Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SKE - Insolubilia

SKE - Insolubilia

Hey everyone
    I'm not posting much (or at all) in the last years, but I sure come back lurking often, mainly to follow new albums discussions.
    In the recent years I've been asked a lot about a follow up of the SKE group. Being very busy with job and small children, I always gave priority to my other gigging band Not a Good Sign, so SKE kind of faded away in the dark. Right after finishing the 3rd NaGS, I started to collect material I've been toying with for some time, and decided it was a good starting point for something different. One day I realized I was simply writing the 2nd SKE album., 10 years later .
    The writing is somewhat similar to "1000 Autunni", even if...better, at least to me LOL. To sum it up, it could be described as Symph-prog meets Avant-prog...I guess? The inspiration comes from cast metal puzzles, which is yet another thing I collect and am very much into.
    I worked on this a lot, with a lot of different musicians, to fulfill what is my most ambitious project so far. Here's the musicians list btw:

Fabio Pignatelli (Goblin) - Bass (9)
    Luca Calabrese (Isildurs Bane) - Pocket Trumpet (1,5,9,10)
    Lars Fredrik Frøislie (Wobbler) - Harpsichord (6,8)
    Keith Macksoud (Present) - Bass (11)
    Tommaso Leddi (Stormy Six) - Mandolin (1,11)
    Nicolas Nikolopoulos (Ciccada) - Flute (1,4,6,9)
    Evangelia Kozoni (Ciccada) - Voice (4)
    Vitaly Appow (Rational Diet, Five Storey Ensamble) - Bassoon (2,7,10)
    Simen Ådnøy Ellingsen (Shamblemaths) - Saxophones (7)
    Alessandro Cassani (Not a Good Sign) - Bass (1,5,7)
    Martino Malacrida (Not a Good Sign) - Drums (1,2,4,6,7,9,11)
    Francesco Zago (Yugen) - Guitars (1,2,4,6,7,9,11)
    Maurizio Fasoli (Yugen) - Grand Piano (2,4,5,11)
    Valerio Cipollone (Yugen) - Clarinets (2,4,6,8,9,11)
    Elia Leon Mariani (Yugen) - Violin (2,4,9,10,11)
    Jacopo Costa (Loomings, Yugen) - Vibraphone/Marimba/Xylophone/Glockenspiel/Cymbalum (1,2,4,5,6,7,9,10,11)
    Maria Denami (Loomings) - Voice (1,6,11)
    Massimo Giuntoli (Hobo) - Harmonium (1,9)
    Pierre Wawrzyniak (Camembert, Oiapok) - Bass (2,4,6)
    Mélanie Gerber (Camembert, Oiapok) - Voice (10)
    Guillaume Gravelin (Camembert, Oiapok) - Harp (2,4,6,11)
    Pietro Bertoni (FEM) - Trombone/Euphonium (1,9,11)
    Thea Ellingsen Grant (Juno) - Voice (5,6,11)
    Tiziana Azzone (Il Giardino delle Muse) - Theorbo (4)

As you can imagine by the sheer list of musicians involved, the music is very dense and may require several listens to get acquainted with. Despite that, I really tried to give it all a "satisfying first listen" feeling as well. Looking forward to seeing if that works for listeners!
    Of course COVID did not help, but eventually we managed to finish it and it will be released on July 11th. It will come in CD (no CDR) with a beautiful miniLP packaging, or digital (just on Bandcamp. I decided not to spread this with streaming. I heavily dislike Spotify and this streaming madness. Sorry.)

It was once again produced by AltrOck's Marcello Marinone, even if technically this is an selfrelease, you can find it here:
    https://skeskeskeskeske.bandcamp.com/

If you are curious about the making of or want to give a sneak peek at more music, here's an interview video (subtitled )

Eager to know your thoughts.
    ciao
    SKe

It has been pre-ordered and is agonizingly being expected.

Soooooo looking forward to this one!!

Wayside Music will represent.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^ Storing it, I assume (and I'll buy it either way!) - but will you be releasing it, Steve?

Such good news. I'm still listening to 1000 Autunni and discovering details in there. A landmark in developments; so damn dense and dissonant, yet so melodically inviting and appealing nonetheless.

I need to listen to it again - tonight! Summer holidays starting here; no work for four weeks ahead!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Storing it, I assume (and I'll buy it either way!) - but will you be releasing it, Steve?
    Cuneiform is not releasing it. As I understand it, Ske and this album has lured Marcello (AltrOck) back into being at least somewhat involved in the world of CD releases. At least a little bit for this one.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Cuneiform is not releasing it. As I understand it, Ske and this album has lured Marcello (AltrOck) back into being at least somewhat involved in the world of CD releases. At least a little bit for this one.
    Yoo-hooo!

No small a treat in itself!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Proud to be part of it again. Together with a lot of musicians/friends involved in the project. Enjoy!

That lineup is exceptional.

Pre-ordered!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Can't wait!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

P.S. to Ske -
    I have heard the music already (of course) via Marcello but I had not seen your promotional video. I wanted to compliment you on a very good promotional video that tells what needs to be told in a reasonable amount of time.

salut.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    P.S. to Ske -
    I have heard the music already (of course) via Marcello but I had not seen your promotional video. I wanted to compliment you on a very good promotional video that tells what needs to be told in a reasonable amount of time.

salut.
    Ha! thanks for noticing It was fun to make. Actually I was planning to do something different, but COVID didn't allow me to shoot as many interviews as I wished, so I decided to sum it all up in one video.
    I admit it could be a tad shorter, but I really wanted to display my natural beautiness for as much as possible, for the ladies.

And yet more good music from the tallest man in RPI.

Wishlisted and will be purchased on the next Bandcamp Friday.

VERY IMPORTANT THOUGHTS:

Hugely excited for this release!

It's quite an incredible lineup of musicians contributing to the project - representatives from ten of my favourite bands...

I don't think I have many "rock" records featuring theorbo (maybe some Flairck...?). So I'm hoping for a blazing theorbo break on track 4.

Paolo looks a little like a young Igor Stravinsky, but with less hair.

I may need a better pair of spectacles.

Those people (like me) who didn't previously get the 2CD reissue of 1001 Autunni because they already had the Altr0ck CD might wanna notice the SPECIAL DEAL ON BANDCAMP TO GET THE INSOLUBILIA CD AND THE 1001 AUTUNNI 2CD FOR €30!!1!
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 07-02-2021 at 11:07 AM.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post

Paolo looks a little like a young Igor Stravinsky, but with less hair.

I may need a better pair of spectacles.
    Except that Paolo is about two feet taller. Also, from what I recall, his profile is quite unlike that of Stravinsky.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Except that Paolo is about two feet taller. Also, from what I recall, his profile is quite unlike that of Stravinsky.
    You may not beleive it, but when I was young I went to an audition for Brad Pitt double. Did not get the job, but when I was walking away, I could swear some interviewer grumbled "...fucking Stravinsky..."
    I guess now I get his point. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ske View Post
    You may not beleive it, but when I was young I went to an audition for Brad Pitt double....
    Quote Originally Posted by ske View Post
    ...but I really wanted to display my natural beautiness for as much as possible, for the ladies.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Already pre-ordered, and very much looking forward to hearing the whole thing when it’s released. Thanks for sharing, Paolo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post

Those people (like me) who didn't previously get the 2CD reissue of 1001 Autunni because they already had the Altr0ck CD might wanna notice the SPECIAL DEAL ON BANDCAMP TO GET THE INSOLUBILIA CD AND THE 1001 AUTUNNI 2CD FOR €30!!1!
    Damn I did not notice that and I already ordered new album. Oh well.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Great news, superb promo vid and looking forward to hearing the new SKE in all its glory on July 11th!
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Looking forward to it! Once it arrives in america, I shall pounce. The first album was basically everything one could want out of modern prog, so expectations are high.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^^ This! I'd never heard anything by this band, but I'm listening to 1001 Autunni now for the first time, about 20 minutes from the end. The album is EXCELLENT! IMMEDIATELY EXCELLENT! That goes for both the studio album and the live concert recording. I was planning on only listening to the first couple of tracks, but I couldn't turn it off!

There's a lot to dig into, but one of my first impressions was a mashup of Happy the Man and Anglagard!