Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1144

Thread: New YES album "The Quest" out 1 Oct

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    It's credited as a co-write. I can't recall anything saying it was more from one or other of them...? There is the story that Sherwood recorded a bass part expecting Squire to record the final bass part, but Squire liked what he'd done and insisted they keep it. That might imply Sherwood came up with the bass part, but it's not clear.

Henry
    I had thought that The More We Live-Let Go marked the last time Eddie Offord was credited as a producer on a Yes record. I had assumed Chris Squire had brought him in to work on that, but I believe Offord also had a procuction credit on one of the Rabin tunes from the Union album, so I am not sure how Offord came to be involved in that project.

Just really enjoyed "Future Memories" which is another subtle interesting one. Am really liking the new Jon, lyrics-wise. He apparently wrote this one by himself. Thought the track's got excellent supportive playing from Howe and Sherwood, in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    I believe Offord also had a procuction credit on one of the Rabin tunes from the Union album, so I am not sure how Offord came to be involved in that project.
    "Miracle of Life," credited as "Produced by Trevor Rabin with Mark Mancina and Eddy Offord."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by realprog View Post
    Just really enjoyed "Future Memories" which is another subtle interesting one. Am really liking the new Jon, lyrics-wise. He apparently wrote this one by himself. Thought the track's got excellent supportive playing from Howe and Sherwood, in particular.
    There's a lovely little track in there somewhere. I don't personally care for Howe's electric playing though, I think it overcomplicates the song.

As much as I think much of The Quest is "under-cooked", I think this one is "over-baked".

Would love to hear a Jon/Billy only version with just acoustic, bass, and harmony vocals.

After multiple plays I've grown from liking it to loving it(minus the bonus disc & Music To My Ears).

I agree, that's a beautiful little tune.

Quote Originally Posted by terryturtle View Post
    After multiple plays I've grown from liking it to loving it(minus the bonus disc & Music To My Ears).
    Yep, me too although I quite like Sister Sleeping Soul too. The more you listen the more there is to enjoy, well done Yes.

Played the whole LP last night (USPS finally delivered it, a week after having said it was delivered already ), and really enjoyed it. I still think that "Sister Sleeping Soul" should have been on the main album, but it's still included and that's good enough for me.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Played the whole LP last night (USPS finally delivered it, a week after having said it was delivered already ), and really enjoyed it. I still think that "Sister Sleeping Soul" should have been on the main album, but it's still included and that's good enough for me.
    Would have been a good replacement for 'Music To My Ears'.

I like the orchestration, what there is of it, on The Quest. I have been listening to Steve Howe’s album Time from 2011 today. This album seems like something of a kindred spirit to me, at least as far as how Steve Howe the musician and producer approaches The Quest. Give Time a listen when you get the chance. It’s an underrated album.

My Lasers Edge order of the artbook version, (2CD - 1 Bluray) arrived today

Love this idea, and the words are printed large enough so that you can actually read them

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Y View Post
    My Lasers Edge order of the artbook version, (2CD - 1 Bluray) arrived today

Love this idea, and the words are printed large enough so that you can actually read them
    The booklet that's included in the Blue Vinyl version is very nice, and I was surprised how large the lettering is for the lyrics..
    As a senior citizen of the world, who requires reading glasses, this is fantastic.

I have to say, after 4 listens all the way through, on different nights, my wife and I are still both enjoying it.
    It's also one of the few vinyl albums I've bought, where a cd is included, the cd sounds absolutely wonderful.
    So when I'm feeling lazy, just pop the cd in and we can still enjoy The Quest.
    Great music, production and mastering.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Y View Post
    My Lasers Edge order of the artbook version, (2CD - 1 Bluray) arrived today)
    Has anyone who's liked the album heard the Blu-ray surround sound version through a decent system in having thoughts about how it sounds in comparison?

This has been the most positive view of the album I've seen which appeared on the band's Twitter feed: https://www.rockandbluesmuse.com/202...yes-the-quest/

Has anyone who's liked the album heard the Blu-ray surround sound version through a decent system in having thoughts about how it sounds in comparison?
    I like the album a lot

I played the DTS MA layer this afternoon, but I found it competent but not spectacular as far as the surround pallet

There is distinct use of all channels but it doesn't have that certain sparkle on first listen

I'm a big fan of Wilsons Yes surround efforts, this is good but not there based on first listen however there is another surround mix included that I will try tomorrow I think

The Artbook is a pretty novel idea in any case, and I think this version is the only way to get that

Banned
    Ordered from Laser CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Ordered from Laser CD.
    Did you order it just now(as in the past day or so). I preordered mine a while ago from LE and received my copy yesterday. It was delayed but apparently they shipped it a few days ahead of the postponed release date.

Anyway, I only listened once so far. I'll have to play it more before I can make a fair assessment.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Banned
    I ordered it day before yesterday.

Just got shipping info on the deluxe box today from LE.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Finally received my copy, free shipping with Amazon Prime. I'll play it tonight. That packaging looks great.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I haven't really had the desire to play this one again but I'll try again later today.

The album apparently came and went. It didn't even crack the top 200 on billboard and I doubt it will next week. Part of that could be because of how the physical release date was different than the digital. It did do ok in other countries though. However, it's been sitting only at number thirteen for two straight weeks on the gagliarchives(a weekly prog show) while the latest Steve Hackett has sat at number one there for six straight weeks or so. Now I know what my next purchase might be.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

My physical copy arrived yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I haven't really had the desire to play this one again but I'll try again later today.

The album apparently came and went. It didn't even crack the top 200 on billboard and I doubt it will next week. Part of that could be because of how the physical release date was different than the digital. It did do ok in other countries though. However, it's been sitting only at number thirteen for two straight weeks on the gagliarchives(a weekly prog show) while the latest Steve Hackett has sat at number one there for six straight weeks or so. Now I know what my next purchase might be.
    I rolled the dice on The Quest and both my wife and I have really been enjoying it.

Everyone is different and what may appeal to one at one time, may not for someone else.

For a lot of people money is tight these days, and with limited revenue we have to hope our choices give us pleasure for the $$ spent, so I feel bad it's not working out for you.
    Been there done that, and it sucks.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 10-16-2021 at 10:15 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It definitely sounds very Yessy.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

And this one now has its own video, with lots of Yes/Roger Dean flashbacks: