Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020 tournament

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    After making the semi's you want the manager sacked? OK, then.......
    They had an easy run, equivalent to Man City playing Championship sides to the run up to the semi finals of the FA Cup. Come up against only a half decent side like Croatia and Southgate was way out of his depth. I'm English and want them to do well but dont wear Rose Tinted Glasses! Southgate just fits the FA's criteria of being a yes man! He hasn't a clue !

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Come up with a reasonable alternative who would take the job.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    They had an easy run, equivalent to Man City playing Championship sides to the run up to the semi finals of the FA Cup. Come up against only a half decent side like Croatia and Southgate was way out of his depth. I'm English and want them to do well but dont wear Rose Tinted Glasses! Southgate just fits the FA's criteria of being a yes man! He hasn't a clue !
    I think you are being too tough on England. They played well in the first 20 minutes of the game on Sunday, then let things slip a bit, then scored, then sat on their lead a bit (a very common trend in English football) and finally finished reasonably well. Croatia were no walk-over side either; they were in the final of the World Cup in 2018, remember. The players on the field on Sunday looked pretty accomplished (IMO) and there is far more depth in this team than there has been for many a decade.

As for managers. Perhaps too much emphasis is placed on the manager. England have tried every type of manager over the last 40 years or so; from the continental style of Sven-Goran Eriksson and Fabio Capello to former international and domestic stars like Glen Hoddle, and the down-to-earth Roy Hodgson and none of them has had much success. Books have been written on why England underperform and books will continue to be written. I suspect this team will do quite well in the competition, although winning it is unlikely. And, when all is said and done, who really cares? Just as long as there is some good football played.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

I did not expect much from the Netherlands (and I still dont) but a deserved win and a highly entertaining match. More entertaining then it should have been really.

Come up with a reasonable alternative who would take the job.
    That's the problem! At least he's English of which the manager of any national team should be IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    That's the problem! At least he's English of which the manager of any national team should be IMO
    That's been the crux of the issue for years. It's a dreadful job in terms of dealing with the press, limited access to players, teams rightly prioritizing their needs, and he gets paid less than 2/3 of the EPL managers.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The eons are closing
    Its the jersey. No matter your skill, once the jersey is donned, failure is your destiny, even when you succeed; because it won't be good enough.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Wow, Scotland played quite well and made chances but got beaten by two good goals. The keeper should never get beaten from halfway but I guess that's the modern style of sweeper-keeper. Czech keeper made a few great saves.
    Ian

Wow, Scotland played quite well and made chances but got beaten by two good goals. The keeper should never get beaten from halfway but I guess that's the modern style of sweeper-keeper. Czech keeper made a few great saves.
    Yep. The teams look well matched, Scotland didn't take as many chances, and then paid for some mistakes. Quite encouraging really, even with a loss.

Anyone watching Copa America? If you are a futbol fan you should and it's in our NA timezone. Just watched Argentina & Chile play to a 1-1 draw, what an exciting match with the maestro Messi, best game I've seen so far including the Euro..
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I prefer the Euro's but it's purely a personal preference. All the play acting and complaining drives me round the twist in the Copa. I'd book all of them if I was the ref and it would finish 7 v 7.
    Ian

I prefer the Euro's but it's purely a personal preference. All the play acting and complaining drives me round the twist in the Copa. I'd book all of them if I was the ref and it would finish 7 v 7.
    Same....prefer Euros by far. But that's because I'm a Euro wannabe snob.

Only, Marshall does not play sweeper keeper, because Scotland don't play that kind of possession style football. The Scottish press have been harsh on Hendry, whose shot was blocked - sure, the better option would have been to pass, but putting the blame on him reeks of covering up for Marshall. As Schick has subsequently revealed, he had spotted Marshall wandering far off his line in the first half - so he was primed for this when the opportunity presented itself. It was a fabulous strike, & wonderful anticipation - but, seriously, wtf was Marshall doing?

Anyway, after 23 years away, it's braw to see that Scotland haven't lost their big tournament knack for exitstential absurdity.

I thought Scotland played quite well, it would be bloody typical of them to beat England, lose to Croatia and not progress.
    Ian

Mbappe should never be caught offside, he can start 5 yards behind a defender and destroy them.
    Ian

Germany stunk.

Mbappe should never be caught offside, he can start 5 yards behind a defender and destroy them.
    That moment when he accelerated away from Hummels - as Ally McCoist said in commentary, it was like having an actual athlete compete in the dads race on sports day!

Who do you think will be the champion at Euro 2020? I lean towards England, Germany and Portugal. But Croatia and the Czech Republic can still surprise us, I would not underestimate them.

Quote Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
    Who do you think will be the champion at Euro 2020? I lean towards England, Germany and Portugal. But Croatia and the Czech Republic can still surprise us, I would not underestimate them.
    I will put my money on France winning the tournament, not because they are holders of the World Cup or because they have Mbappe in their side (although these factors also come into play). But because they have N'Golo Kante in their team. He is a phenomenon. He was the powerhouse in the Leicester team that won the Premier League a few years ago (against all the odds), he was in the Chelsea team that won the Champions League earlier this month, and he was in the French team that won the World Cup. If there is one player in the Euros who can influence the tournament's outcome, it would be Kante.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    I will put my money on France winning the tournament, not because they are holders of the World Cup or because they have Mbappe in their side (although these factors also come into play). But because they have N'Golo Kante in their team. He is a phenomenon. He was the powerhouse in the Leicester team that won the Premier League a few years ago (against all the odds), he was in the Chelsea team that won the Champions League earlier this month, and he was in the French team that won the World Cup. If there is one player in the Euros who can influence the tournament's outcome, it would be Kante.
    Kante is like the great Claude Makelele, only even better. He makes room for Pogba to play, whilst also disrupting & breaking up the spaces which opponents' most creative players seek to occupy.

France or Belgium for me. Next level is Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain, England but they all have flaws. Dark horse for me would be Netherlands
    Ian

I am on vacation now and I have only seen Italy -Turkey, Netherlands - Ukraine and France - Germany.

Netherlands wont be champions; we have some very good players but too many weak spots in the team.

Germany really miss a deadly striker in the team. France looked solid but certainly not unbeatable. They did not really impress as a team but they can still grow in the tournament.

Italy had the strongest team performance so far.

I have not seen Belgium play. On paper they have one of the strongest squads with a striker in form. Their defence is getting a bit old though and Hazard and Mertens did not have the best seasons.

My votes go to Italy. A team perhaps without the really big stars but a well oiled fighting machine without weak spots. Their record leading up to the tournament is incredible.

Yes, Italy & France are the two top teams for me, with Belgium a step down (especially without de Bruyne). France looked like they had an extra two or three gears higher to go up to against a (poor) Germany. Italy were impressive in their opening game. Mancini has them playing well as a team.

Why are Wales playing in Australia's Rugby Union strip? - it's most confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Why are Wales playing in Australia's Rugby Union strip? - it's most confusing.
    it's a winning strip!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature