Thread: Tony Banks interview with (ARP synths) Alan R. Pearlman Foundation

Tony Banks interview with (ARP synths) Alan R. Pearlman Foundation

I haven't watched it yet. But it's an hour long!

"A Conversation between Tony Banks of Genesis with Dina Pearlman (d'ARP) of The Alan R. Pearlman Foundation discussing the use of ARP Synthesizers in Tony's work with Genesis. Join us for a watch party at 4:30 EST, where Tony Banks discusses synthesizers, key changes, and his fondness for playing in 7/4 time... not to be missed!"

"Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

That was great - thanks for posting!

Thank you so much for posting that! I could listen to Tony Banks talk about music all day every day.

For me, he is the best of the classic keyboardists. Always a tasteful player and an amazing songwriter.

Plus... as a guitar player, I always dug that he could pick a mean 12-string as well
    Last edited by julioscissors; 07-06-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Great interview.. thanks for posting.. interesting for those who wonder when Tony took the reigns of the band shortly after Anthony Phillips left the band..

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    For me, he is the best of the classic keyboardists. Always a tasteful player and an amazing songwriter.
    He's not the most technical - that would be Keith, or maybe Rick, or a wild card like Gianni Leone, or one of the jazz guys like Chick.

But he's the best at conceiving of the right notes and playing them. And for most of his parts, you couldn't imagine anything else being there. It's the same skill The Beatles - and most of the great rock bands - have had. And while the Wrecking Crew and Motown's Funk Bros. could outplay them six ways to Sunday, there was both a rightness and an individuality to what the bands came up with that was different, and at least as good.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 07-08-2021 at 05:44 AM.

It's his chordal choices and rich voicings that sets Tony apart from his peers. Very much influenced by romantic era classical.

Loved this interview, thank you very much.
    At times because of the angle Tony had the camera, I could imagine what Tony's keyboard felt like while he was playing them. lol

Interesting information from Tony, in fact Dave Kerzner just posted on FB, photos of Tony's keyboards which he recently purchased, including the ARP Quadra synth.

Dina Pearlman, what a great representative of the ARP legacy. Well spoken, articulate, and very knowledgeable about music and synthesizers.

Btw. if you're a musician and love the ARP sound, I have the ARP Odyssey(Korg Reissue) and highly recommend it.
    Alan Pearlman was involved as an advisor during the recreation.
    Behringer also has Odyssey and 2600 versions, which are also very good.
    But to me, in a A to B comparison, to my ears, the Korg version wins.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 07-08-2021 at 08:18 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    It's his chordal choices and rich voicings that sets Tony apart from his peers. Very much influenced by romantic era classical.
    This. And I prefer this every day of the week. I love his tone and sound so much. You know straight away that itīs Tony Banks. Thanks alot for sharing this!

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    This. And I prefer this every day of the week. I love his tone and sound so much. You know straight away that itīs Tony Banks. Thanks alot for sharing this!
    Thanks! Not sure if you caught this recent episode of my show, but we go waaaay deep into all that. If you are interested...

Wow. Thank you from the very bottom of my heart, Sean. This was really something!

Thanks. I wonder what video platform she's using? Zoom?

I didn't make it through the whole thing but it was a good interview.

Thanks! Not sure if you caught this recent episode of my show, but we go waaaay deep into all that. If you are interested...

A bit late in the day, but I only finished it now. Thank you for this. This is the kind of analysis I like to hear/read, the kind that actually tries to understand the music itself. So more musical dissection, please, unless there is some campaign against cruelty to music that frowns upon it?

He also wrote a lot of great lines where thumb or left hand was a counterpoint to the lead line being played. Thinking of the symphony solo in the cage, the two hand piano opening to the lamb, the piano section in fifth of firth that follows the flute interlude

It’s hard to maintain melody in a complex part

(Said the appreciative novice)

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Loved this interview, thank you very much.
    At times because of the angle Tony had the camera, I could imagine what Tony's keyboard felt like while he was playing them. lol

Interesting information from Tony, in fact Dave Kerzner just posted on FB, photos of Tony's keyboards which he recently purchased, including the ARP Quadra synth.

Dina Pearlman, what a great representative of the ARP legacy. Well spoken, articulate, and very knowledgeable about music and synthesizers.

Btw. if you're a musician and love the ARP sound, I have the ARP Odyssey(Korg Reissue) and highly recommend it.
    Alan Pearlman was involved as an advisor during the recreation.
    Behringer also has Odyssey and 2600 versions, which are also very good.
    But to me, in a A to B comparison, to my ears, the Korg version wins.
    I just bought the Korg full size ARP 2600 reissue. The limited release Japanese production. Can’t wait until Friday.

They’ve got one left https://rocknrollvintage.com/product...38da314a&_ss=r

Quote Originally Posted by Prog Lives View Post
    I just bought the Korg full size ARP 2600 reissue. The limited release Japanese production. Can’t wait until Friday.

They’ve got one left https://rocknrollvintage.com/product...38da314a&_ss=r
    Wow congratulations..that is awesome.
    It's a shame they were nearly sold out at the release price when it was announced.
    I'm a bit upset with Korg, because of the way they handled the limited edition release.
    Although most of the shenanigans were done by retailers who let famous people and insiders get the first ones, and told when to order in order to acquire one.

I remember watching an episode of Sonic Lab with Nick and his guests, and Nick had mentioned Korg was about to make an announcement regarding the rumor about a Arp 2600 reissue. ONe of his guests let it slip, "yeah I know, I ordered one!".. then every one kind of backtracked after that, and quickly changed the discussion.
    I think Korg handled the distribution and equity poorly, but I still love Korg synths regardless.

Have fun with that beast!

All good tho, because it was out of my price range anyway. Being retired now puts a crimp on my gear acquisition syndrome.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Wow congratulations..that is awesome.
    It's a shame they were nearly sold out at the release price when it was announced.
    I'm a bit upset with Korg, because of the way they handled the limited edition release.
    Although most of the shenanigans were done by retailers who let famous people and insiders get the first ones, and told when to order in order to acquire one.

I remember watching an episode of Sonic Lab with Nick and his guests, and Nick had mentioned Korg was about to make an announcement regarding the rumor about a Arp 2600 reissue. ONe of his guests let it slip, "yeah I know, I ordered one!".. then every one kind of backtracked after that, and quickly changed the discussion.
    I think Korg handled the distribution and equity poorly, but I still love Korg synths regardless.

Have fun with that beast!

All good tho, because it was out of my price range anyway. Being retired now puts a crimp on my gear acquisition syndrome.
    Wow, didnít know all that favoritism was going on. Thank for the backstory. Itís going to sit on top of Keith Emersonís Korg BX3 I bought at the estate auction. Thanks for the sidebar discussion. Iím off to listen to Tonyís vid now

What a down to earth guy, sorry to hear about his hearing. Composition and taste over flash. I need to explore more of his solo work I think.