Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition to re-instate Jon Anderson!

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    A more realistic petition would to be to get Yes into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.
    http://www.petitiononline.com/Yes/petition.html

Insistence is futile. Simply put,this is the dumbest idea I have ever heard of. If the mods have any sense of practicality they will close this thread a.s.a.p. for irrelevance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Insistence is futile. Simply put,this is the dumbest idea I have ever heard of. If the mods have any sense of practicality they will close this thread a.s.a.p. for irrelevance.
    Actually, I find this thread kind of funny. I wonder if the person that started it really did start an online petition. I think that this thread should stay up for a while.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This is the relevant point of Frumious' post.
    I flat out guarantee that the only concrete result of signing an online petition, no matter how worthy the cause may be, is you getting more spam in your inbox.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I think Jon Anderson and Yes burying the hatchet would be a totally fantastic idea, especially in light of this tragic business with Peter Banks. It really underscores how fleeting life can be and how rapidly shrinking the window of opportunity for these guys to set things right really is. However, I think an online petition and the belief that such a thing might make some sort of difference is really 1998. There are a huge number of online petitions for all kinds of things. Show me just one, just one, example of an online petition leading directly to the stated goal being accomplished.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I agree. Maybe we should return to writing letters, eh. That'll teach 'em.
    SymfoZone progressive rock radio show: www.symfozone.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SymfoZone View Post
    I agree. Maybe we should return to writing letters, eh. That'll teach 'em.
    Can we maybe deliver those letters on horseback?

Where's the petition to get the song-tempos back to where they belong?.....THAT I would sign.

They're making progress, 13 signatures on 3/15/13 at 7:50 AM EST, seriously I saw Yes in 2010 with Benoit and Wakeman's kid and it was a really enjoyable show, the crowd was really into the band, IMHO Yes legacy goes beyond of who's in the band at any given time...
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I think Jon Anderson and Yes burying the hatchet would be a totally fantastic idea, especially in light of this tragic business with Peter Banks. It really underscores how fleeting life can be and how rapidly shrinking the window of opportunity for these guys to set things right really is. However, I think an online petition and the belief that such a thing might make some sort of difference is really 1998. There are a huge number of online petitions for all kinds of things. Show me just one, just one, example of an online petition leading directly to the stated goal being accomplished.
    Chris Squire recently stated in one of his many interviews when asked this very question: "Would you ever perform with Jon Anderson again?" Chris: " Sure. I have never closed the door on playing with Jon again. I think we would have to adjust the schedule a bit because he has said that our tours are just too long for him."

What good would a bunch of people do signing a petition to pressure Yes,Jon,management, OMG! who in their right mind would even dream of doing this? If anything,it will make it less likely to happen because human nature dictates that nobody wants to succumb to outside pressure. This would be like signing a petition to get Gentle Giant to reunite or suggest to Deep Purple they fire Steve Morse and re-hire Ritchie Blackmore..... Ludicrous.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Where's the petition to get the song-tempos back to where they belong?.....THAT I would sign.
    Recent comments have lead me to believe that tempos aren't an issue anymore. So, can we put that issue to bed?

I'm out.

Chris Squire recently stated in one of his many interviews when asked this very question: "Would you ever perform with Jon Anderson again?" Chris: " Sure. I have never closed the door on playing with Jon again. I think we would have to adjust the schedule a bit because he has said that our tours are just too long for him."

What good would a bunch of people do signing a petition to pressure Yes,Jon,management, OMG! who in their right mind would even dream of doing this? If anything,it will make it less likely to happen because human nature dictates that nobody wants to succumb to outside pressure. This would be like signing a petition to get Gentle Giant to reunite or suggest to Deep Purple they fire Steve Morse and re-hire Ritchie Blackmore..... Ludicrous.
    IMHO the "real" petition can be seen in the fact that the band is getting booked into progressively smaller and less prestigious venues.

Recent comments have lead me to believe that tempos aren't an issue anymore. So, can we put that issue to bed?
    The March 6 show began with a pretty slow CttE. I didn't get much further into the set.

I flat out guarantee that the only concrete result of signing an online petition, no matter how worthy the cause may be, is you getting more spam in your inbox.
    Indeed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

IMHO the "real" petition can be seen in the fact that the band is getting booked into progressively smaller and less prestigious venues.
    Nonsense. With very few exceptions (Rush), very few progressive rock acts cannot keep touring year after year and maintain/increase their audiences.

This is just silly!

I haven't seen them this year to comment, but the only tempo issue at the show I caught last year was "Tempus Fugit," which kept sounding like it was about to fall apart, tempi all over the place. It seemed like Downes was the one who kept barely saving it, from what I could tell. Might be time to put "Tempus" to bed, IMHO. I understand why they do it, it's a fun uptempo song and the crowd can cheer during the vocoderized "Yes, Yes's" but given the tempo issues with that one lately...

Other than that, no tempo problems.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Nonsense. With very few exceptions (Rush), very few progressive rock acts cannot keep touring year after year and maintain/increase their audiences.
    Yes isn't just a progressive rock band. They are a classic rock band as well, one that performed in arenas less than a decade ago. They just played a room in Aspen with a capacity of 450 and seem to be topping out in the 2000-2500 range. Last summer they were booked into a venue near Atlanta with a capacity of 12,000. I'd say there were no more than 3,000 at the show. Sure enough, every place they are playing on the current tour has a capacity of less than 3,000.

Name another band of their vintage - beyond Rush - who is playing to more people.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The tempos on many of the songs from the current tour are still slower than on the original recordings. Across the board the tempos have not been as slow as they have been in recent years, but still slower than the original recordings.

A few examples:

Yours Is No Disgrace 9:37 (10:48)
    Close To The Edge 16:47 (18:15) [Took the birds intro and the ending from both versions]
    Going For The One 5:20 (5:38)
    Parallels 5:48 (6:06)
    Awaken (16:38)

FWIW, the first number is the original playing time while the number in parenthesis is the playing time taken from the recent Los Angeles show. I used the songs that did not have any embellishments from the original version so the comparison was as fair as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    It NOT his only condition. And it's been discussed to death. Anderson, as far as I know, and that's also true of Wakeman, is still unwilling to commit to the kind of touring schedule that the other members have undertaken since his departure. Both Anderson and Wakeman have repeatedly said that they would only return for one-off "special" concerts, or a series thereof. The current Yes, on the other hand, want to keep doing long tours. I'm sure this was the basis on which they turned down Anderson's offer(s) to return to the fold.
    Agreed, mostly. Anderson and Wakeman have both varied somewhat in what they've said about how much touring they want to do. While their preference would appear to be for one-offs, some quotes (more from Anderson of late) suggest they'd be OK with some degree of touring, although probably not as much as Yes want to do.

That said, I doubt that's the only reason why Yes would rather continue without Anderson. I suspect Howe and Squire, for very understandable reasons, simply don't want to work with Anderson. Which, of course, is why a petition is a mockery. You can't make people get along with each other by waving a petition under their noses.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Awwww, that's cute that you think he 'quit' in 1992.
    Doesn't seem entirely inaccurate. Victory did want to sign YesWest, but they were happy to have Wakeman along. Indeed, at one point Victory were billing Yes as being six men (YesWest + Wakeman). Wakeman was to guest on Talk, but plans for his involvement didn't come together. That suggest to me that, if Wakeman had really wanted it, he would have been on that album.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    Not to mention that he [Jon Anderson] is more creative than [...] Trevor Horn and a far better songwriter.
    Well, that's a dubious assertion. I'd take Horn's songwriting in Producers over most of Anderson's recent work, and I'd take Horn's lyric writing on Fly from Here over most of it too.

Henry

Venue size and audience numbers seems pretty consistent to me since 2008, with summer tours generally playing to more people than off-season tours.

Henry