Thread: Danny Elfman - Big Mess

Danny Elfman - Big Mess

So, Danny Elfman went and released a solo album, Big Mess. I've spun it a few times and am thoroughly impressed. Like Elfman's film scores, the music is quirky and complex, deep and distorted, pointed and acerbic, and hypnotizing. Symphony plus rock band, plus synth's, and the kitchen sink combine to spew forth the sounds of SGM, King Crimson, Oingo Boingo, Kate Bush, and so much more.

Each song is a masterpiece deserving multiple listens and introspection.

Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Am still waiting for the vinyl preorder to arrive, how did you get it so fast?

On streaming already and yoo toob.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I got it on Friday along with the Mammoth WVH album. Mammoth has been monopolizing my listening, but I'm lookin very forward to digesting the Danny Elfman album.
    Chad

The guy is a freak...so bloody talented!

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Am still waiting for the vinyl preorder to arrive, how did you get it so fast?
    Streaming and youtube. It doesn't appear to be available in physical media yet.

https://dannyelfman.bandcamp.com/album/big-mess

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    It doesn't appear to be available in physical media yet.
    I bought the CD yesterday, so it is. Haven't listened to it enough to form a postable opinion yet.

Holy Crap! love Danny, but after sampling the first 3 songs I called 411 for an immediate mind flush.
    There's some very very dark things going on here, and thankfully Danny has always been able to channel these into a positive thing through expressing them in music or he could put The Silence of the Lambs to shame in real life.Only thing missing on the cover is Danny dressed in a 3 piece suit made out of skin. lol

But personally, I'm out!!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Holy Crap! love Danny, but after sampling the first 3 songs I called 411 for an immediate mind flush.
    There's some very very dark things going on here, and thankfully Danny has always been able to channel these into a positive thing through expressing them in music or he could put The Silence of the Lambs to shame in real life.Only thing missing on the cover is Danny dressed in a 3 piece suit made out of skin. lol

But personally, I'm out!!
    I implore you to delve deeper than 3 songs. There are 18 tracks and many of the "happier" ones are later in the disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I bought the CD yesterday, so it is. Haven't listened to it enough to form a postable opinion yet.
    You lucky duck John. Where did you purchase?

Found the link on Danny's site. Bandcamp only had streaming but his store has CD and shirts and expensive collector bundles.

https://dannyelfmanbigmess.com/

You lucky duck John. Where did you purchase?
    Music Millennium, on Saturday. It was their last copy in the bin, which surprised me. Where you live, try Amoeba or Rasputin's.

I've had the CD (plus shirt as I can't pass up Merch) for a week and many spins. I'm rather enjoying it. So hard to pin down to one or two or even three styles/genres, but if forced I'd say some Talking Heads, SGM for sure, Barry Adamson (circa Soul Murder), of course Elfman's film score, specifically orchestration and vocal arrangements, The Doors, and more. The music is truly unique and entrancing, plus thematically deep.

I hope he tours this. Variety Article indicates he has been approached about it.

Good writing, which quite often still sounds like Oingo Boingo, but improved and deepened by the decades Danny spent scoring films. And those string arrangements: complex, aggressive, as important as the guitars, and intended not as "sweetener", but as an integral part of the album's sound; not many "footballs" for the string players here, folks. Danny's voice has grown into considerable versatility, as well, and occasionally resembles that of Nils from SGM. His lyrics range from in-your-face political commentary - sincere, if often heavy-handed - to philosophical musings. Finally, the band of LA session regulars are excellent, hardly a surprise considering who Danny must have in his Rolodex.

The main negative comment I'd make concerns the sound of the album, which tends to be harsh. Lots of distortion on the guitars and often on Danny's voice, which overloads an already dense sonic spectrum and tends to bulldoze over the strings. And I think it may be a bit over-mastered, maybe even to the point of brick-wall limiting.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    The main negative comment I'd make concerns the sound of the album, which tends to be harsh. Lots of distortion on the guitars and often on Danny's voice, which overloads an already dense sonic spectrum and tends to bulldoze over the strings. And I think it may be a bit over-mastered, maybe even to the point of brick-wall limiting.
    Yes, album is little bit disappointing production-wise.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Yes, album is little bit disappointing production-wise.
    Wondering why ....
    He has the means to
    Hire the best of the best right?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Wondering why ....
    He has the means to
    I don't necessarily agree the production is bad, but rather a choice. I'm actually fine with it, but then I'm not one of discerning and distinctive tastes.

Wondering why ....
    He has the means to
    I'd agree with Eric: Danny wanted it that way. And it's certainly powerful-sounding - it's just a little short on clarity.

Wondering why ....
    He has the means to
    It tends to be a conscious choice. The modal environment for music consumption today is rich in background noise - people listen in cars or wear earbuds while commuting or in office environments. Limiting the dynamic range prevents the less bombastic parts from getting lost in the background noise. This of course means it sounds ugly to those of us who prefer to listen to music in a controlled environment, but unfortunately we're in the minority and there doesn't seem to be commercial impetus to address us as a separate market segment. Fortunately there continue to be artists and engineers who prefer to maintain dynamic range in their recordings, even if that is to the detriment of people who listen in noisy surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    It tends to be a conscious choice. The modal environment for music consumption today is rich in background noise - people listen in cars or wear earbuds while commuting or in office environments. Limiting the dynamic range prevents the less bombastic parts from getting lost in the background noise. This of course means it sounds ugly to those of us who prefer to listen to music in a controlled environment, but unfortunately we're in the minority and there doesn't seem to be commercial impetus to address us as a separate market segment. Fortunately there continue to be artists and engineers who prefer to maintain dynamic range in their recordings, even if that is to the detriment of people who listen in noisy surroundings.
    Wait a minute, not everyone listens with headphones in a darkened room with eyes shut?

Wait a minute, not everyone listens with headphones in a darkened room with eyes shut?
    You forgot stoned ...yes!