Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Song intros that make you think 'Where on earth is this going?'

Song intros that make you think 'Where on earth is this going?'

Just a bit of fun really, and it can be any genre rather than just prog, but I was playing a few songs recently with intro's that kind of throw you off, and wonder where where the song is headed, or that the actual song is completely different to the intro.

I will kick off with 3...

Jungle Love, Steve Miller band. That synth intro, which is a bit startling when you first hear it, and very different to the rest of the song. I currently have this as my ringtone, and people think a siren has gone off...

The Lone Ranger, by Quantum Jump. A very minor hit in the UK in the 70's...a bit of a WTF opening for sure.

Hooked on a Feeling, by Blue Swede. Another song that makes you wonder what on earth is going on. Famously used in Reservoir Dogs and also Guardians Of The Galaxy.

Any more?
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Hooked on a Feeling, by Blue Swede. Another song that makes you wonder what on earth is going on. Famously used in Reservoir Dogs and also Guardians Of The Galaxy.

And many episodes of Ally McBeal. When it receives radio airplay, the intro is typically edited out.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Sweet Jane (live from Rock And Roll Animal) - Lou Reed

I Need A Lover - John Cougar

Last edited by progcd54; 06-26-2021 at 08:59 PM.
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

The Soft Parade
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Bryan Ferry - A Fool For Love, on the album it's separately entitled "Ja Nun Hons Pris" and was composed by Richard the Lionhearted, but it's used as an intro.

Every Christian Lion Hearted Man Will Show You - Bee Gees

"Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Another one...

Forever and Ever, by Slik, formed in Glasgow UK in the early 70's, and featuring a pre-Ultravox Midge Ure. Starts off as a kind of Gregorian chant and then becomes a Bay City Rollers song (Probably intentional, as it was written by the guys who wrote most of BCR's hits). I can clearly remember watching this clip on Top Of The Pops back in the day and thinking 'What the hell is this?'

I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Santana - Eternal Caravan of Reincarnation. One of my all time favorite album beginnings with the sax solo and crickets.

First one I thought of:

No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

YES - Roundabout

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    I Need A Lover - John Cougar
    I Need A Lover always struck me as sounding like someone said "We need three more minutes of music for this album", so they just came up with this elaborate arrangement that was predicated solely on achieving that goal.

One that I always thought had an interesting intro is The Camera Eye by Rush. That's another one where you're not sure where the song is going. Rush had a few different songs like that, e.g. Cygnus X-1, or A Farewell To Kings.

Baba O'Riley I think also qualifies here, starting off with what we always thought was a synth, but it's actually Pete's Lowrey organ, then the piano comes in playing bass line. It's not until Keith starts thrashing away that you hear anything that even remotely sounds like The Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    As far as 70's hits, the intro to "Seasons In The Sun" always leaves me expecting a harder rocking song than what follows. I have read it was played by guitarist Link Wray.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I Need A Lover always struck me as sounding like someone said "We need three more minutes of music for this album", so they just came up with this elaborate arrangement that was predicated solely on achieving that goal.

One that I always thought had an interesting intro is The Camera Eye by Rush. That's another one where you're not sure where the song is going. Rush had a few different songs like that, e.g. Cygnus X-1, or A Farewell To Kings.

Baba O'Riley I think also qualifies here, starting off with what we always thought was a synth, but it's actually Pete's Lowrey organ, then the piano comes in playing bass line. It's not until Keith starts thrashing away that you hear anything that even remotely sounds like The Who.
    Even more amazing, Pete played it in real time. It sounds like it was programmed into a sequencer or arpeggiator.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Styx- Put Me On.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    This says that the Wray thing isn't true,

https://www.superseventies.com/1974_...0age%20of%2015.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Even more amazing, Pete played it in real time. It sounds like it was programmed into a sequencer or arpeggiator.
    As I recall, he was using a feature on the organ called "mandolin repeat", which I gather is what gives that "sequencer" vibe.

The Beatles "Come Together"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    This says that the Wray thing isn't true,

https://www.superseventies.com/1974_...0age%20of%2015.
    I guess that could be one of those urban legends, like Donovan saying that Allan Holdsworth played on "Hurdy Gurdy Man."

The Ancient - Giants under the sun from Topographic.
    turns out it never really goes anywhere.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

California Girls

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    The Ancient - Giants under the sun from Topographic.
    turns out it never really goes anywhere.
    Speaking of Yes, "Sound Chaser" is up there for startling intros.

The first time I ever heard "Roundabout", I was utterly fascinated by the first few seconds - I was actually disappointed when the organ, bass, and drums jumped in. Imagine doing a whole song like that!
    National Flat Earth Society: The only thing we have to fear, is sphere itself.

As far as being thrown off, I still have trouble hearing the "one" in the right place at the beginning of "Yours Is No Disgrace."

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Heart - Crazy On You. Nancy's acoustic guitar solo. Because radio had a habit of editing the intro out for the sake of time, many people never heard it unless someone else played the album version. I had someone tell me years back they thought they were listening to the intro to a Yes song.

Steely Dan - Rikki Don't Lose That Number. The quirky marimba intro was edited out for its initial 45rpm issue (for radio play), then years later their label edited it out of the '99 remaster reissue, much to Fagen and Becker's chagrin. Many people have yet to hear it.

Chicago - Does Anyone Really Know What Time It Is. I grew up with this song and it remains a classic rock staple but I was probably in my late 30s before I heard the album version with it rag time styled acoustic piano intro. I had no idea what I was listening to until the horns kicked in. I still catch people (my age) off guard when I play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    California Girls
    In the same spirit, Good Vibrations. If it wasn’t so thoroughly well-known...