanted to have a good time.) Some of these I've never heard of and some I wish I had not. Glad to see that the Clash and the Cramps didn't make the list, though I'm sure they're on somebody's list.

I read a book years ago in which the author convincingly tears down revered icons like Sgt. Pepper's and Pet Sounds. You'd almost want to believe him, his arguments were that good.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The only one included that I disagree with is Genesis (of course.)
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I actually agree with his inclusion of Genesis. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks they're overrated.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I actually agree with all of them, including Genesis (and Radiohead who I adore). He's put in bands he loves in there its their god like status that drives overrated that's his position. On Genesis he likes their Gabriel stuff, it's that some fans claim they are "the greatest rock band of all-time"

I don't know if I've ever heard Bon Iver, I probably have but unknowingly.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

When a website makes me click to another page for each thing in a list, I'm out, especially for 25!
    Got better things to do like, pick my nose, clean toejam or change the litter box for miss kitty. lol
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    For me, Genesis is the greatest rock band, ever. That's just me - and stems from my love for the band since first seeing them live in 1976.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I basically agree with all except for Creedence and The Doors, both of which were completely transcendent and defining endeavours in cultural terms.

However, some of these names hardly warrant inclusion to begin with - Imaginary Dragons? When were they ever "very overrated"? A completely irrelevant junction of statement from an age when rock culture was all but gone to begin with. The same goes for Bon Iver.

U2 belong here.

As for Radiohead, they were arguably the most overrated unit in pop/rock since Led Zeppelin, although I like both. Catering to an audience of reception who never knew much of or indeed cared for such a seminal aspect as "rock/pop cultural history".

And just like -ALL- other such self-proclaimed "controversial" lists, The Stooges, Springsteen, The Clash, The Smiths or Sonic Youth are obviously nowhere to be found. And I like a cuppof them too.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I basically agree with all except for Creedence and The Doors, both of which were completely transcendent and defining endeavours in cultural terms.

However, some of these names hardly warrant inclusion to begin with - Imaginary Dragons? When were they ever "very overrated"? A completely irrelevant junction of statement from an age when rock culture was all but gone to begin with. The same goes for Bon Iver.

U2 belong here.

As for Radiohead, they were arguably the most overrated unit in pop/rock since Led Zeppelin, although I like both. Catering to an audience of reception who never knew much of or indeed cared for such a seminal aspect as "rock/pop cultural history".

And just like -ALL- other such self-proclaimed "controversial" lists, The Stooges, Springsteen, The Clash, The Smiths or Sonic Youth are obviously nowhere to be found. And I like a cuppof them too.
    The Smiths...now you're talking overrated with a capital O. Just ahead of the Stone Roses.

Every band is rated exactly as it should be (by whoever is doing the rating), so there is no over- or under-rating them.
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The Bedbugs, Mosquitoes and Jet Screamer were nowhere near as good as The Wayouts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    For me, Genesis is the greatest rock band, ever. That's just me - and stems from my love for the band since first seeing them live in 1976.
    Genesis is one of the greatest rock bands ever. But the “over rating” for many people this reviewer is targeting are the great majority of Genesis fans which developed in the 80’s. Cable and MTV had a lot to do with driving the popularity of bands in the 80’s that had a visual appeal. In the entire history, Genesis was serious musical and visual entertainment, and the PC version of Genesis, and PC had a lot to do with developing state of the art light shows using the special light they invented. The mirrors and lasers in the ATTWT show was fantastic, my first show. Peter Gabriel and Genesis had some of the best videos on MTV. So whatever one thinks about the music, the visual stuff has always been top shelf, and in the 80’s, a gold mine.

Banned
    At a climactic point during the epic song “The Musical Box”, Collins leaped down from his drum riser and bounded out to the center stage microphone while the band played to a crescendo. As Collins sang the refrain, suddenly individual bolts of lime green light pierced the darkness from high above the singer, forming a three-dimensional green cone that rapidly encircled the singer’s frozen form. I fully expected him to disappear before our very eyes, transported away like a real-life Captain Kirk!
    We had just witnessed our first laser light show. Genesis became so innovative with stage lighting that their show became the envy of every touring band, and soon requests to rent the Genesis lighting gear and technicians when they were off the road became so frequent that, within five years, Genesis and manager Tony Smith actually invested in the Dallas-based company Vari-Lite International to do nothing but that, and in so doing transformed the state of lighting in Broadway theater, television, concerts, motion pictures, churches, and amusement parks. The company employed 450 people at its peak (former In The Studio engineer / editor Doug Hall is a Vari-Lite alumnus ) with annual sales of $91.5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I actually agree with his inclusion of Genesis. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks they're overrated.
    That depends on whether we're talking about 70s or 80s Genesis. For all intents and purposes, 2 completely different bands.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    That depends on whether we're talking about 70s or 80s Genesis. For all intents and purposes, 2 completely different bands.
    Except that both bands had incredible visuals.

I only read the entry about Genesis, which I disagreed with of course since that's my favorite band. But whatever, it's just an opinion.

Don't think I've ever heard anyone call Genesis "the greatest rock band of all time though".

Agree with his opinion of Genesis!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I only read the entry about Genesis, which I disagreed with of course since that's my favorite band. But whatever, it's just an opinion.

Don't think I've ever heard anyone call Genesis "the greatest rock band of all time though".
    See post #10.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    See post #10.
    I should have added that before this thread I had never heard anyone say that about them. To me Genesis are the best, but that's just me (and you).

I only consider bands to be overrated when fan go to great lengths to defend or denounce them.
    My internal ranking system cares not for yours.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

^ When I was young (teens and twenties) I wanted validation from others for the things I liked and disliked. Nowadays I just enjoy what I like and continue looking for new stuff, regardless of who else likes it. Articles like this are a waste of time IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I only consider bands to be overrated when fan go to great lengths to defend or denounce them.
    My internal ranking system cares not for yours.
    Are you saying that all it takes is for one fan to say a band is overrated, with great defense or denouncement, for you to consider the band overrated.

A rating system only based on one opinion, is a singularity and unstable