Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: A Gift To Progressive Ears - Now A Gift To YOU (Please Read)

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Received my package today and it contained three discs:

The Beatles White Album (Parlophone, 1987, disc 1)
    Genesis Nursery Cryme (Original Atlantic, 1987)
    Camel Mirage (Deram Remaster, 2002)

Was a big Beatles fan when I was a kid, but never bought a single CD. This might change after this
    The other two I have in different versions.

Since the Beatles CD contains the booklet for both discs, I now need to track down disc 2, LOL!
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    i think it's the basic standard and lowest value, imposed by the EC, whether coming from the US (trump tax imposition reply) or UK (brexit)
    Got an invoice from the Swedish customs! About 2 VAT and 7.50 import fee! Not too bloody! Now paid, I still have to receive the package - very excited though!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage;
    Since the Beatles CD contains the booklet for both discs, I now need to track down disc 2, LOL!
    I think Progatron got the other half! I thought that only came out in a 'fat boy' case rather than two separate jewel cases.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The Beatles - White album disc 2
    Ah yes, it's in Canada!
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think Progatron got the other half! I thought that only came out in a 'fat boy' case rather than two separate jewel cases.
    When it was first released it was packaged as two separate jewel boxes placed one atop the other in a white longbox.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the longboxes. Did everyone package CDs that way back then, or was it only some places?

I don't think those longboxes were a 'thing' in the UK. I'm not sure I've ever seen a physical copy of one, in fact.

There was also a 30th anniversary 'vinyl replica' of the 'white album' in the 90s.

EDIT; oh hang on, I do know the record shop HMV put Beatles CDs in exclusive boxes. I've seen a few of those. But they were 12" sized.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the longboxes. Did everyone package CDs that way back then, or was it only some places?
    They were the standard for quite a while, in the 80s anyway, because it meant that record stores could easily display them without buying new racks. They later shifted to the clear plastic kind, where the cover and CD were packaged separately (and if I recall, were a pain to open). Around the early 90s, I remember going into our local Sunrise Records and seeing a wall of jewel cases for the first time. I seem to remember they were concerned that without the packaging, shoplifting would become a bigger problem.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

They need to stop selling CDs and sell downloads and optional full size album covers. Vinyl is what it is, with its cover.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

I worked in a US record store in the mid-80's and the long boxes were an attempt to make it easier for stores to display and merchandise their new stocks of CDs using the store's existing 12" vinyl flip displays. You could fit two stacks of long boxes into one flip display. It was also supposed to cut down on theft (harder to hide under your coat).

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    It was also supposed to cut down on theft (harder to hide under your coat).
    My wife worked at Montgomery Wards (Monkey Wards) back in the 70's and they caught a women who walked out of the store into the mall with a TV between her thighs.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    My wife worked at Montgomery Wards (Monkey Wards) back in the 70's and they caught a women who walked out of the store into the mall with a TV between her thighs.
    Did they tell her she could keep it?
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Where were the rabbit ears ?

My CD Gift package arrived last week. My thanks to Chris for a very thoughtful and creative bequest, and to Duncan for all his efforts in distributing the collection. What a monumental task!

My package consisted of:

1) Genesis ~ Foxtrot (who are these guys, anyways?)

Okay, have this one on LP, but not on CD, so I'm delighted to have a copy I can spin in the car. The other day, while having lunch, I spat out a random "a flower?" to the family, then said nothing, as if I'm going crazy. Then later, when driving, I played the section of Supper's Ready that began with "a flower?". Kind of fun.

2) Weather Report ~ Mysterious Traveller

Also have this one on LP, though hadn't heard it in years. More like decades. Had a listen to most of it in the car and was reminded why my favourite Weather Report albums...came after this one.

3) Ahvak ~ self-titled

Have this one on cd. Nice slab of RIO.

4) David Kane's Them Jazzbeards ~ Soundtrack From The Movie Shadow

Wasn't familiar with this artist. I'm generally not a soundtrack buyer/listener. I'll likely choose this one for a review.

To my fellow Canadian gift-package recipients, if one of the latter three discs above appeal to you, I'm up for a trade if you have an album that would appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    1) Genesis ~ Foxtrot (who are these guys, anyways?)

Okay, have this one on LP, but not on CD, so I'm delighted to have a copy I can spin in the car. The other day, while having lunch, I spat out a random "a flower?" to the family, then said nothing, as if I'm going crazy. Then later, when driving, I played the section of Supper's Ready that began with "a flower?". Kind of fun.
    One of my favorite moments in the entire Genesis catalog is the "A flower?" part.

My package got stuck in the Customs.
    Their online payment-system for the tax has broken down, and at the same time they write that if I dont pay before 10 days they will return the package.
    Since they stamped the letter 6 days has gone, but I got it 2 days ago, and they claim online that its too late to pay now...

I phoned them, and was put in line for 46 minutes before I gave up.
    Idiots.

I will try frequently again the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    My package got stuck in the Customs.
    Their online payment-system for the tax has broken down, and at the same time they write that if I dont pay before 10 days they will return the package.
    Since they stamped the letter 6 days has gone, but I got it 2 days ago, and they claim online that its too late to pay now...

I phoned them, and was put in line for 46 minutes before I gave up.
    Idiots.

I will try frequently again the next couple of days.
    That's mostly my issue and no way to contact them either, by phone or e-mail.
    Only choice I get is a QR code to pay and no way to discuss the fact that it's a gift and value <10€.

I had until the 29th to pay up and only two days to act. I don't think North Korea is that obtuse!!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    That's mostly my issue and no way to contact them either, by phone or e-mail.
    Only choice I get is a QR code to pay and no way to discuss the fact that it's a gift and value <10€.

I had until the 29th to pay up and only two days to act. I don't think North Korea is that obtuse!!!
    I suppose you might end in some prisoncamp there, just for critising.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    My CD Gift package arrived last week. My thanks to Chris for a very thoughtful and creative bequest, and to Duncan for all his efforts in distributing the collection. What a monum

4) David Kane's Them Jazzbeards ~ Soundtrack From The Movie Shadow

Wasn't familiar with this artist. I'm generally not a soundtrack buyer/listener. I'll likely choose this one for a review.

To my fellow Canadian gift-package recipients, if one of the latter three discs above appeal to you, I'm up for a trade if you have an album that would appeal to me.
    The first recipient of the "Beards" I posted earlier that they would turn up...They are a band from Buffalo that I've been following for more than 30 years and Chris got to love them too. The CD's are all out of print and hard to get. The movie is called Shadow Creature btw.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    The first recipient of the "Beards" I posted earlier that they would turn up...They are a band from Buffalo that I've been following for more than 30 years and Chris got to love them too. The CD's are all out of print and hard to get. The movie is called Shadow Creature btw.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I was away from my home for the month of July. I just picked up my stopped mail from the post office. I received some very eclectic selections, none of which I currently own, which is great as my collection is over 10K:

Santana - Amigos: This is the most mainstream of the selections, but while I own many Santana cds, this isn't one of them.

The Klezmorium - First Recordings 1976-1978: Rateyourmusic has the genre listed as Klezmer, which I had never heard of. RYM define Klezmer as Secular Ashkenazi Music traditionally used in ceremonies such as weddings and bar mitzvahs.). Not sure I'll like it but I will give it a try.

Hyry-kone - Hynteisi voi rakastaa: I have the second Hyry-kone cd, but not this one. I must have bought the 2nd cd recently as it's on the "to be listened to" pile.

Paris Combo - Attraction: Never heard of this group. At RYM they are listed as Jazz Pop/Vocal Jazz

Ultimate Wagner - CD#3 Tristan and Isolde Highlights: Not too heavily in to Classical. Star thrower (Reid) has tried to help me in that area. I look forward to listen to this one.

Thank you to Chris (RIP) for his generosity and to Duncan for taking on this enormous task. Now which one to review?

Karl
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Released (!!) by the Swedish customs I received my package today whereof two new acquaintances.

Roger Waters - In the Flesh (DVD). Will be very interesting to watch!

King Crimson - Larks Tounges in Aspic. Got it on vinyl in the 70's, traded for the CD, ripped and sold in a weak moment. Will be nice to revisit!

Duke Ellington - Uptown. Released 1952 and contains some nice classic tunes and suites! Looking forward!

Tin Hat - Foreign Legion. Never heard of and had to google! This is obviously a live album from 2010.

Hard Art Comics Group - Expeditionary Twitch - Other than "The Music of John Elmquist" I have no idea what this is about!

A wonderful opportunity to be a part of this. Though not familiar with Chris before he left us, I send him my thanks for this initiative, and of course to Duncan for this monumental effort and personal effort!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Tin Hat is a great band, this is a Carla Kihlstedt project so pretty much autobuy for me.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post

Roger Waters - In the Flesh (DVD). Will be very interesting to watch!
    One of my favorite concert DVDs of all time. This is where I first heard a lot of the classic Floyd stuff. Great band and the song selection is AMAZING. In particular, I love the little Amused to Death mini-suite in the latter part of the concert, and 'Each Small Candle' - which isn't available anywhere else !
    Ian B, formerly Zombywoof

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Tin Hat is a great band, this is a Carla Kihlstedt project so pretty much autobuy for me.
    I didn't know that. I'll have to research.

BTW - someone got a "Rabbit Rabbit Radio" album. (You, Rick L, and I saw them in Boston ~2013.)
    Regards,

Duncan