Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gentle Giant talk Free Hand reissue

Gentle Giant talk Free Hand reissue

Great video!

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Nice. Thanks for posting.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Nice to hear from our own Mike Keneally (are we allowed to call him 'our own'? I vote yes.) as well!

And you'll note Derek is pleased to announce the Civilian reissue coming later this year, while (according to him) Ray will be less enthused.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Whoa, there’s a Civilian reissue? I’d like to hear that!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Whoa, there’s a Civilian reissue? I’d like to hear that!
    I don't know what it will include, apart from the obvious bonus track Heroes No More. Perhaps a live show from that era?

Mike has the right idea about listening to this stuff with headphones. I did that with Three Piece Suite. The tunes from Acquiring The Taste sound especially good.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I don't know what it will include, apart from the obvious bonus track Heroes No More. Perhaps a live show from that era?
    Very cool. I don’t have any version of Civilian, so I’d be down for a reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Very cool. I don’t have any version of Civilian, so I’d be down for a reissue.
    I have the '97 CD with the bonus track and that's likely good enough for me, unless they surprise us with some cool extras. I know it's been out of print for a long time though, unless you want to buy that two-fer with Playing The Fool (an odd pairing IMO).

just pre-ordered FH on Amazon.. wanted to get in on it before i missed out like i did with all the Yes remixes..

also just received the Wilson Power & Glory remix the other day after waiting like a month for the thing. it had to be sent over from England cos apparently that was the only place it was available. it was $24.88 so not ridiculously expensive.
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 06-14-2021 at 07:26 PM.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Nice to hear from our own Mike Keneally (are we allowed to call him 'our own'? I vote yes.) as well!

And you'll note Derek is pleased to announce the Civilian reissue coming later this year, while (according to him) Ray will be less enthused.
    Finally I can finish my GG collection without spending crazy money or getting it on a two fer cd.

Just heard the 5.1 LPCM mix……just INCREDIBLE! Once again, SW does an amazing job! I really love 5.1 mixes. Best sound for all music, IMO. SO GLAD TO HAVE THIS!!!
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Just heard the 5.1 LPCM mix……just INCREDIBLE! Once again, SW does an amazing job! I really love 5.1 mixes. Best sound for all music, IMO. SO GLAD TO HAVE THIS!!!
    I bought it, but have been recording all weekend. I look forward to that and listening to the quad mix, because I want to hear how a quad mix sounds on a 5.1 system. If it's good, I may get the Doobie brothers set

I am not a completist of GG but Freehand is my fave.

I absolutely love this 5.1 mix! Probably one of Wilson's beat, if not one of the heat I have heard.
    I also like the quad mix too.
    Gonna buy the Doobie Brothers quadio box on Thursday

I wouldn't mind hearing a live show from that era, actually. They always *kill* live - all material is excellent. I still have bumps from hearing "Betcha Thought..." on tour before the album came out. Just whoa.... monstrously good.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

What really makes me thrilled is to finally get Civilian on one stand alone cd. I only have that odd twoofer companied with Playing the Fool. How nice to see the guys again

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    I still have bumps from hearing "Betcha Thought..." on tour before the album came out. Just whoa.... monstrously good.
    Oh, so you're the other person who likes that song. When I saw them that year they did all of what would become side two of the album, but no "Betcha."
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY steadfastly available! NOW ALSO ON VINYL!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

am i the first one to get FH? after Amazon changed the date thrice (7/8-16 then this past Tues 29 then back to 7/8-16 then gets delivered today). haven't played it yet but it has the SW remix on the CD, and a Blu-ray that contains video of the 7 songs, various remixes and the original 75 CD mix. there's no liner notes to speak of (other than the lyrics) and there are absolutely zero pictures of the band.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    am i the first one to get FH? after Amazon changed the date thrice (7/8-16 then this past Tues 29 then back to 7/8-16 then gets delivered today). haven't played it yet but it has the SW remix on the CD, and a Blu-ray that contains video of the 7 songs, various remixes and the original 75 CD mix. there's no liner notes to speak of (other than the lyrics) and there are absolutely zero pictures of the band.
    I used another source than Amazon and got my copy of Free Hand on Sat. 6/26. I'm enjoying the 5.1 mix of the album on Blu-Ray and IMHO, it blows every other version of the album out of the water. Other than the lack of liner notes (or pictures of the band), I love this set!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Oh, so you're the other person who likes that song. When I saw them that year they did all of what would become side two of the album, but no "Betcha."
    I actually like most of that album, including "Betcha Thought..."

I suppose now I have to turn in my Prog card.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Not a big fan of these "reaction videos", but watching this composer's first exposure to GG is pretty entertaining.

No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Not a big fan of these "reaction videos", but watching this composer's first exposure to GG is pretty entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post

Out of all the reaction videos, his are probably the least cringeworthy. At least he does have knowledge.

But at the same time this stuff is been around for 40 plus years, where has he been living in a cave? you cannot know this much about music and have this little knowledge about band and musicians at the same time.
    I find it it highly suspect

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    But at the same time this stuff is been around for 40 plus years, where has he been living in a cave? you cannot know this much about music and have this little knowledge about band and musicians at the same time.
    I find it it highly suspect
    It absolutely is, as they all are. Anyone looking for a natural reaction to these bands is not going to find them from someone who films themselves doing it. It's about as genuine as 'reality' TV.