Thread: Rite of Spring [COMPLETE] On Guitars

Rite of Spring [COMPLETE] On Guitars

Someone put a lot of efort in this
    impressive

I like !

Very impressive but aesthetically I crave more tonal variation in the orchestration. Still, kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by stickman393 View Post
    Very impressive but aesthetically I crave more tonal variation in the orchestration. Still, kudos.

Exactly my feelings. Impressive, but unsatisfying.

Even the opening notes, usually played on a bassoon, right at the upper edge of its register, sound strained and edgy. Here played by pure tone on a guitar, lose their original meaning.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Tough crowd. Haven't heard the entire thing but its cool as shit! Me like.

It’s very good. It would be better, IMO, without the pandering metalisms, which are not really part of the composition, but are there so it sounds’modern’.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Jazz-rock version by Takeshi Inomata, 1970:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It’s very good. It would be better, IMO, without the pandering metalisms, which are not really part of the composition, but are there so it sounds’modern’.
    Exactly my thoughts a few minutes in. While I appreciate his intricate arrangement, which must've taken him a while to work out, as well as his near-flawless playing, I personally dislike the electric guitar tones throughout this. It quickly gets very "samey." The acoustic guitars provide some welcome color when they appear, but it's not enough for these ears.

The somebody who did this is Joe Parrish, current guitarist for Jethro Tull, and for his own band Albion.

Generally, I agree with most of you - it's an amazing accomplishment, although it gets a bit monochromatic.

• What if he had played the bassoon intro on harmonics and artificial harmonics, to get that air of difficulty and awkwardness?
    • I don't think he does enough with the bass and drums, which mostly stay in the background.
    • But the "Augurs of Spring" section works, I think, quite well as metal -
      that Chunk-chunk-chunk-chunk, Chunk-chunk-chunk-chunk, Chunk-BLAP-chunk-BLAP, Chunk-chunk-chunk-chunk, Chunk-BLAP-chunk-chunk, BLAP-chunk-chunk-chunk, BLAP-chunk-chunk-chunk,....... translates straight across.

The Science Groups uses Le Sacre where the rythm is used at half speed on the track 'Scale Invarians' on the album 'A mere Coincidence'.

youtube keeps pushing rite of spring videos at me now, lol. This one is interesting, but you have to overlook the silliness of the first few seconds

Larry Coryell also made a version of The Rite of Spring. I didn't buy it, because I thought it was a bit ridicoulus to play such a work on an acoustic guitar. When I saw it I had already bought his version of Firebird and Petrouchka. Not his best.

Quartetski Plays Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring:
    https://youtu.be/EwMNGtjngY4