Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: New YES album "The Quest" out 1 Oct

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I guess it must be embarrassing for Downes and frustrating for the rest of the band, but it may be soon forgotten.
    I am sure it will never be forgotten! Hopefully it will be forgiven.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I'd hate to be Geoff Downes the next time he sees his bandmates. Oof.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I am sure it will never be forgotten!
    A Yuppet never forgets!

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    A Yuppet never forgets!
    http://www.yuppets.com/the-yuppets.html

Not saying it was nick'd....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Well, I certainly got it wrong in my scenario! And I know where I went wrong, too... I assumed the "demo reel" was something Downes himself had made has opposed to something that was given to him from the publishing company with his (and others') material on it. It's understandable that digging it out forty years later, he might have thought the material was all his if he remembered most of it, but I'm also imagining him thinking, "Huh, THAT one's different. Hey, I was pretty good!"

I'm glad Monkman has a good attitude about it and I hope Yes immediately moves to give him credit. I'll add my kudos to Dan Roth for his well-worded email. And I kind of hope it causes the Yes fans who'd never heard of him till this point to dig his stuff out. I'm still digging "Over and Above"!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I'm at the end of page 24 and already tired.....

And I see there's three more pages after this!

What in the world could fill those up?

Ah, nice to see someone got ahold of the Monkman. Very interesting....

I'd like to hear more about the actual recording. Billy posted on one of my threads on FB today so I took a minute to ask him about the bass he used on "The Ice Bridge".

He said it's his brown Spector with the fish inlays....

Clipboard01.jpg

Dan Roth is like Luke Skywalker and this is Return of the Yuppets
    Last edited by julioscissors; 07-26-2021 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Just wait, brother. This is a Yes thread. Imagination will not suffice.

I was starting to think we lost our touch.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Well, I certainly got it wrong in my scenario! And I know where I went wrong, too... I assumed the "demo reel" was something Downes himself had made has opposed to something that was given to him from the publishing company with his (and others') material on it. It's understandable that digging it out forty years later, he might have thought the material was all his if he remembered most of it, but I'm also imagining him thinking, "Huh, THAT one's different. Hey, I was pretty good!"
    That's more or less the scenario I had in mind after reading the various elements we have. It's also the most plausible. It's hard to think Geoff would have plagiarised a piece of music he knew wasn't his, whether he wouldn't have known who had written it (an obscure jingles composer in 1977 might have 40 years on become a major film score composer) or he knew it to be by Monkman. He would have known who Monkman is, and since Curved Air and Yes appear to share the same management, knew the potential embarrassment should Monkman find out about it. A honest mistake seems the only explanation for this. And with the right humorous twist about old prog musos' declining memory, I hope this can be settled in a not too unpleasant way.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    A Yuppet never forgets!

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    http://www.yuppets.com/the-yuppets.html

Not saying it was nick'd....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

This^

Hey I'm probably the oldest guy here since the recent sadly departed Geezer. I started getting into all of this music around 1964 or 65. I've seen and heard everything since then, Yes to me is never going to be Yes to the rest of you, neither is Gentile Giant, Genesis, Traffic, Renaissance or so many more. Everybody needs to find what they need to find in whatever band they are listening to. I don't really know why I'm spelling this out other than to say that everyone needs to find what satisfies their personal needs, and puts their minds at peace. If this current Yes is it for you, good.
    I believe Chris was wrong in assuming that Yes would go on forever with different players, for me I realize now this is never going to be the case, but to each their own. I'm not a great thinker, I struggle mightily with typing, but I know what I like, and I accept that time goes on and things change. They say that you can't go home again (whoever "They"are) and the older I get I realize that this is true. This doesn't mean that as Steve Howe said in one of his earliest albums that "Nothing Is Any Good Anymore" but that things change and you just have to find what makes you happy in the moment. "Anyway", sorry for the rant and to each their own. I will be open minded for the new Yes music, and the latest Genesis tour etc. and try to pick the parts that make "IT" happen for me.

Wow,that was so boring............. sorry,

I'm gonna need more popcorn

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Wow,that was so boring............. sorry,
    It was fine. Rick is the one who spoke about Yes continuing for years to come (I think).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It was fine. Rick is the one who spoke about Yes continuing for years to come (I think).
    If my memory serves (and there's no guarantee there), I think they both brought up the concept over the years.

I did notice, when listening to the library reel stuff of Geoff's that someone posted, that his music sounded much different than the Monkman piece in style and recording technique.
    I'm glad it seems to be resolved and I really like the song and look forward to hearing the new Yes album.
    It's a good feeling to have the mystery resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    It's a good feeling to have the mystery resolved.
    I would have preferred Oak Island, but it'll do.

Well, I just read all 22 pages and need a lie-down now...

Steve: what can we do to generate a 100-page Yes thread over at ProgressiveEars?
    Geoff: I've got just the thing...

Oh yeah, Ice Bridge. Exceeded my expectations, which are pretty low at this point in the history of Yes. Hope the rest of the tunes are at least this good.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I also think it's great Geoff reached out to Monkman about it to get it resolved. Much respect to that.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    as far as i know, it's the added phosphorescent powder on the vinyl they use to make it glow that causes the issue!
    I've always found that glow-in-the-dark vinyl has a warmer sound than conventional vinyl.

Now, if I were Yes I would begin writing a 12 minute epic about writing a tune that I thought was mine only to realize 45 years later...

.. or maybe Marillion could do a full concept album on the topic?
    Last edited by timmy; 07-26-2021 at 11:23 PM.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Now, if I were Yes I would begin writing a 12 minute epic about writing a tune that I thought was mine only to realize 45 years later...
    I think it would be better fodder for a Roger Dean cover...