Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Yes album due around Sep/Oct; first photos?

^^^ No, I didn't and yep, those two are quite good!

[QUOTE=bondegezou;1050639]H&E is oddly not available on streaming... perhaps for the best!/QUOTE]

H&E somehow ended up in my Amazon Music library. I just looked and it's still there FYI. I had bought Subway Walls since that was the closest thing to something I would expect from Yes. I have no great expectations with this new one. No Chris and no JonA. Hard to even consider it Yes.

Only 3 pages? C'mon people, let's get busy!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I have a friend of a friend who lives in CA, and he swears he saw Billy Sherwood buying guitar strings at Guitar Center.
    He overheard the guy at the counter ask him about the new Yes album.
    Billy, or the guy he thought looked like Billy, shook his head back and forth and said "man, broken strings, lotta broken strings"*

Which led him to the conclusion it's a straight out hard rockin, pedal to the metal progressive rock monster.

*this is a fictional piece, and not to be interpreted as an actual event
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I think I'm one of the few who liked H&E, for the most part. There were a couple of clunkers, but about 80% of it I enjoyed a lot. CTTE it ain't, but... well... never mind.

Of course I'll buy whatever new Yes album comes out, in the hope that it'll be good.

We already have valuable information in this thread.

The Yes Album + Fragile = Tormato
    Fragile = Union
    Close To The Edge + 90125 = Fly From Here
    x (the new album) = Arc Of Life + Halcyon Hymns + Love Is

We can at least conclude that The Yes Album + Union = Tormato, hence Union = Tormato - The Yes album , which somehow indicates that Union is less than the sum of its parts.

^ Too much math for me.

I predict that this album will be like a meteorite hitting the Earth...

To quote Robert Oppenheimer, when translated into Sanskrit, "I am become Yes, the Destroyer Of Worlds."

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Posts like these are why we like you so much, Henry.
    Indeed. I already know I won’t bust the new album. I’m only reading it because Henry is posting.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I'm gonna find you and munch your liver with a set of pretzels stuffed up in my left nostril while I'm listening to Iglesias' El Amor and watching an old episode of Streets of San Francisco.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    We already have valuable information in this thread.

The Yes Album + Fragile = Tormato
    Fragile = Union
    Close To The Edge + 90125 = Fly From Here
    x (the new album) = Arc Of Life + Halcyon Hymns + Love Is

We can at least conclude that The Yes Album + Union = Tormato, hence Union = Tormato - The Yes album , which somehow indicates that Union is less than the sum of its parts.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I am 54 years old. I've been a hardcore Yes fan for 40+ of those years. And hearing the news about a new Yes album "coming out soon" excites me just as much today as it did when I heard 90125 was "coming out soon" in 1983, Talk in 1994 or the Ladder in 1999.

I have been pleased a few times, and disappointed many times, but it appears I'll never give up hoping for that one final classic Yes album to emerge from the ether.
    I totally understand this. I'm 50, and have been a fan since 91025, and I feel exactly the same way. I can remember pulling over to hold the car antenna at the right angle to get reception the first time the local station played "The Calling" in 1994. I was ecstatic. Like you, sometimes I'm thrilled and others, well...less so. But I'll keep on giving them the benefit of the doubt and hoping for the best. A lot of bands have changed my life, but none so much as Yes has.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I think I'm one of the few who liked H&E, for the most part. There were a couple of clunkers, but about 80% of it I enjoyed a lot. CTTE it ain't, but... well... never mind.

Of course I'll buy whatever new Yes album comes out, in the hope that it'll be good.

Same here! There was one song I just can't listen to, and a couple ("Believe Again" and "Subway Walls" mostly) that I really really like. The rest I find melodic and pleasant, with the lack of energy being somewhat made up for by some beautiful melodies. I totally understand those who were completely disappointed in it...Yes at it's best is (to me) about a glorious combination of energy and beauty, so when one or the other is lacking they fall far, far short of what we know as the band's potential. But I have a soft spot for beauty alone. So, while I don't listen to H&E as often as many other Yes albums, I do find much to appreciate in it. And, I have high hopes for the new one, especially as Steve Howe seems to have been pretty insistent on taking the time to make sure it's as good as it can be. I don't expect another CLOSE TO THE EDGE, of course. That would be silly. But I think another FLY FROM HERE or THE LADDER (in terms of quality) is not outside the realm of possibility, and I'd happily take that.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

with Sherwood aboard, does this mean we can expect another Open Your Eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    On the other hand...
    Can Howe, Davison, and Downes compose at the level of Anderson, Rabin, and Squire? I'm hopeful but doubtful.
    May I try to break that question down into parts?

Can Howe compose at the level of Anderson, Rabin, and Squire?

Well, that just seems like crazy talk. Of course he can. Howe has written more Yes music than Rabin or Squire! We're talking about the guy who co-wrote Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans, Relayer and Going for the One.

Can Downes compose at the level of Anderson, Rabin, and Squire?

Downes has been hugely successful as a composer. In a mere 3-year period, he went from a worldwide #1 hit with "Video Killed the Radio Star" to a UK #2 album with Drama to the best-selling album of 1982 in the US, Asia. He sold more records than Anderson, Rabin or Squire in the '80s. That's not a bad résumé.

Can Davison compose at the level of Anderson, Rabin, and Squire?

Fair question! Davison has composing credits on a bit over half a dozen albums. I like some of them (e.g. Cor Cordium), I am disappointed by others (e.g. Arc of Life). He's certainly got the most to prove.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    with Sherwood aboard, does this mean we can expect another Open Your Eyes?
    Or another The Ladder?

With Howe aboard, does this mean we can expect another Going for the One?

I mean, we can make guesses what the new album will be like based on everything the band members have done in the past. I would note that Open Your Eyes was mainly written by Sherwood, with some significant contributions from Anderson and Squire. It doesn't sound like Sherwood has had the same central role on this new album. It appears to have been driven by Howe and Davison's writing, maybe Downes' too. It obviously won't have any contributions from Anderson, and probably not from Squire. Personally, I would look to more recent albums than OYE as possible models.

Henry

I'm a bit worried when I think that the Howe/Davison team is responsible for Step Beyond on H&E, but I remain optimistic about Davison's writing skills, based on Cor Cordium and Light Of The Ages (I confess I only heard two Arc Of Life songs).
    This album will really be the opportunity for him to contribute to the Yes legacy.

I mainly hope that Sherwood isn't on production, engineering or mixing duties, but plays to his strengths and is purely an instrumentalist on this one.

Me too, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    I mainly hope that Sherwood isn't on production, engineering or mixing duties, but plays to his strengths and is purely an instrumentalist on this one.
    With Howe running the show, I'm assuming Sherwood won't be doing his Rabin imitation but instead his Squire imitation.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    We know little yet about the album, but what we do know suggests Sherwood isn't the main producer, engineer or mixer. The main action entailed Howe, Downes and Davison with Curtis Schwartz in some production role (producer? engineer? co-producer?), and Schwartz has also talked about mixing duties. Sherwood appears to have recorded separately: I guess he's been his own engineer. We know White recorded in Los Angeles; we don't know if Sherwood was at those sessions in some role.

Henry

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Maybe they should reach out to Jon to see if has any idears he'd like to contribute

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Maybe they should reach out to Jon to see if has any idears he'd like to contribute
    Best post!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Best post!
    Judging from the work Jon has done with Roine Stolt and his 1000 Hands album, Yes could only benefit from a little involvement from their co-founding vocalist. Jon Davison is a really nice dude and has a nice voice, but a gifted songwriter he is not.

edit: of course we know this is not going to happen lol. Howe likes running the ship way too much to bring Jon back in.