Thread: The Squeeze Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Squeeze Thread

Here is a band I don’t remember ever having a specific thread here on prog ears. Any fans? Apparently they are touring this summer with a 7-piece lineup and are going to be playing about an hour from me. I have only seen them once many years ago and am going to probably try to go if I can get tickets. I kind of came to Squeeze late, after their heyday. The only albums I own are “Live – Round & About”, “Domino” and a 2CD compilation. For fans of the band, what are some of your favorite albums?

Definitely Argybargy. Has the hits "Pulling Mussels" and "Another Nail In My Heart", and also personal faves like "Farfisa Beat" and "If I Didn't Love You."

I don't have any of their albums, but I saw them on the English Mugs tour with Elvis Costello in...1981? Good performances from both artists.

All I have is a copy of Singles 45s and Under, but I think I’d like a more comprehensive collection that has some of their later hits on it (“Hourglass” in particular: love that song!).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Jon Neudorf
    My faves are Argy Bargy, Cool For Cats and East Side Story.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    All I have is a copy of Singles 45s and Under, but I think I’d like a more comprehensive collection that has some of their later hits on it (“Hourglass” in particular: love that song!).
    The compilation that I have is 2 CD's and much more comprehensive than 45's and Under. I can't remember the title off the top of my head, but if you search on Amazon it should be easy to find as I just bought it a year or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    This link below is basically what you're looking for- an expanded 45s And Under. It has all of the UK version of that album* on it, plus later songs.

https://www.discogs.com/Squeeze-Grea.../master/201390

*I remember being surprised that 'Labelled With Love' wasn't on the US version of 45s And Under. That's one of the songs I used to hear most of theirs on the radio here.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    This link below is basically what you're looking for- an expanded 45s And Under. It has all of the UK version of that album* on it, plus later songs.

https://www.discogs.com/Squeeze-Grea.../master/201390

*I remember being surprised that 'Labelled With Love' wasn't on the US version of 45s And Under. That's one of the songs I used to hear most of theirs on the radio here.
    Yes, that is that one that I have.

I took the plunge last year and went down the rabbit hole. What I found was really satisfying. This coming from a fan of sophisticated pop ala XTC, 10cc, Steely, etc. This scratched a similar "itch".

I think my faves are Argybargy, Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti, Sweets From A Stranger, Eastside Story and Babylon and On.

Glen Tilbrook is an excellent lead guitarist and I think that talent is largely overlooked. I'd love to have him on my show to talk guitar. No luck getting in touch yet though. He's way up my wish list.

They are touring with Hall and Oates this summer, I think I will go.

The Difford and Tilbrook album from the mid 80s is really good too. Basically a Squeeze album. Check out "Loves Crashing Waves".

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Glen Tilbrook is an excellent lead guitarist and I think that talent is largely overlooked. I'd love to have him on my show to talk guitar. No luck getting in touch yet though. He's way up my wish list.

The Difford and Tilbrook album from the mid 80s is really good too. Basically a Squeeze album. Check out "Loves Crashing Waves".
    The one time I saw them (which was a long time ago) I was also surprised at how good a guitarist Tilbrook was. He was better than he is often given credit for.

The show near me this summer is a headline show and not as an opener.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I took the plunge last year and went down the rabbit hole. What I found was really satisfying. This coming from a fan of sophisticated pop ala XTC, 10cc, Steely, etc. This scratched a similar "itch".

I think my faves are Argybargy, Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti, Sweets From A Stranger, Eastside Story and Babylon and On.

Completely agree on your assessment. Always considered Squeeze to have an aura of sophistication not normally associated with standard pop fare. Like XTC in that regard.

Need to dig out 'Cosi' and listen again as it's been many years. Sweets From a Stranger as well.

I listened to their first two albums back at the times. Never liked their particular style of power pop cum pub rock. However their -unusual (for them)- Take Me I'm Yours and Wild Sewerage Tickles Brazil songs, are new wave masterpieces. Had the band taken that direction it would feature amongst my favourites of the era.

On Cool For Cats everything was lost in my opinion.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Saw them open for the Tubes in Boston in 1979 or '80, after the 1st album came out. I liked that album; have it on red vinyl. I think it was the new wave–electronica of "Take Me, I'm Yours" that drew me in. After that I lost interest.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Also check out Tilbrook's solo Transatlantic Ping Pong. One of the most distinctive vocalists in the rock genre.

Love Squeeze, very partial to their later stuff in the 90's.
    Play '91, Some Fantastic Place '93, Ridiculous '96, Domino '98
    their more recent albums Cradle To The Grave '15, The Knowledge '17
    are good return to their classic sound.

i forgot to mention 2010's Spot The Difference,
    they re-recorded 14 of their classic songs.
    they did this because the 45's & Under CD was never remastered-
    because they no longer own the rights to the recordings.
    anyone want 45's, get this instead, the sound is spot on.
    Last edited by BravadoNJ; 06-20-2021 at 10:37 AM.

I need those! ^^

I have owned a few of their 80's albums on cassette tape one a long time ago(Cossi fan tutti in the 80's and babylon and on which I had about maybe 10-15 years ago). Currently I only own the compilation singles 45's and under on cd but was thinking about getting some of their early ones at some point. Good band. The song "cool for cats" in particular always sounded a bit ahead of it's time to me.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

The only album I got was Play, and while I really liked two or three songs from it ("Walk a Straight Line" and "Sunday Street" were the best in my opinion) the album in general didn't grab me to explore any further. Did I accidentally get the weakest one, according to what I'm reading here?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    The only album I got was Play, and while I really liked two or three songs from it ("Walk a Straight Line" and "Sunday Street" were the best in my opinion) the album in general didn't grab me to explore any further. Did I accidentally get the weakest one, according to what I'm reading here?
    Never heard that one, so can't really comment.

I wouldn't leave it at that. Those early ones from the 80s are the best. After that, it gets a little less inspired.

At the end of the 80's they had a very good album called Frank that got lost due to problems at A&M. Play was the next album and from what I remember hearing (some cuts were staples on the new "alternative rock" station in town in the early 90's) it was a step down from Frank.

From their classic era prior to the mid 80's temporary breakup, East Side Story was the peak I think.

Got tickets today to see them in Grand Rapids Michigan in August. Looking forward to it as I have only seen them once before many years ago.