Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A Gift To Progressive Ears - Now A Gift To YOU (Please Read)

A Gift To Progressive Ears - Now A Gift To YOU (Please Read)

As we know from this thread https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...-(Winkersnuff), our friend and long-time member Chris Buckley (Winkersnuff) passed away in January.

In an extraordinary act of kindness:

Chris bequeathed his CD collection to Progressive Ears!

For those who're interested - we will send you a handful of CDs - free. The only requirement is that you start a thread expressing a few of your thoughts about at least one of those CDs. Let us know when you do so, and we'll make it the featured CD.

This will allow us to distribute Chris's CDs into our Progressive Ears community and to ensure they generate discussions, which I'm sure will meet Chris's wishes.

We REALLY hope you'll all participate in this process. We'd like to honor Chris, we'd like to distribute his music to you for free, and we'll all enjoy a different take on our featured CDs - at least for a while.

Let me know if you'd like free CDs - either in this thread or via PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

A few notes:

I work full time and have many demands on my time, and do not have the bandwidth to be picky about how we do this. So:

• I am NOT cataloging these CDs.
    • You'll receive a random sampling of Chris's CDs.
    • I am not in a position to accept requests for specific types of music. So requests like I'm only interested in RIO, I only want neo, I only want '70s prog etc. can't be accommodated. Chris's collection is pretty diverse and we will TRY to ensure there's a good mix of styles in each package.
    • If you receive CDs you don't like - feel free to trade them with friends via "The Trading Post:" here on Progressive Ears! https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...e-Trading-Post
    • This is free, and I'm not even charging you for shipping. We'll fund a small amount of the shipping costs from PE's meager ) account, and I may end up paying the rest of the shipping myself.
    • I'll batch up the requests, and will send them weekly. So don't expect Amazon-like turnaround on your orders
    • We are NOT asking you to write a full review - though that would be welcome! A few random thoughts and observations will suffice, and we hope each thread will generate discussions about the music.

I look forward to hearing from you...
    Regards,

Duncan

How very kind of Chris to think of us.

I would be interested in participating. And thank you for handling this, Duncan.
    Last edited by Scott Bails; 06-18-2021 at 12:26 PM.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I would like take part in this wonderful and thoughtful notion of Chris'.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm absolutely interested. I only met Chris a couple times at NF but could tell that they broke the mold with him he was definitely marching to a different drummer.

Please let me know what you need via PM or whatever

Thanks so much for doing this, it's a tremendous act of kindness not only from Chris but also from PE!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This is a generous offer, I'd like to receive a batch. I'm in Canada though.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I hung out with Chris at every Progday I’ve been to. This is a really nice final gesture from him. I’d be happy to have a few of his CDs.

(Duncan, do you need my snail-mail address? Jed)

What a great gift to the community! Yeah, count me in.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Sounds good to me. Thanks, to you and Chris.

That's amazing, I love this idea and I'm totally in.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I am interested. I met Chris and we chatted briefly a couple when I was at ProgDay as a member of Eccentric Orbit. 2015? He was a cool guy and loved a pretty wide range of styles. We definitely had some crossover in our tastes.

Anything I am not keen on, I will give to friends or donate to a local library or record shop.

Thanks.

I'd love to be a part of this.Count me in, please.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I would try my best to review all that I am offered.
    Count me in.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Count me interested. But I'm not very active here and I doubt it's fair to send me anything. Still, if you decide to send me something, I'd be happy to start a thread. For Chris.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

I'd love to participate, I'll even kick in postage if needed.

Awesome gesture from Chris and fantastic way to ensure his gift lives on and brings meaning to music fans. Count me in! I will gladly repay shipping costs as well.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Chris was such a nice guy, and this is further proof of that. I met him a couple of times at Progday, and once sat with him at a table, when he drove all the way up to Toronto to see the Moulettes. A very positive, fun guy to be around.

I'd like to be in on this wonderful offer.

Neil

Duncan- this is a great way to honor Chris. I am in.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Chris was a great guy and this is a lovely offer, I'm in.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

What a nice jester. Count me in! (I may have to do the same someday)
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    I'd love to participate, I'll even kick in postage if needed.
    The same for me. Duncan, it doesn't seem fair if you end up having to eat some of the postage cost. Maybe we could contribute $5 or $10 through the site's paypal?

Also one other suggestion: no need to send the discs in the jewel cases. That should keep costs down

I'll PM you my snailmail.

That is a very generous offer! I’m interested of course. But I live in Europe, so if it cost too much or if it’s too complicated, it’s no big deal if I can’t participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    What a nice jester.
    Send him the Marillion CDs.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

This is a really nice idea, Duncan. I remember Chris from his posts here and he seemed like a good guy. Sadly I never met him in person... But what a generous thing to do, leaving his CD collection to the Progressive Ears community.

I would love to be part of this, and would gladly share my thoughts on any CDs. I'd be happy to pay the cost of shipping to me as well. Just let me know what you need.