Thread: Geddy Lee’s Mother Passed

Banned

Geddy Lee’s Mother Passed

Geddy Lee's mother Mary Weinrib passed awaythis past Friday, July 2nd just a few weeks shy of her 96th birthday. Her funeral was held yesterday at Bathurst Lawn Memorial Park in Toronto. Rush fans got to know Mary through her appearance in the 2010 documentary Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage, and - most recently - her appearance on Dave and Virginia Grohl's From Cradle to Stage docu-series just last month, where she described her incredible Holocaust survival story.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2021/07/05/5630/Geddy-Lees-mother-and-Holocaust-survivor-Mary-Weinrib-has-passed-away-at-the-age-of-95?fbclid=IwAR25iayJFu2U2kFXIjGs28H_5BcPOLLxSIv5PD nE2kXEyXqcC2mImnaI4rc

RIP

RIP Mrs Weinrib.

She seemed like an absolutely lovely person and lived through the most unimaginable horror that any person can experience. I'm so glad that she lived a nice long life and was able to overcome the mental trauma. Her offspring was one badass dude and a beautiful person as well.

^Ditto. RIP.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sad, sad! I'll have to look for that Dave Grohl show mentioned; Geddy's interview with Dan Rather (?) is so good, especially when he talks about his mother.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    She seemed like an absolutely lovely person and lived through the most unimaginable horror that any person can experience. I'm so glad that she lived a nice long life and was able to overcome the mental trauma.
    Well said. It's an impressive feat to live to almost 96 years, and I'm glad she had a long life after going through such a horrible period of history. She must have been a strong person.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Her offspring was one badass dude and a beautiful person as well.
    Agreed.

RIP. I remember her talking about going through the gates of Auschwitz on the anniversary of its liberation and she said it felt like she was now the victor.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

RIP. Isn't it because of her pronunciation of "Gary" that Geddy got his name?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    RIP. Isn't it because of her pronunciation of "Gary" that Geddy got his name?
    Pretty sure that was Ged's grandmother rather than his mom.

It's been a really bad stretch for the Rush family over the least few years. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    I just looked it up and it turns out it was his mom and not his grandmother. From wikipedia: "Lee's name, Geddy, was derived from his mother's heavy Polish accented pronunciation of his given first name, Gary."
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    You thought I made that up