Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New YES album "The Quest" out 1 Oct

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    B...B-but will YOU be releasing that GTR progressive reunion album, Steve?

Since it's all steves and, and, y'know.
    GTRF

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Inside Out is definitely where YES belongs.

But what's with a 14 minute bonus disc? 14 minutes?

I am mildly enthused about this.
    Good point! Why not just put those on the Blu-Ray?

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    That's weird. The whole thing would fit on one CD. Orchestrations? Oh, no.
    How bout some narration between tracks?

I'm looking forward to looking forward to this.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    OK. Let’s pretend there is a second tier Yes influenced neo-prog band called Crystal Empire whose debut album was Heaven & Earth, generally regarded as a mediocre to poor album with middling modern day Roger Dean cover art. Seven years later Crystal Empire returns with 4/5 of the same band, including the same lead vocalist/songwriter, for their sophomore effort. You can’t hear the music, but you note that the main album has about the same number of tracks as Heaven & Earth with similar song lengths and another Roger Dean cover. So do you hit “preorder” for Crystal Empire?

Also, they literally reused, verbatim, the exact same Steve Howe quote for the press release that they used for the Royal Affair live album: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-...l-affair-tour/

Guitarist Steve Howe added, “Having the opportunity to bring together the band members in the development of a well-refined set of songs that captures the band’s true potential is simply an honor for me."
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Also, they literally reused, verbatim, the exact same Steve Howe quote for the press release that they used for the Royal Affair live album: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-...l-affair-tour/

Guitarist Steve Howe added, “Having the opportunity to bring together the band members in the development of a well-refined set of songs that captures the band’s true potential is simply an honor for me."
    BUSTED!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Color me... hoping to have my low expectations exceeded. The shorter song lengths leads me to believe this will lean more toward the singer-songwriter style the band has favored of late. My other worry is the whole thing was a result of "Everybody is asking when we'll have another studio album so we better do one. But make sure it's not too expensive." and not "Hey, we've got this kick ass material -- let's record it!"

Steve is an OK producer, but unless there's some real sizzle in the compositions I can't see how he could do a better job than someone with more of a production pedigree. And I worry this collection of musicians REALLY needs an ace producer to raise their game these days (they couldn't strike a deal with Trevor Horn?) At least Billy didn't produce it, although I wonder how much Billy had to bite his tongue listening to some of the mixes.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    BUSTED!

“It’s a musical journey.”
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

My Mother taught me a a vital life lesson. Don't judge a book by its cover. And a beautiful Dean one it is. However, sadly I'm not at all thrilled. YES, IMO has been in decline for many years now. Then the death of Chris Squire only contributed to the decline. After so many years in their 70's heyday seeing them in concert and getting blown off my chair, I'll pass. Another huge factor is the absence of Jon Anderson. He was the vision of YES, and I cannot see the band without him. It's like King Crimson without Robert Fripp. And I'll pass on Genesis too. It would just make me very sad seeing Phil Collins singing from a chair. As much as I honor all of the prog pioneers, these days I tend to concentrate on newer prog bands while still embracing the classics of old.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Less than 24 hours since the news dropped and only 3 pages so far? C'mon guys, we're slipping!

Yeah!

Ok, mildly happy to hear the news. Don’t want to get to excited. A 2 cd release that can fit on one cd? .

I heard there's an ice bridge in the cover art. I don't see one...

Yes Quest.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I heard there's an ice bridge in the cover art. I don't see one...

Yes Quest.jpg
    Anyone else scratching their head that they title an album "The Quest", with a Roger Dean cover, and it's not a concept album?

Or is it?...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Makes me think of THE Ladder, more than anything else.

I was a little disappointed when I saw it was called The Quest, but quickly realized it could be worse.

Clipboard01.jpg

I expect a fresh, rocking, well-refined set of songs that captures the band’s true potential.

Isn't there a special edition with the drum fills on a bonus CD ?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    My other worry is the whole thing was a result of "Everybody is asking when we'll have another studio album so we better do one. But make sure it's not too expensive." and not "Hey, we've got this kick ass material -- let's record it!"
    That seems an unfounded worry. It's been 7 years of people asking when they'll have another studio album and Howe firmly said no because he didn't feel they were ready. He could readily have gone on saying no. The band make money from touring the old songs, they don't need a new studio album. Their peers, e.g. King Crimson or Genesis, don't bother with such things. Howe has talked about a burst of creativity he had in late 2019 that seems to have motivated the album... which was then followed by the pandemic forcing a large gap to appear in their touring schedule in early 2020.

Henry
    Last edited by bondegezou; 07-08-2021 at 04:58 AM.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    My Mother taught me a a vital life lesson. Don't judge a book by its cover. And a beautiful Dean one it is. However, sadly I'm not at all thrilled. YES, IMO has been in decline for many years now. Then the death of Chris Squire only contributed to the decline. After so many years in their 70's heyday seeing them in concert and getting blown off my chair, I'll pass.
    What does "I'll pass" mean in a world of streaming audio? If you have interest enough to open a thread about a new Yes album, then surely you have the time to press play on YouTube or Spotify in a few months when the album is out. At which point, you don't have to guess based on prior experience!

Henry

I would have been slightly more optimistic if it had say, two tracks...

With old bands like Yes, with a long history and not many original members (if any), I have a special kind of curiosity which could be summed up by questions like "Has this line-up managed to convincingly capture some of the Yes elements ?", "How will this album fit in their long, convoluted history ?" It may be intellectual or cultural curiosity, rather than a genuine musical interest.
    That being said, the simple fact that Howe & Co took the time to write and record a new album is in itself intriguing, because indeed they don't need it. And the artwork, although predictable, is enjoyable. I have low expectations, but I'll be interested in hearing the album.

What, only three pages in 23 hours?! C'mon Yes, you can do better than that.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It's strange to me that the second disc has so few songs on it. Why not fill up the rest with an epic?
    There was a rumor of sorts after H&E release that Downes and Davison were working on a lengthy "epic"... guess it didn't make the cut for this release..

Ember
    I read somewhere that Jay Schellen is credited with “additional percussion” on this, but now I can’t find the link. One wonders (in the context of an album where anyone can play multiple parts on multiple instruments) just how necessary it was to bring him in. If Alan is having trouble playing at all now, that would be sad.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...quest-1193560/
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

I'm hoping it's an all instrumental album.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    There was a rumor of sorts after H&E release that Downes and Davison were working on a lengthy "epic"... guess it didn't make the cut for this release..
    Downes talked about it on several occasions, but, no, it appears it's not been used.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I read somewhere that Jay Schellen is credited with “additional percussion” on this, but now I can’t find the link. One wonders (in the context of an album where anyone can play multiple parts on multiple instruments) just how necessary it was to bring him in. If Alan is having trouble playing at all now, that would be sad.
    Davison has also contributed some percussion according to Sony Music in Japan. As Sherwood has described it, it doesn't sound like White had any trouble recording. However, this was an album recorded under lockdown conditions, so there may have been practical reasons at times for different people to record different things. Or maybe they just did it as a way to recognise Schellen's live contributions.

I note also that additional percussion being played by someone else on a Yes album is nothing new: it happened on Yes, Time and a Word, The Yes Album, Tales from Topographic Oceans, Relayer, Union, The Ladder and Fly from Here.

Henry