Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: A Gift To Progressive Ears - Now A Gift To YOU (Please Read)

I received mine today. I thank you very much. Now to hone my writing skills hehehe

Last edited by Finch Platte; 07-12-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Got mine, thank you Duncan for your efforts, and what a great thing for Chris to do, very inspiring.

NP: Chris' Chick Corea's My Spanish Heart

Other discs I received from Chris' collection: Porcupine Tree- Signify
    Dvorak's Symphony #9
    Ed Palermo's Big Band- Oh No! Not Jazz!
    David Willey- Songs From The Hamster Theatre

As i already have the Porcupine Tree, I'd be glad to forward it to someone who'd like to hear it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Walt, Dan'l, and Ian - What CDs did you get?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Just got mine. Thanks, Duncan. And Chris!

Zappa - Grand Wazoo
    Stanley Clarke - Journey to Love
    Santana - Abraxas
    Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses
    Bartok - Orchestral Masterpieces (Solti)

Killer.

The Zappa and Tull are duplicates, bit I will find them a home. Probably my sis.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Henry Cow boxset. I already have it but I know a Henry Cow fan who hasn't got it who knew Chris from ProgDay. We used to sit next to Chris every year. Ian Beabout for those that know him.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 07-12-2021 at 09:54 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Henry Cow boxset. I already have it but I know a Henry Cow fan who hasn't got it who knew Chris from ProgDay. We used to sit next to Chris every year. Ian Beabout for those that know him.
    Been thinking about Ian lately, and how long it's been since he posted here. I miss his presence on PE.

How has he been?

FYI, the cd's i received are:

Zappa/MoI-Absolutely Free
    Jean-Luc Ponty-Civilized Evil
    Steve Hackett-Voyage of the Acolyte
    Stabat Akish-s/t
    Shostakovich-Symphonies Nos. 5&6
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Been thinking about Ian lately, and how long it's been since he posted here. I miss his presence on PE.

How has he been?
    He's good, he's very active on Facebook. He built a studio and does a lot of mixing and producing projects there. Currently working on transferring old reel tapes for a substantial Muffins archival boxed set.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I know Chris's collection quite well, I'll be curious as to who gets any Them Jazzbeards CD's, I'm confident you'll be exclusive.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I know Chris's collection quite well, I'll be curious as to who gets any Them Jazzbeards CD's, I'm confident you'll be exclusive.
    I got something called Combustible Edison which I know nothing about along with One size fits all, Per un amico, Shostakovich 8th (Barshai) and a live 3 Friends DVD

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Got my package of Chris’ CDs yesterday. Thank you, Chris and Duncan! It’s very nice to have something that belonged to Chris.

I got his copy of Chunga’s Revenge, so that’s cool. Also a Jean Luc Ponty album I don’t have. I forget the others, but interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    I got something called Combustible Edison which I know nothing about along with One size fits all, Per un amico, Shostakovich 8th (Barshai) and a live 3 Friends DVD

best
    Michael
    I believe that the 3 Friends DVD is called The Boar? If so, I made this as a fundraiser for GORGG, The Global On Reflection Online Giant Gathering, to celebrate the 1st 3F show.
    Dave Sr.

I believe that the 3 Friends DVD is called The Boar? If so, I made this as a fundraiser for GORGG, The Global On Reflection Online Giant Gathering, to celebrate the 1st 3F show.
    Hey Dave...hope you are doing well!!!

Yep, that's exactly what it is.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Hey Dave...hope you are doing well!!!

Yep, that's exactly what it is.

best
    Michael
    Sorry Michael, but which Michael are you?
    Dave Sr.

Chris must have burned incense in his listening room. The CD booklets give off the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Chris must have burned incense in his listening room. The CD booklets give off the fragrance.
    I would guess a combined aroma of pipe tobacco, weed, and most of all his wood pellet stove which heated his house. Add to that his personal favorite fragrance Patchouli and you have quite a pong!
    Dave Sr.

I would guess a combined aroma of pipe tobacco, weed, and most of all his wood pellet stove which heated his house. Add to that his personal favorite fragrance Patchouli and you have quite a pong!
    That sounds about right. Whatever it is, the booklets smell good and add another level of "personal touch" to his generous donation.

That sounds about right. Whatever it is, the booklets smell good and add another level of "personal touch" to his generous donation.
    Because I've had many hundreds of Chris's CDs in my home office for a few weeks, you can imagine the aroma I've been enjoying all that time!
    Regards,

Duncan

Them Jazzbeards really? A good friend is the violin player and used to book them at the college I worked all the time for the lunch time concert series. Best place to see them was in some small bar where they would drink excessively and play. Not prog but fun music with great song titles.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Walt, Dan'l, and Ian - What CDs did you get?
    Bill Bruford - One of a Kind
    Styx - Paradise Theatre
    UK - s/t
    5UUs (in the other room where my stereo is and I don't recall the title but I've been curious about these guys for years. Looking at the covers online I think it's Hunger's Teeth.)
    Los Chicanos - In the Eye of the Storm (DVD)

I am one very happy camper. Now all I need is some listening time.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by jsiko40 View Post
    Them Jazzbeards really? A good friend is the violin player and used to book them at the college I worked all the time for the lunch time concert series. Best place to see them was in some small bar where they would drink excessively and play. Not prog but fun music with great song titles.
    My wife & I discovered them in 1990 while having dinner before going upstairs to a Michael Hedges show at the Tralf. They would play in the restaurant from 5pm on...Michael Miskuly is a terrific violinist, much in the European style. I'll be curious to see what PE thinks of them.
    Dave Sr.

Yes the bar on the ground level was a place they played often. Mike is true to his Serbian creation roots is classically trained and is one hell of a player. Small world but good music finds a way sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by jsiko40 View Post
    Yes the bar on the ground level was a place they played often. Mike is true to his Serbian creation roots is classically trained and is one hell of a player. Small world but good music finds a way sometimes.
    Don't want to hijack the thread but Chris played a bit of violin in his youth and was blown away with Michaels playing, and of course JL Ponty.
    Dave Sr.

What is Media Mail?

Formerly known as “book rate shipping,” media mail was introduced by the US Post Office in 1938 to encourage the exchange of educational materials. The definition of media has since been expanded to include film, DVDs, CDs, and other forms of digital media.

To this day, USPS Media Mail is generally the cheapest way to ship books and similar items. The USPS defines educational media as:

Books (8+ pages)
    Printed music (sheet paper)
    Camera film (no blank film)
    Audio/video recordings (CDs and DVDs)
    Scripts for plays and book manuscripts
    Educational periodicals
    Digital media of educational intent
    Printed reference charts
    Maps
    Printed test materials
    Medical paperwork for medical schools or doctors

You cannot combine educational items with non-qualifying items in the same package. USPS is very strict on this. This means personal notes and cards must be sent via another package. The only items you can include in shipping media boxes are “extra enclosures” that pertain directly to the item in a shipment, including:

Bills or invoices
    Notes introducing the media
    Instructions for use
    Corrections for any media

USPS Media Mail is only available within the United States.