Thread: Faust 1971-1974 box set

Faust 1971-1974 box set

Dunno if this has been scooped, but coming soon:

https://shop.tapeterecords.com/recor...1971-1974.html

Details:

This box is the first virtually complete collection of FAUST official studio releases from the years 1971-1974. In addition to the debut album, it includes the 1972 album So Far, the legendary 1973 Virgin UK release The Faust Tapes ("Some chose to play frisbee with the LP, others said it changed their lives" as Jean-Hervé Peron noted), Faust IV and, for the first time ever, the mythical, so-called "Munich album" Punkt, which Faust recorded at Giorgio Moroder's Musicland Studios in 1974. For one reason or another, this last album never saw the light of day - until now. The bonus albums Momentaufnahme I and Momentaufnahme II also feature unreleased studio material, simultaneously affording us a fascinating glimpse of Faust's creativity in their Wümme studio phase.

Two 7-inch singles round off the Faust 1971-1974 compendium: Lieber Herr Deutschland is the demo recording they sent to Polydor in 1971, remarkably triggering a contract offer from the label who had something of a conservative reputation at the time. The B-side of the vinyl single is a song called Baby, which the aforementioned label rejected to release after they signed the band. The second 7-inch single in the box is a rerelease of So Far, the only officially released FAUST single, originally issued in 1972.

Release: 8 October 2021

7-LP Boxset + 2 Singles (ldt. to 2000 copies)

8-CD Boxset (ltd. to 1000 copies)

LP1 / CD1 Faust

LP2 / CD2 So Far

LP3 / CD3 The Faust Tapes

LP4 / CD4 Faust IV

LP5 / CD5 Punkt

LP6 / CD6 Momentaufnahme I

LP7 / CD7 Momentaufnahme II

Single 1

1) Lieber Herr Deutschland
    2) Baby

Single 2

1) So Far (Single Version)
    2) It's A Bit Of A Pain

Pre-ordered like a shot.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 06-16-2021 at 06:54 AM.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

An interesting release, although unfortunately it offers many of the albums I already have. The two Momentaufnahme CDs look promising, but I wonder if Punkt hasn't already been covered by the ReR release "71 Minutes" (which has four tracks, totalling about 30 minutes, that were recorded at Arabella in Munich). "71 Minutes" also has (presumably) 41 minutes of material from the "The Last LP". Also, the description of the boxset says there are eight CDs on offer, but only seven are listed. I wonder what the eighth one contains. Very Faustian.
    Hit that long lunar note and let it float

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    I wonder if Punkt hasn't already been covered by the ReR release "71 Minutes" (which has four tracks, totalling about 30 minutes, that were recorded at Arabella in Munich). "71 Minutes" also has (presumably) 41 minutes of material from the "The Last LP".
    Can't say for sure without a track listing for the Bureau B release, but I believe the 71 Minutes material was recorded at Wümme 1971-3, whilst Punkt is said to have been recorded at Moroder's studio in '74. Also possible of course that there is duplication of 71 Minutes material on the Momentaufnahme discs. They say it's unreleased material, but...

Bandcamp Profile

I want to know if the vinyl version will replicate the original packaging of the first two albums.

I hope they put Punkt and the Momentaufnahme discs out on their at some point. I've got all the first four albums already. I have the first two on LP's (reissues from the late 70's, alas), The Faust Tapes on a stand alone CD (I believe, one of the very first things I ever ordered from Wayside Music), Faust IV as a stand alone CD (the first Faust album I actually owned), and I also have the Wumme Years set.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I hope they put Punkt and the Momentaufnahme discs out on their at some point. I've got all the first four albums already. I have the first two on LP's (reissues from the late 70's, alas), The Faust Tapes on a stand alone CD (I believe, one of the very first things I ever ordered from Wayside Music), Faust IV as a stand alone CD (the first Faust album I actually owned), and I also have the Wumme Years set.
    Have to agree here. I would be tempted if I can find it cheap enough, as I'm certainly very interested in these 'new' albums, but don't really have the money to buy the other four albums for a second time.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Hm. I've got the classic first four on vinyl, plus a signed copy of Faust '71 on CD and some of their more recent offerings from the past 20+ years or so. I can hardly chew over more Faust than this already.

But what an immaculately vital enterprise they were. Even a record like Ravvivando from 1999 appears completely contemporary in both artistic spirit and approach.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think I'll pass

Got everything I need from the 70's Faust
    (maybe not so for their later era)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm not a fan of boxsets that include the studio albums unless its EVERYTHING they did - that includes every tape and scrap. Tired of paying money for stuff I have - and have bought a few times already.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

So, now I've got the set. Very initial impressions based on one spin of everything:

- Clamshell box with two fat booklets, one has original album art etc and one has photos and brief reminiscences from band members and associates. CDs in thin card sleeves.

- The four original albums have been remastered by Amaury Cambuzat, sometime band-member. They seem very loud and I think are compressed. I don't have other CDs for A/B comparison (for me this was to replace old cassette tapes and poor condition vinyl). I have a feeling these remasters are not going to win many friends.

- The Punkt album is really good. And sounds better than the remasters of the original albums. I think there are two tracks that have seen previous release.

- The additional two CDs of unreleased material all seems to be stuff that has not been released before and it's generally good stuff, that fans will want to have.

So it looks like a mixed bag. It's to be hoped that the Punkt and Momentaufnahme material gets individual releases.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 6 Days Ago at 02:41 PM. Reason: “Punk album”, not exactly. Thanks autocorrect!

Bandcamp Profile

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    So, now I've got the set. Very initial impressions based on one spin of everything:

- Clamshell box with two fat booklets, one has original album art etc and one has photos and brief reminiscences from band members and associates. CDs in thin card sleeves.

- The four original albums have been remastered by Amaury Cambuzat, sometime band-member. They seem very loud and I think are compressed. I don't have other CDs for A/B comparison (for me this was to replace old cassette tapes and poor condition vinyl). I have a feeling these remasters are not going to win many friends.

- The Punkt album is really good. And sounds better than the remasters of the original albums. I think there are two tracks that have seen previous release.

- The additional two CDs of unreleased material all seems to be stuff that has not been released before and it's generally good stuff, that fans will want to have.

So it looks like a mixed bag. It's to be hoped that the Punkt and Momentaufnahme material gets individual releases.
    I was afraid you were going to say that.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Just bought hard copies the first four albums individually last year... Wish I'd waited a bit. I don't know if I'm that pumped about the extras but it would be nice to save the shelf space.