Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: STEVE HACKETT: Surrender Of Silence released September 10

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    true this is.

I think Steve has always held back saying negative stuff about band members, etc, at least in the interviews I've seen and read.
    I like to think of him as the Gentleman's Elder of Classic Progressive Rock.
    I think he learned and matured. I heard he was dissing them and threatening lawsuits after he left. There’s an interview from Phil in early 80s saying he went to a hackett gig once, and steve wouldn’t let him back stage to hang out.

I’m sure he regrets that now.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

And here's a companion review of the new album, bro! Nice to see where we intersect and diverge.

For those of you who were turned off by "Wingbeats" as the first single...don't worry. Second single "Fox's Tango" is much more at the heart of where this album is coming from. Overall, it's an scorching album of guitar licks and a harder-hitting edge from the ever-youthful Hackett. Enjoy!

Here's the full overview:
    https://www.sonicperspectives.com/al...der-of-silence

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Lorne, this makes me look forward to the album! I love "Nomads" too; I'm glad you called out that song.
    Scott, I'll get to yours soon!
    The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long day’s toil.

Third song released.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Third song released.

What a terrible choice. Out of the three singles released, two of them are my least favorite tracks on the album. I think he'd have more success exciting the fanbase with the tracks that are in his sweet spot, like Fox's Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    What a terrible choice. Out of the three singles released, two of them are my least favorite tracks on the album. I think he'd have more success exciting the fanbase with the tracks that are in his sweet spot, like Fox's Tango.
    I must say, although I like Natalia well enough, he really is holding back all the best material from this album. Which is a bonus for those who are buying it anyway, but as you say could put off those who may be on the fence.

Natalia, that's definitely something out of left field for him.
    it's an incredile piece, but couldn't he get Annie Haslam to sing it?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Natalia, that's definitely something out of left field for him.
    it's an incredile piece, but couldn't he get Annie Haslam to sing it?
    I like Steve's vocals but I tire of Roger King's production of them. I think he sings well on this song and the whole album. It's just that positioning Natalia as the second track distracts a solid flow for the album in my experience. And there's many, many better tracks to pick as a single.

On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Haven’t seen any opinions of the album here aside from Lorne’s review. It’s more varied than the last few albums, which is good.
    The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long day’s toil.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Haven’t seen any opinions of the album here aside from Lorne’s review. It’s more varied than the last few albums, which is good.
    Gave it a first spin last night......Big SH fan but the first listen was meh.....YMMV IMHO, etc.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I did not like this one at all.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Love it. I think I posted my review earlier on here, too. Between this and his classical album in January, it's been a fantastic year for Mr. Hackett. And now he's out touring, competing ( ) with his old band and holding his own!

Thus far, just one spin, I really enjoy it. I was impressed. I think the songs, playing and performances are among some of Steve's strongest.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wow, you really like the “travelogue” songs. I was just bemused that there are one or two on every album.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Wow, you really like the “travelogue” songs. I was just bemused that there are one or two on every album.
    I'm convinced Steve includes them on his albums so that he can write off all of his travel expenses!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'm convinced Steve includes them on his albums so that he can write off all of his travel expenses!
    , that's a good one, but probably unlikely.
    I don't think the UK taxcode is as forgiving as it is here in the States.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

All I want to know is, does he do yet ANOTHER "Kashmir" knockoff?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Lol! There's always at least one.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Lorne, this makes me look forward to the album! I love "Nomads" too; I'm glad you called out that song.
    Scott, I'll get to yours soon!
    Nomads is an amazing tune. I think one of the best Steve has done since the 70's. I have this on a playlist I use when we have parties and it never fails to inspire "who is this" inquiries. I also have a single disc of music I give to folks when trying to expose them to new music... it is on that as well. It's a shame I don't think he has played it live... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    the second half of "Shanghai to Samarkand" (starting at 4:22 mark)

At this point a Cured/Highly Strung/Til We Have Faces sort of album would feel like a breath of fresh air
    This new one is not bad, but pretty much everything feels like they could have been bonus tracks on any of the last four or five albums. The long instrumental track has some good moments, but suffers from having a meandering ABCDEFG song structure instead of something like an ABACAB schema.
    Over time I may come to appreciate it more...but at the moment there's very little enthusiasm on revisiting it again real soon (it's been at least two weeks since I listened to it).
    --Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    At this point a Cured/Highly Strung/Til We Have Faces sort of album would feel like a breath of fresh air
    This new one is not bad, but pretty much everything feels like they could have been bonus tracks on any of the last four or five albums. The long instrumental track has some good moments, but suffers from having a meandering ABCDEFG song structure instead of something like an ABACAB schema.
    Over time I may come to appreciate it more...but at the moment there's very little enthusiasm on revisiting it again real soon (it's been at least two weeks since I listened to it).
    --Peter
    I could have written this.

I've been a huge fan of Hackett's solo career since 1979 and have faithfully anticipated and bought each new album as soon as it was released. As for the last few, it's been getting rather too predictable, and for me at least, I'm not finding any lasting enjoyment in his more recent endeavors. The same holds true for the new release. Surrender of Silence is, as per usual for any work by Steve Hackett, at very least a pleasant listen replete with the inarguably great guitar work we've come to expect by now, but there's really nothing on here that I haven't heard before... and numerous times before at that. The song with the Middle Eastern-sounding strings, the Kashmir wannabe song, the tragic story, the upbeat major-key anthem, the pseudo scary song, etc. It's a formula that he has seen fit to repeat for the past four or so releases.

I've given this one three spins to date. Honestly, I don't really feel like re-visiting it again for a while - just like the last one... and the one before that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    The song with the Middle Eastern-sounding strings, the Kashmir wannabe song, the tragic story, the upbeat major-key anthem, the pseudo scary song, etc. It's a formula that he has seen fit to repeat for the past four or so releases.
    Farther than that. IMO 1993's Guitar Noir was the template for most of his solo albums since.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.