Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Alex Lifeson tracks

New Alex Lifeson tracks

Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Gah! I see the trax but they won't play (at least on my computer)
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Andy Curran is on bass. My first listen reviews... Shades of Victor. They're both quite nice, but don't really go anywhere?

Henry

"Kabul Blues" is pretty groovy, I like the atmosphere.

I'd love for Alex to do a Victor II - that was a very underrated album, IMO

I like! Alex should just do another six or eight of these. Make it an instrumental album.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    I'd love for Alex to do a Victor II - that was a very underrated album, IMO
    Great album. Best Rush spin-off album by far. Better than anything Rush did after Presto.

Henry

Sounds like soundtrack material.

Not sure what he's thinking with an unsecure site.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I really liked both tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Great album. Best Rush spin-off album by far. Better than anything Rush did after Presto.

Henry
    Holy cow, are WE in agree-to-disagree territory. I thought it was horrible apart from "Promise." Are you really telling me "Shut Up Shuttin' Up" and the title track are better than anything from "Counterparts?"
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Holy cow, are WE in agree-to-disagree territory. I thought it was horrible apart from "Promise." Are you really telling me "Shut Up Shuttin' Up" and the title track are better than anything from "Counterparts?"
    I'm gonna respectfully agree with Henry on this one. Victor was a cool fresh sound to my ears.

The whole vibe of that record is just so bizarre. The fact that it comes from the mind from the generally happy-go-lucky Lifeson makes it even more creepy. When I listen to it all the way through I feel like I've experienced something unique afterwards.

Contrast that with Geddy's solo album, which just sounds like another late period Rush album to me. It was fine, but I didn't see the point in it.

Wow. Pretty cool. Maybe a new solo album will be in the works soon. I knew he took a long break after Rush dissolved and after Neil passed away so it's nice to see him finally recording again.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

Henry
    The original Victor? Better than My favorite Headache? I have heard bits of Victor and it didn't impress me much. It sounded very much of it's time. I might have to listen again though.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

The whole vibe of that record is just so bizarre. The fact that it comes from the mind from the generally happy-go-lucky Lifeson makes it even more creepy. When I listen to it all the way through I feel like I've experienced something unique afterwards.
    The funny thing is you can say that entire paragraph in a hesitant tone and mean it in not a GOOD way.

I don't agree that Victor surpasses post-Presto Rush (especially Counterparts) but I do think it's a good album and it got a lot of play time with me (I love Shut Up Shuttin' Up). Geddy Lee's MFH not so much - it wasn't very memorable to my ears.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

TESTING TESTING

Kabul Blues: Hmm, this is interesting, kind of Gilmourish...OH FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY WHY DID YOU ADD VOCALS.

Spy House: Hmm, reminds me of mid-2000s Satch when he was experimenting with guitar sounds...VOCALS AGAIN...oh well, this time it's not too bad.

So... I'd probably buy this easily provided it was mostly instrumental. I think Lifeson has come to a point where he likes goofing around (if anything, "Victor" proved that to me) so I have a feeling eight or nine more of these will be a serious mixed bag.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Alex has said many times recently that he's been enjoying exploring the sounds and atmospheres he can create with the guitar. These two tracks certainly reflect that.
    Chad

LOVE them both!
    For starters, so happy he's come out of hibernation to start doing some new work.
    And So happy it doesn't sound like anything Rush would ever do. I think Victor is incredibly successful in that regard. AND I love that album!
    I hope there's a whole album full of this in our future.

These don't do much for me but I would definitely check out a potential new album.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It sounds fine. Nothing stand out but okay. Nice to hear Alex's guitar playing though. Not sure if I'd buy an album. With Geddy and a drummer, definitely.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Interesting. Glad to see he's doing some music again. Kabul Blues had shades of Pink Floyd/David Gilmour in it IMO. Nothing earth shattering here, but just glad for something new.

I like these new tracks. I would buy a whole album of this kind of stuff. I've checked out Victor tracks online, and none of it really grabbed me for whatever reason. I do really like MFH and would put that above any 90s Rush album.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Always happy to agree to disagree. I had to look up the Wikipedia entry of Counterparts as I couldn't remember a single song on it. Picking through my memory... some nice lyrics, but some of Rush's most boring music ever.

I'm gonna respectfully agree with Henry on this one. Victor was a cool fresh sound to my ears.

Contrast that with Geddy's solo album, which just sounds like another late period Rush album to me. It was fine, but I didn't see the point in it.
    Agreed completely.

Henry

Always happy to agree to disagree. I had to look up the Wikipedia entry of Counterparts as I couldn't remember a single song on it. Picking through my memory... some nice lyrics, but some of Rush's most boring music ever.
    I liked Counterparts when it came out, marking a more definite departure from their 80's New Romantics/Duran Duran/Single coil era - moving further forward to more (for the time) modern guitar driven arrangements. The album has some classic riffs - and again a playful instrumental track.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I happen to enjoy Victor and Counterparts almost equally.

Part of what I enjoy on Victor is Edwin's vocals.

That remark makes me wonder if you really listened to the album.