Thread: New YES album "The Quest" out 1 Oct

Well, there we go. Case closed.

A band with a 53-year history scraping a 45-year-old barrel for a "New" album?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Some folks are pretty quick to jump on anything that might make the current Yes lineup look bad.

From Frumious B on YesFans:
    Turns out there were actually a very solid reasons for me to: 1. not think it sounds much like Yes. (Some other guy from outside the band wrote most of it.) 2. Not think it works very well as a song and that the vocals fit badly. (The original is instrumental.)

So yeah…I’m definitely laughing hard and even feeling somewhat vindicated too. I won’t go so far as to declare it a dumpster fire yet, but I smell a hint of smoke for sure.
    You certainly seem pleased at the thought of others failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    You may be surprised how often musicians go back to older material they’d written and never used, and find ways to rework it. Not really anything noteworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Van Halen's "A Different Kind of Truth," anyone? An album which Van Halen fans seem to mostly enjoy?

It doesn't matter how old the material is. Downes thought it was worth revisiting so he did.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    You may be surprised how often musicians go back to older material they’d written and never used, and find ways to rework it. Not really anything noteworthy.
    Yep. I recall "Billion" being one of the first pieces Tim ever wrote

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Some folks are pretty quick to jump on anything that might make the current Yes lineup look bad.

From Frumious B on YesFans:

You certainly seem pleased at the thought of others failing.
    I thought it was a poor track when I heard it and still think it’s poor. I don’t begrudge people liking it or the current Yes in any way, shape or fashion. What does tick me off are some of the more gushing fans who will fall on their swords for this band, engage in revisionist history to prop them up and then insinuate that I’m some kind of malevolent, chaotic force of evil or some crap like that. If that were my MO then my best strategy would be to pretend to like the record only to twist the knife later because everyone all ready assumes I’m not going to like it. When I get into it with them I tend to shoot from the hip.

So no. I’m not pleased at the thought of others failing.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It was Monkman's fault, no doubt.
    Monkman ruined Yes...when no one thought it could be done again....again again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I'm onboard, and it will sit nicely between both Fly From Here copies
    Why would you put it there?

------------------------------------------

I've been vaccinated five times!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Geoff said: "the original idea for The Ice Bridge track appears on a 1977 showreel of mine at a time when I was composing jingles and library music for a West End music production company"

Ahh...fresh Yes!!
    ------------------------------------------

I've been vaccinated five times!

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I thought it was a poor track when I heard it and still think it’s poor. I don’t begrudge people liking it or the current Yes in any way, shape or fashion. What does tick me off are some of the more gushing fans who will fall on their swords for this band, engage in revisionist history to prop them up and then insinuate that I’m some kind of malevolent, chaotic force of evil or some crap like that. If that were my MO then my best strategy would be to pretend to like the record only to twist the knife later because everyone all ready assumes I’m not going to like it. When I get into it with them I tend to shoot from the hip.

So no. I’m not pleased at the thought of others failing.
    Not pleased, eh? The laughter and feeling of vindication could’ve fooled me.

I’m not crazy about The Ice Bridge, but it’s far from the worst song Yes has ever done (in any iteration of the band). I don’t hate it, and it hasn’t put me off buying the album.

And for what it’s worth, I believe Downes is telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Geoff said: "the original idea for The Ice Bridge track appears on a 1977 showreel of mine at a time when I was composing jingles and library music for a West End music production company"

Ahh...fresh Yes!!

My feeling about FFH was something similar, but I ended up really liking that one. Sometimes music is great regardless of when it was written.

engage in revisionist history to prop them up
    "revisionist history" = "history I don't like"

I believe Geoff Downes, a musician who's made tons of records and has no reason to steal some random music cue from years past, over some Internet troll who throws a tantrum online if someone calls him on his bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I believe Geoff Downes, a musician who's made tons of records and has no reason to steal some random music cue from years past
    koffkoffmachinemessiahkoffkoff

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    koffkoffmachinemessiahkoffkoff
    I had no idea what you were talking about, so I googled "Machine Messiah plagiarism" and all I found was some looney tunes theory that Yes had stolen from "Welcome to the Machine." So please explain.

I had no idea what you were talking about, so I googled "Machine Messiah plagiarism" and all I found was some looney tunes theory that Yes had stolen from "Welcome to the Machine." So please explain.
    I thought it was well known that the organ riff in "Machine Messiah" was nicked from the famous Widor Toccata. Of course, Widor's piece was in the public domain by 1980.

Ember
    "A person inexperienced with originality may have difficulty distinguishing that which is original from that which is not."

I think I said this about 40 years ago.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I thought it was well known that the organ riff in "Machine Messiah" was nicked from the famous Widor Toccata. Of course, Widor's piece was in the public domain by 1980.

Isn’t interpolating and quoting bits from classical music kind of a “prog” tradition?

"revisionist history" = "history I don't like"

I believe Geoff Downes, a musician who's made tons of records and has no reason to steal some random music cue from years past, over some Internet troll who throws a tantrum online if someone calls him on his bullshit.
    Lighten up. Seems like you’re the one throwing the tantrum.

Lighten up. Seems like you’re the one throwing the tantrum.
    No. Not even close.

Not pleased, eh? The laughter and feeling of vindication could’ve fooled me.

I’m not crazy about The Ice Bridge, but it’s far from the worst song Yes has ever done (in any iteration of the band). I don’t hate it, and it hasn’t put me off buying the album.

And for what it’s worth, I believe Downes is telling the truth.
    I would describe it as not entirely unlike, though certainly not identical, to a situation where maybe you don’t like your favorite baseball team’s management and want half the roster traded, but that doesn’t mean you want them to lose. But then some folks call you disloyal and every other name in the book so when something happens on the field that you think confirms your oft criticized opinions then it’s a cathartic moment to be able to throw it back in their faces and say “see!” But really you’d vastly prefer that the team just kick some ass and win the World Series.

But music has always been my version of sports so I’m certain I bring a little bit of that mentality along with a sense of rivalry and competitiveness to talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yep. I recall "Billion" being one of the first pieces Tim ever wrote
    That’s a good example. Sometimes it’s a case of an artist finding a home for something they wrote years (even decades) before but didn’t have a place for it at the time. It’s not necessarily scraping the barrel, but rather finding a way to use a musical idea they like. I know some people won’t see it that way still…

Edit: If I’m not mistaken, the song “All the Animals” off of Life Stories by Kimara Sajn (in 2010 I think), the piano part that’s used was a recording he’d made back in the 80s like 20 years earlier or more. It’s brilliant by the way.
    Last edited by aith01; 07-24-2021 at 09:10 PM.

I don't know.. People will be saying they sound like the Buggles next.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Why would you put it there?

Other than the classic Yes lineup, Fly From Here Return Trip is the only new Yes I have on vinyl.
    So, using the tried and true, sequence of release date, The Quest will be filed after Fly From Here.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Surely "The Ice Bridge" is a step in the right direction.No obvious verse-chorus repeating all the time.
    Synth solos always welcome.Everyone is doing a descent job!
    Looking forward to the album even if I realise there will be a couple of boring AOR-style songs on it.
    As for the Monkman debate;come on -every tune ever written has probably a certain resemblance to other songs partly! No big deal!