Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
I think the burden is on those who think that they are. I don't have to prove that something doesn't exist. [...] *Dismissing* their music for lack of innovation and originality misses the point as much as those who really like the music insisting that it must. BBT isn't there to be original or innovative, but to deliver a very recognizable product to a very specific audience. I think they succeed at it. The albums of theirs that I've heard are derivative without being outright imitative.
THANK YOU - and very well put! And this goes for other "mainstream" modern 'prog' bands that I like, such as Echolyn, Discipline, Thieves' Kitchen etc. All great groups, but their actual mandate isn't to be progressive-to-the-contemporary in the sense that many a classic 70s or "avant-garde" artist was/is; it's all about a specific craft.

And if one loves Moondog, Shaggs, Beefheart, Mayo Thompson, Keiji Haino and Artis the Spoonman for their originality (alt. idiosyncracy) and i.e. innovation - then BBT are not that.

But are there any truly innovative progressive rock acts operating out there today? Yes, I think so. But they're mostly not acknowledged as belonging to the great ilk.