Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 138

Thread: Common Ground, Big Big Train Review

  1. #1
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,516

    Common Ground, Big Big Train Review

    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  2. #2
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,516
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  3. #3
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,516
    on
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,710
    Even Pete Pardo is on board now.
    Prog's Not Dead

  5. #5
    Jon Neudorf
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    437
    Very much looking forward to this.

  6. #6
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,258
    Man, this site is brutal on my wallet. Cha Ching. More expensive then a usual disc despite free shipping on Amazon.ca.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  7. #7
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,516
    This doesnít seem too bad, at 13.95 USD.
    https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/album/common-ground
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  8. #8
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,882
    $17 (plus postage) for the CD from their US distributor:

    https://thebandwagonusa.com/collections/big-big-train
    ------------------------------------------

    I've been vaccinated five times!

  9. #9
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,258
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    $17 (plus postage) for the CD from their US distributor:

    https://thebandwagonusa.com/collections/big-big-train
    No thanks. Shipping is over $15 USD.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  10. #10
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,516
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    $17 (plus postage) for the CD from their US distributor:

    https://thebandwagonusa.com/collections/big-big-train
    I would expect that once shipments go to the US, it should be less expensive. I buy Blu-rayís and not many CDs anymore. I prefer the formats available from Bandcamp.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  11. #11
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,516
    I just noticed that Lasercd has BBT releases but this yet. I suspect they will eventually and with reasonable prices.

    https://www.lasercd.com/
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  12. #12
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,882
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    $17 (plus postage) for the CD from their US distributor:

    https://thebandwagonusa.com/collections/big-big-train
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    No thanks. Shipping is over $15 USD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I would expect that once shipments go to the US, it should be less expensive. I buy Blu-ray’s and not many CDs anymore. I prefer the formats available from Bandcamp.
    Thanks for letting me know my post was not helpful to you. Please note that it was not in response to any one, specific person. If it doesn't apply to you, it wasn't meant for you. If you don't live in the US or you don't buy CDs, move along.
    ------------------------------------------

    I've been vaccinated five times!

  13. #13
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,516
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thanks for letting me know my post was not helpful to you. Please note that it was not in response to any one, specific person. If it doesn't apply to you, it wasn't meant for you. If you don't live in the US or you don't buy CDs, move along.
    Quite a presumptive and coarse statement. I live in the US and buy CDs. Prefer to buy higher res formats via Bandcamp or CDs from LaserCD. I’ve indicated the possibility of LaserCD having this CD in the future.
    Last edited by Firth; 06-26-2021 at 06:19 PM.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    26
    First review in a mainstream music magazine - 7/10 in the new issue of Uncut & some nice comments about the songs.

    Very heartening that BBT's breakthrough into the mainstream music media is being sustained.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,898
    Another new song, hoping for more solid prog on the album but this is good too:


  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    26
    The other mainstream UK music magazine Mojo also carries a review of 'Common Ground' in its latest issue - in which the reviewer drools over 'Dandelion Clock' & 'Endnotes'. At last BBT are getting the attention they deserve from the mainstream publications.

    There's also a thoughtful & very complimentary review in the new issue of 'Classic Rock'.

  17. #17
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,516
    Quote Originally Posted by BBTPassenger View Post
    The other mainstream UK music magazine Mojo also carries a review of 'Common Ground' in its latest issue - in which the reviewer drools over 'Dandelion Clock' & 'Endnotes'. At last BBT are getting the attention they deserve from the mainstream publications.

    There's also a thoughtful & very complimentary review in the new issue of 'Classic Rock'.
    Itís a shame that 2020 killed their first US concert exposure.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  18. #18
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,516
    Classic Rock review:
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  19. #19
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,516
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    26
    Lovely review & so well-deserved. I'm not sure the song 'Atlantic Cable' is any grander than the story that inspired it, though! After repeated failures, that was a real triumph of Victorian engineering & perseverance. It strikes me that the song, as well as reinforcing the album's general theme of communication, also underpins the view that these days BBT really are a transatlantic act, with sizeable audiences in both the UK & the USA.

  21. #21
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,516
    Quote Originally Posted by BBTPassenger View Post
    Lovely review & so well-deserved. I'm not sure the song 'Atlantic Cable' is any grander than the story that inspired it, though! After repeated failures, that was a real triumph of Victorian engineering & perseverance. It strikes me that the song, as well as reinforcing the album's general theme of communication, also underpins the view that these days BBT really are a transatlantic act, with sizeable audiences in both the UK & the USA.
    Great and though hopes were dashed in 2020, I hope that 2022 is a year they physically cross the Atlantic to travel here in the US.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  22. #22
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,516
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  23. #23
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Twin Peaks
    Posts
    462
    I ordered it from Band Wagon USA. Paid for it on Saturday and got it Monday(today) 4 days before the release date, which is great!
    I bought two other cds and a shirt, so the shipping was $10, but I got it all in 2 days!

    So far I am underwhelmed by the album. But I have only listened once. So far the first half has way too many alternate singers, when I would rather just hear David sing.
    Considering it is written by the main songwriters that have made such great music since Underfall Yard, I'm not sure why this should not impress on the first listen? Maybe it was because of them not being able to work on the songs together in the same space? Maybe the loss of 2 or 3 members?
    Not sure.
    I hope it grows on me, but for now I just give it a ...Meh.

  24. #24
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,516
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I ordered it from Band Wagon USA. Paid for it on Saturday and got it Monday(today) 4 days before the release date, which is great!
    I bought two other cds and a shirt, so the shipping was $10, but I got it all in 2 days!

    So far I am underwhelmed by the album. But I have only listened once. So far the first half has way too many alternate singers, when I would rather just hear David sing.
    Considering it is written by the main songwriters that have made such great music since Underfall Yard, I'm not sure why this should not impress on the first listen? Maybe it was because of them not being able to work on the songs together in the same space? Maybe the loss of 2 or 3 members?
    Not sure.
    I hope it grows on me, but for now I just give it a ...Meh.
    I donít expect BBTís output will ever be as impacting on me, as Full Power, my first exposure. I like Underfall Yard, but itís production was a detraction but not too negative. Itís just my ears are very sensitive to good production, and bad production but no of these are truly bad production. Live music by BBT is all ways great. However, based on the songs released, this release is different enough and well produced, to be a positive. Some people are commenting that Nickís vocal contributions are good, and refer back to his work with Spockís Beard before and after NM left.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  25. #25
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,882
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I ordered it from Band Wagon USA. Paid for it on Saturday and got it Monday(today) 4 days before the release date, which is great!
    I bought two other cds and a shirt, so the shipping was $10, but I got it all in 2 days!
    I received my copy from Band Wagon today to. I've also only listened to it once, so I need more listens. Some of it sounded very good.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    So far the first half has way too many alternate singers, when I would rather just hear David sing.
    Longdon sings lead vocals on all the tracks with vocals, according to the credits.There are backing vocals, and a small amount of female vocals in a song or two. So it didn't seem like there were any lead vocals by other vocalists, aside from what I just mentioned.
    ------------------------------------------

    I've been vaccinated five times!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •