Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Big Big Train the Greatest Band ever ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rael View Post
    Yes it is, however the correct answer is, yes.
    Yes is never the correct answer to any question involving a "greatest band."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Big Big Train is like a stream of bat's piss.

They shine out like a shaft of gold where all around is dark.
    Boooo (but I laughed anyways)

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Well done sir, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by ribors View Post
    Two wrongs don't equal a right.
    I am putting on my black-jeweled battle shorts as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    In a word NO !

Cant help thinking this thread is a bit of a wind up and I just fell for it
    That's outrageous....and thanks for playing.

This could be the greatest zinger in prog rock forum history.

I've bought every BBT release on the back of the positivity on PE but have never been 'blown away ' by anything ! They're not bad but find their sound too mellow & plodding ! I shall buy they're new album & see if it surprises me but am expecting the ' same old , same old '.

now *that* is profound...

and true

but then what *is* the answer???

The Sex Pistols
    they still tour dont they?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

'Greatest band ever' is hyperbolic language. I'd put it another way. On the evidence of their current career, they might end up with a better discography than Genesis.

That's a big enough compliment, in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    They're not bad but find their sound too mellow & plodding !
    That's the feeling I got when I listened to a handful of tracks from EEP2. The vocals are reminiscent of early Genesis, but I could not find any resemblance to Camel as Mr Rael implied on the opening post. Not impressed and does not even break the top 20 greatest bands ever.

Oh what the heck, I'll play. Yes, Big Big Train is the best band ever because they are a true paradox. They are a band in a musical genre known for its trite/fantasy-based/self-indulgent lyrics and masterbatory/showmanship/self-indulgent instrumentation -- and yet they write the deepest, most realistic, and beautifully-direct lyrics and play in the most economical yet complex style, always serving the song -- and never more. Discovering them was true serendipity (one my favorite words, obviously).

To answer another question from the OP: they aren't a working live band right now but they fully intend to return to that form. The intention is first to do a big gig in the UK involving as much as possible all the musicians involved in the making of the last few albums amd record that for dvd.

Maybe the reason so many think that they are the greatest is because they stand out in what is a very dire period for UK music.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Oh what the heck, I'll play. Yes, Big Big Train is the best band ever because they are a true paradox. They are a band in a musical genre known for its trite/fantasy-based/self-indulgent lyrics and masterbatory/showmanship/self-indulgent instrumentation -- and yet they write the deepest, most realistic, and beautifully-direct lyrics and play in the most economical yet complex style, always serving the song -- and never more. Discovering them was true serendipity (one my favorite words, obviously).
    That is the correct answer. And well stated. I particularly liked "they write the deepest, most realistic, and beautifully-direct lyrics and play in the most economical yet complex style, always serving the song " I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    To answer another question from the OP: they aren't a working live band right now but they fully intend to return to that form. The intention is first to do a big gig in the UK involving as much as possible all the musicians involved in the making of the last few albums amd record that for dvd.
    Wow, that's really great news. How did you come by it ? It doesn't matter, just curious. I probably don't need to say it, but I hope they have some nice HD cameras on hand to record it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Maybe the reason so many think that they are the greatest is because they stand out in what is a very dire period for UK music.
    Do you mean UK "prog" music, or UK popular, big label, top 40 whatever music? Because if you mean the latter, it's been dire for decades IMO (as has the US version), but if you mean UK "prog," IMO there's a lot of good stuff about. So far I *do* think BBT stands out as being very, very good at it. I see them being likened to bands such as Frost, but Frost did nothing for me. BBT is good enough that I could imagine non-prog fans being pulled in to their music, much as with music like post-Gabriel Genesis and post-Genesis Gabriel, or Kate Bush. IMO there's no aspect of their work that's sub-par, and often even with really good bands, like a Gazpacho for instance, one aspect might suffer a bit (I like Gazpacho but am not crazy about the vocals). I just think BBT has all the bases covered, so they've got a great batting average. Here's hoping it continues for a long time... (And I haven't even listened to EE2 yet!)

They need more cowbell...
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTed View Post
    They need more cowbell...
    I knew it needed something...

(And I haven't even listened to EE2 yet!)
    You'll like it.

the best no but best new band in past 2-3 years i known of them definately

Do you mean UK "prog" music, or UK popular, big label, top 40 whatever music?
    Your right, I was too quick with a blanket statement.

I have enjoyed listening to music since the early 60's and I guess I was spoilt by that decade and the 70's.

What I enjoy UK wise nowadays are the likes of PT/SW, Anathema, Syd Arthur and a lot of the Kscope bands. Europe is fairly strong with the likes of Gazpacho and Riverside.

BBT are at best nice but for me thats about it. Songs about the industrial revolution by people in the south of England just dont do it. I have tried hard to find positives in bands like Frost, even going to see them and others live, but they were all fairly dire...............to me at least.

Syd Arthur
    Now that's a damn fine band right there.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Now that's a damn fine band right there.
    Never heard (of) them but it's an outstanding name, at least.

Check out their single on YT.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I can name (at least) twenty prog bands who're more creative than BBT. The British outfit is good but not great - in any sense.