Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: A Gift To Progressive Ears - Now A Gift To YOU (Please Read)

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Duncan, how will this work? Will you be reaching out to us for our mailing addresses?
    Yes - will start doing so in a few days time.

For now I'm making a note of who has expressed interest, and I'll start making 1:1 contact soon.
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 06-19-2021 at 12:00 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

IMPORTANT NOTE:

I'd like to call out 2 PE members who were close friends with Chris.

adap2it was a very close personal friend despite the need to cross international borders.

Gryphon and his wife (name withheld unless he wants to share it here) were also close friends - and "Mrs. Gryphon" was the executor of Chris's estate.

I won't go into further details, but adap2it and Gryphon and perhaps others on PE that I don't know were very involved in Chris's life and helped out in many ways. PE is blessed to have so many "quality people" (for lack of a better word).

Kudos!
    Regards,

Duncan

What a great idea, I would also like to be a part of it. Glad to pay postage too. You're already devoting a fair amount of time to get this together, thanks!

I'd like to have a few of these. I'll pay the postage, too. I'm not good at reviewing but I will certainly give it a try.

This is great, and I am interested as well. I would be happy to pay shipping charges.

What a wonderful gesture! I would certainly be interested.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Hi, Duncan. I do not post often, but I read the forum nearly daily. I am interested in participating, and I think it would be a great opportunity to get out of my (digital) shell. Thank you.

Duncan, that's very nice and thoughtful of Chris and a great way to commemorate the PE community. I'd be honored to receive a few and will comment on them. I'll PM you my snail mail, it probably needs updating.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Just noticed this thread, and what a lovely gesture on both Chris's part and yours, Duncan. Please count me in with the P.E. Horde that have already stepped forward.

Great way to honour Chris.

I am interested. I never met Chris, but he sounds like a great person.
    One question is do we just randomly choose a prog cd or is there a list to choose from?

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    One question is do we just randomly choose a prog cd or is there a list to choose from?
    Per post no. 2 in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    A few notes:

I work full time and have many demands on my time, and do not have the bandwidth to be picky about how we do this. So:

• I am NOT cataloging these CDs.
    • You'll receive a random sampling of Chris's CDs.
    • I am not in a position to accept requests for specific types of music. So requests like I'm only interested in RIO, I only want neo, I only want '70s prog etc. can't be accommodated. Chris's collection is pretty diverse and we will TRY to ensure there's a good mix of styles in each package.
    • If you receive CDs you don't like - feel free to trade them with friends via "The Trading Post:" here on Progressive Ears! https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...e-Trading-Post
    • This is free, and I'm not even charging you for shipping. We'll fund a small amount of the shipping costs from PE's meager ) account, and I may end up paying the rest of the shipping myself.
    • I'll batch up the requests, and will send them weekly. So don't expect Amazon-like turnaround on your orders
    • We are NOT asking you to write a full review - though that would be welcome! A few random thoughts and observations will suffice, and we hope each thread will generate discussions about the music.
    Regards,

Duncan

Hi Duncan, that's a great idea and I'd love to be involved too, and also happy to cover shipping.

Duncan, that is a really nice thing for him to do and for your efforts too, i'd love to share some of his enthusiasm for great tunes.

Per post no. 2 in this thread:

I meant what albums do we post about?
    I assume you want a review post?
    Do we just pick at random

Oh wait, I read it again.
    When you send the cds to us, you want us to make a thread about at least one of the cds we've received.
    Correct?

When you send the cds to us, you want us to make a thread about at least one of the cds we've received.
    Correct?
    All of them. Blurbs. Doesn't have to be detailed reviews. As I understand it.

That was a very thoughtful gift. I’m so sorry to hear of his passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Send him the Marillion CDs.
    must have been subliminal
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

I meant what albums do we post about?
    I assume you want a review post?
    Do we just pick at random
    Correct?
    That was my initial idea, yes. You'll get a handful of CDs. Pick any one you'd like to comment on, start a thread,, and we'll make that the "Featured CD" for a few days.

Of course you're more than welcome to make a "featured CD" of more than one of the CDs you receive.

Many people have agreed to join this process, so we'll have to find a way to queue up the featured CD submissions - so that each featured CD is uniquely "featured" for a few days.
    Regards,

Duncan

Wow! This is a great idea. Yes, I'd be interested in some CDs. Now I know what I'm going to do with my music collection if PE is still around when it's time (I'm 47 so we'll see).

(Edit: I'll pay shipping.)

Count me in. This is such a generous offer (and so thoughtful on the part of Chris) that I will gladly make a donation in his honor that multiples any shipping costs. Thanks in advance.

I'll partake. Met Chris at some Gorggs.
    I remember tomorrow

What a nice idea. I would love to take part in this thoughtful gesture and would be happy to pay shipping.

As we know from this thread https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...-(Winkersnuff), our friend and long-time member Chris Buckley (Winkersnuff) passed away in January.

In an extraordinary act of kindness:

Chris bequeathed his CD collection to Progressive Ears!

For those who're interested - we will send you a handful of CDs - free. The only requirement is that you start a thread expressing a few of your thoughts about at least one of those CDs. Let us know when you do so, and we'll make it the featured CD.

This will allow us to distribute Chris's CDs into our Progressive Ears community and to ensure they generate discussions, which I'm sure will meet Chris's wishes.

We REALLY hope you'll all participate in this process. We'd like to honor Chris, we'd like to distribute his music to you for free, and we'll all enjoy a different take on our featured CDs - at least for a while.

Let me know if you'd like free CDs - either in this thread or via PM.
    That is so generous. If you can send me some, I will certainly feature at least one on my radio show and here (even if I have it already) and probably more. Can you also send a little info about him that I can include? Send to Deb Sears P.O. Box 96, Superior, AZ 85173 Thank you! If I already have any I will 'pay them forward'.
    Deb S.
    The Prog-Rock Diner www.fcac.org/radio-fairfax
    SUNDAYS 10pm-12am EST

An incredible idea. I know there have been threads in the past about what would happen to a PE members collection when they pass. Many, me included thought their collections would end up in the landfill. Yes please include me in this thoughtful gesture.