Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: A Gift To Progressive Ears - Now A Gift To YOU (Please Read)

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Unfortunately all CDs have already been shipped.

Over 400, sent to 81 recipients - 68 in the USA, the rest in Europe and Canada.

I did.
    Oh well. When did you ship out the last batch?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Oh well. When did you ship out the last batch?
    See post #177.

I Received:

1.Queen-A Night at the Opera(Will be re-gifting)
    2.Frank Zappa-Hot Rats(Will be re-gifting)
    3.Varese-Arcana, Integrales, Deserts, Octandre, Offrandes(Naxos Comp.)Fucking KILLER!
    4.Lindsay Cooper-OH MOSCOW with text by Sally Potter-Live 1989. Hugh Hopper is a beast on this recording!

Wow, I got a very nice selection:

1) Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick: Believe it or not I do not own this album and have likely never heard it in its entirety. So, this is a keeper for sure.
    2) Santana - Inner Secrets: I own one Santana album and it's not this one. I like Santana and is definitely something I could do with more of. This album will likely spark some spending of money for sure!
    3) Stravinsky - Le Sacre du Printemps - The Firebird - Petrouchka - Pulcinella - Jeu de cartes (2 CDs): Cool! I do not own much classical music and it's something I've always been interested in listen to more of. So, definitely a nice addition.
    4) Maneige - Montreal, 6 a.m.: Don't know much about these guys. I've seen the name before but that's about it. This appears to be a CD-R rip of the vinyl. Nicely printed artwork and all though.
    5) L'Orkestre Des Pas Perdus - Mondo Cuivro: Completely unknown to me but I'll give it a listen for sure!

Thanks to Duncan for putting the effort into organizing this. And thanks to Chris of course (RIP)! These CDs will have a very good home!

I got my batch last week, had to wait a few extra days to get them across the border to Mexico.

This is what I received:

1.- Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin. I know this album but didn't own it.
    2.-Le Orme - Elementi. I've heard a few songs live but didn't own it.
    3.- Rabbit Rabbit Radio - Volume 1. Not familiar with this one.
    4.- Tin Hat Trio - Helium. Not familiar with this one.
    5.- 21st Century Schizoid Band - Live In Japan DVD. I have this one in the DVD/CD combo. This version has a booklet that was not in the one I have. I will look into giving it to a friend.

I did not notice the smell some are reporting. As I was typing this I had to take some deep smells and I finally caught a whiff of the peculiar odor. Interesting.

Looking forward to hearing these albums and think of Chris as I do.

Many thanks Duncan for all your efforts.

Back from vacation and picked up my mail and found:
    Anglagard Hybris I wish I didn't already own it so I could relive a first listen! Love this disc
    Duke Ellington Three Suites I've heard of him of course but not really familiar, see the first suite s the Nutcracker which I know, look forward to hearing this version
    Marillion Holidays in Eden Don't have any Marillion so I'll see if this one prompts me to look into them further
    The Muffins Bandwidth IIRC, I saw the Muffins at a Nearfest and enjoyed them. Don't own any so also looking forward to this one
    A dvd, Icons Among Us I'm not terribly familiar with a lot of Jazz, I know I've liked quite a few but I am relatively ignorant of most. The only Name in the credits I know is Herbie Hancock and I've enjoyed stuff by him. I will watch it one night when wife is out.

Thank you Duncan for all your work.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    Back from vacation and picked up my mail and found:
    Marillion Holidays in Eden Don't have any Marillion so I'll see if this one prompts me to look into them further
    Holiday In Eden is Marillion weakest album since the 1980s. I recommend Brave or Afraid of Sunlight (you can likely sample on YouTube).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Holiday In Eden is Marillion weakest album since the 1980s. I recommend Brave or Afraid of Sunlight (you can likely sample on YouTube).
    That’s one opinion but my impression is that many Marillion fans that are prog fans, prefer the Fish era and that includes me. Except for Season’s End which is Hogarth, but with Fish writing, I find the Hogarth stuff samey and blah emo. My award included Script for a Jester’s Tear, with Fish and it is very good even though it’s not the best recording.
    Last edited by Firth; 07-23-2021 at 09:40 AM.

Banned
    BTW - Script for a Jester’s Tear is rated close to Misplaced Childhood in prog archives amongst several rated 4 or above, with Brave at 3.97 just below slightly.
    Last edited by Firth; 07-23-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    That’s one opinion but my impression is that many Marillion fans that are prog fans, prefer the Fish era and that includes me. Except for Season’s End which is Hogarth, but with Fish writing, I find the Hogarth stuff samey and blah emo. My award included Script for a Jester’s Tear, with Fish is very good even though it’s not the best recording.
    That's one other opinion and I don't agree with your assumptions (what most fans like). I would venture that most Marillion fans are in fact happy with Steve's direction with the band. Brave and Sunlight are vastly superior to the primitive and formative music at the very start of their career, far more sophisticated and still very proggy. After all, modern Marillion still includes epic songs that are a hallmark of progressive music. I also would say their music is still varied in modern times.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-23-2021 at 11:38 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

My parcel arrived yesterday – thank you so much Duncan and Chris! Inside were:

Genesis – Selling England by the Pound (and when I looked was surprised to see this was one of only a couple of their output up to And Then There Were Three that I didn’t have on CD so a welcome addition!)

Gentle Giant – Free Hand (I just recently picked up the 35th anniversary version, so as my nephew has mentioned recently listening to Octopus this wil be one for him)

ELP – Tarkus (happy to have this again – I need to revisit the title track to see if I can get it to click for me at last)

Gong – You (I love this one – but think I might have the CD in which case I'm sure my nephew will be happy to have it).

many Marillion fans that are prog fans, prefer the Fish era and that includes me.
    Cool, I was hoping someone would bring this up.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Here are my favorite pictures of Chris with one of his favorite albums. It is my copy he is holding as he didn't have vinyl.

162780326_583056895987004_373766382334068106_n.jpgChris 2.jpgChris 3.jpg
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Banned
    That one other opinion and I don't agree with your assumptions (what most fans like). I would venture that most Marillion fans are in fact happy with Steve's direction
    I referred to prog fans in general and I would never make an assumption about majorities. I referenced prog archives because otherwise making assumptions based on my experience doesn’t have much weight. However having read many posts about Marillion and having seen the overwhelming response towards Fish at Nearfest, and listened to much of the Hogarth era stuff, the prog archives rating seems to be consistent. I don’t think Hogarth’s stuff is bad, but I would be remiss when talking about the band, to not mention the Fish era. I think you are correct about Marillion fans.
    Last edited by Firth; 07-23-2021 at 11:34 AM.

I referred to prog fans in general and I would never make an assumption about majorities. I referenced prog archives because otherwise making assumptions based on my experience doesn’t have much weight. However having read many posts about Marillion and having seen the overwhelming response towards Fish at Nearfest, and listened to much of the Hogarth era stuff, the prog archives rating seems to be consistent. I don’t think Hogarth’s stuff is bad, but I would be remiss when talking about the band, to not mention the Fish era. I think you are correct about Marillion fans.
    I like Fish era but it was more of a formative stage with the band. They've become much more sophisticated musicians over the past 30 years. I saw for the Brave rating it is quite high compared to the rest of their catalog. I can only speak for myself, but Brave is a masterpiece and have all kinds of prog references.

Thank you Duncan & Team. I received the discs this week. I'll be following up with you per the enclosed instructions. Thank so very much! I hope Chris is smiling!

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Here are my favorite pictures of Chris with one of his favorite albums. It is my copy he is holding as he didn't have vinyl.

Great photos Dave. Man, he was taken way too soon.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post

Those are nice pictures, thanks for sharing them. Still such a shame to have lost him. I'm sorry.

I like Fish era but it was more of a formative stage with the band. They've become much more sophisticated musicians over the past 30 years. [...] I can only speak for myself, but Brave is a masterpiece and have all kinds of prog references.
    I agree with you 100%. But this is just my opinion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Great photos Dave. Man, he was taken way too soon.

Neil
    Indeed Neil, we have not really come to terms with his passing...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Cant wait to explore this !!

IMG_3466.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohost View Post
    Whatever you send me, I will play on Thought Radio™ even if I already have it. We must remember our own.
    Package received and it included a CD that fits the format of Phase 3, the Prog portion of Thought Radio™. Notation in today's report at:
    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...t-Radio/page22

BTW, "Wet Dream" (imo) slipped under the radar of many people. It should have received more notice when it was initially released.
    Last edited by Radiohost; 07-25-2021 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks PE staff. Fetched the discs out of the post today. Will start listening next weekend and review the one I like the most. Thanks again.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

BTW, "Wet Dream" (imo) slipped under the radar of many people. It should have received more notice when it was initially released.
    I’ll second that. It really shows what he brought to Pink Floyd. But Wright never played it live so with no marketing, it never went anywhere. A shame.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

My second favorite Floyd solo after Gilmour - s/t
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.