Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Record Store Day 2021

Record Store Day 2021

AKA Mass Pressed Reissue Hype Day. Now twice the fun - June 12 and July 17. Anybody tracking anything they feel is worth mingling with the crowds for?

I'm probably going to look for the Brainiac releases, the Electric Wizard, the Flaming Lips, the Negative Space, the Opeth and the Orange Goblin. Looks like the Tangerine Dream live album is a picture disc which isn't a thing I'm into. Inevitably I'll end up buying more of the ones I'm interested in by mail order after the day.

In July, I have an interest in the Hawkwind - Greasy Truckers full set and the John Martyn covers album reissue, the original of which is unobtainium on vinyl.

Record Store Day should be joyous but people have largely ruined it. From the huge crowds to the record flippers, it sucks a lot of the joy out of it for me. Also, my local record store has implemented a two-hour early admission for people who applied for a "raffle" for a time slot. This was advertised only on the store's Instagram, which I don't follow particularly closely (although I do follow them on that platform). So I will not likely get any, or most, of the five titles I want, although I will check in after my home brewing class just on the off chance that they're not all snatched up.
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

mine and my wife's wishlist (although we may not buy even half of these)

June 12th
    ELP - Tarkus 3,500 copies
    Ihsahn - After 2,500 copies
    King's X - Tape Head 2,000 copies
    King's X - Please Come Home Mr. Bulbous 2,000 copies
    Kenny Loggins - At the Movies 21,000 copies
    Opeth - Morningrise 3,500 copies
    Robert Palmer - Sneaking Sally Through the Alley 2,500 Copies
    Prince - The Truth 13,000 copies
    Ultravox - Vienna (Steven Wilson Remix) 2,500 and 1,500 copies..unsure what the difference is
    Warpaint - The Fool (Andrew Weatherall Remixes) 2,500 copies
    Vast - Music for People 2,000 copies

July 17th
    Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunnhillow 1,200 copies
    Hall & Oates - Voices 3,000 copies
    Mayer Hawthorne - Impressions 1,000 copies
    King's X - Manic Moonlight 2,000 copies
    The Monkees - Missing Links Vol. 1 2,000 copies
    The Monkees - Missing Links Vol. 2 2,000 copies
    The Monkees - Missing Links Vol. 3 2,000 copies
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind OST 2,500 copies
    Amy Winehouse - Remixes 13,000 copies

I actually made a video the other day on YouTube talking about some of these for Saturday June 12th.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Ultravox - Vienna (Steven Wilson Remix) 2,500 and 1,500 copies..unsure what the difference is

I believe one is vinyl and one is CD.

The ones I'd like to pick up are:

Genesis - Live at Knebworth 1990 vinyl LP
    Kenny Loggins - At the Movies vinyl LP
    Ultravox - Vienna (Steven Wilson mix) vinyl LP
    The Fixx - Reach the Beach vinyl LP (w/ bonus tracks)
    Elton John - Regimental Sgt. Zippo vinyl LP
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/

Nothing I really want this time around. I was vaguely interested in the Uriah Heep with the "reimagined" Roger Dean cover and splatter vinyl, but not $32 worth of interested.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    Record Store Day should be joyous but people have largely ruined it. From the huge crowds to the record flippers, it sucks a lot of the joy out of it for me.
    yeah, I'm afraid a agree. A couple of years ago I was approached by a guy who asked me if he could give me the money to buy an album for him. I don't remember the title, but I was leary of him. Then I figured out he was a record flipper. Same kind of assholes who hire kids to collect autographs from athletes for them.

I'm curious about that early 60s unreleased album by Elton John but can easily wait for the CD and to hear what it might sound like. RSD is a bit of a cash grab, but I don't mind as many music, vinyl enthusiast love it. I can't blame them.

It's supposed to be 111 here today. I think I'll skip RSD and stay in my nice air conditioned house.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I ended up going and getting my complete list, minus the Ultravox that supposedly got bumped to the July drop. Oh, and I picked up the new Mammoth WVH album as well.

Record Store Day should be joyous but people have largely ruined it. From the huge crowds to the record flippers, it sucks a lot of the joy out of it for me.
    Is it really the people who have ruined it? I put it on the record companies who have ruined it. What's Record Store Day about? It appears nowadays that it is about exclusives and limited editions. If the record companies cared, they would not have limited release items available only on RSD. eBay is flooded with RSD exclusives and I would guess eBay is seeing a lot more business than record stores today.

We bought the following:

Alestorm - Sunset on the Golden Age
    The Chemical Brothers - The Darkness You Fear
    Echo & The Bunnymen - Live In Liverpool
    Electric Wizard - Time To Die
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Tarkus
    The Fixx - Reach The Beach
    The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin Companion
    Hooverphonic - A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular Remixes
    Elton John - Regimental Sgt. Zippo
    Negative Space - Hard, Heavy, Mean & Evil
    Opeth - Morningrise
    Orange Goblin - Eulogy For The Damned

I missed out on the Groundhogs - 'Who Will Save The World? The Mighty Groundhogs' the only copies of which were ordered locally sold in minutes before I was anywhere near a store, the Brainiacs releases which apparently nobody in our area ordered and the Bardo Pond ones which apparently didn't even get US distribution. I didn't see the Police or Kings X albums, which were among the most demanded hereabouts, but likely wouldn't have been tempted.

I've no idea about what OneohTrix Point Never is, but all five (!) releases were available in multiple copies in almost every store.

I passed on the Tangerine Dream because it was a picture disc (my wife snuck the Tarkus picture disc in) and was already laden with other preferences by the time I came across The Sword (have it on CD) or Kristen Hersh albums, which I had some interest in. Also passed on the Uriah Heep because I have a great copy of it. Cover art was quite neat.

Besides that, we got a few other things unrelated to RSD, the gem of which was a stunningly cheaply priced NM copy of Autechre's complete 12 LP box set of the 'NTS Sessions'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Is it really the people who have ruined it? I put it on the record companies who have ruined it. What's Record Store Day about? It appears nowadays that it is about exclusives and limited editions. If the record companies cared, they would not have limited release items available only on RSD. eBay is flooded with RSD exclusives and I would guess eBay is seeing a lot more business than record stores today.
    I think it is people, because people ruin most everything if given the chance. Record companies don't flip the records. Limited editions and exclusives are to incentivize supporting indie record stores, rather than just giving them the same stock as the big box stores, which will take a loss on the item to get you in the door buying lots of other things. Whether it's a music lover or a flipper that buys the record, the indie stores do get that support. People don't have to be bastards and flip the records any more than scalpers have to buy concert tickets and sell them for well over face value. That's how I see it.

The flippers are most likely also music fans. They deal in what they know, and what they know is records. It might not be a genre they collect or like, but it's their comfort zone.

It may be annoying in this context, but if I'm in a record store crate digging, and I see an album that I have no musical interest in that's priced at $12, and upon inspection, it's rarity and condition is desirable, and I know it's value is over $100, do you think that I'm going to leave it for someone who will appreciate it musically? (Or buy it to sell on?) Haaaill no. I'm going to buy it and sell it for the profit.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post

I've no idea about what OneohTrix Point Never is, but all five (!) releases were available in multiple copies in almost every store.
    One of the best (during the late 00s / early 10s) krauty influenced electronica with an experimental edge. The first 4-5 albums are highly recommended, but I guess you can easily score them on cheap CDs.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I think it is people, because people ruin most everything if given the chance. Record companies don't flip the records. Limited editions and exclusives are to incentivize supporting indie record stores, rather than just giving them the same stock as the big box stores, which will take a loss on the item to get you in the door buying lots of other things. Whether it's a music lover or a flipper that buys the record, the indie stores do get that support. People don't have to be bastards and flip the records any more than scalpers have to buy concert tickets and sell them for well over face value. That's how I see it.
    What big box stores? It's all just indies now. And 99% of what I see for RSD looks likes overpriced repeats of titles most fans already own. Oh good, another 180 gram reissue of some 90's album that was never mastered for vinyl in the first place and can be had for pennies on CD.

It was a cool idea at first. Now it just feels like a big exercise in trying to trigger the collectors' unique blend of OCD and FOMO, orchestrated by entities who always dominated the money in the music biz.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    What big box stores?
    I was using the term as a catch-all that also includes Amazon and other major online retailers. But my local Target and Walmart stores both stock albums and even Best Buy has some, though not many. Even if they don't physically have them in stores, you can get them on their websites and they're cheaper. But the indie stores will get exclusive releases and special limited variants on RSD that those other retailers don't have and theoretically can't get.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The flippers are most likely also music fans. They deal in what they know, and what they know is records. It might not be a genre they collect or like, but it's their comfort zone.

It may be annoying in this context, but if I'm in a record store crate digging, and I see an album that I have no musical interest in that's priced at $12, and upon inspection, it's rarity and condition is desirable, and I know it's value is over $100, do you think that I'm going to leave it for someone who will appreciate it musically? (Or buy it to sell on?) Haaaill no. I'm going to buy it and sell it for the profit.
    Your scenario is luck of the draw and I don't see the situations as the same necessarily. You can't really plan the odd rare dollar bin bargain find in advance. I think the ticket scalping analogy fits best as it is calculated and also creates more scarcity than should actually exist. Also, that store in your scenario should find someone else to buy used stock and/or sort/price it for resale.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    One of the best (during the late 00s / early 10s) krauty influenced electronica with an experimental edge. The first 4-5 albums are highly recommended, but I guess you can easily score them on cheap CDs.
    Thanks. That sounds quite interesting. The RSD releases were indeed the early works, but you're correct in that the Rifts collection is available for around a tenth of the price. In fact, it's $13 from the artist's page on Bandcamp.

I was using the term as a catch-all that also includes Amazon and other major online retailers. But my local Target and Walmart stores both stock albums and even Best Buy has some, though not many. Even if they don't physically have them in stores, you can get them on their websites and they're cheaper. But the indie stores will get exclusive releases and special limited variants on RSD that those other retailers don't have and theoretically can't get.
    Target, Walmart and Best Buy aren't in any way competition for indie shops. I see the product they carry...it's the most tip-top edge of popular music. And more than once I've found supposed RSD exclusives available direct from Amazon (i.e. not a 3rd party reseller).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Nothing I really want this time around. I was vaguely interested in the Uriah Heep with the "reimagined" Roger Dean cover and splatter vinyl, but not $32 worth of interested.
    The what now?

Would you believe I've never done RSD? When they first started doing it, I think I was unemployed, and even when I was working again, I found that the only stores participating around here...well, not near me. Even if I had a car, it'd take about 45-60 minutes of driving to get to the nearest one.

Besides which, I just find a lot of what I see listed each year to be...not particularly interesting. Sometimes I'll see something, where they've reissued something, on vinyl, with an extra LP's worth of outtakes or whatever, and I'm thinking, "That sounds like that might be good, when is it coming out on CD", and of course, the answer is never. I remember one year the Grateful Dead took one of the 40 minute Dark Stars from the Europe '72 tour, and put it out ona limited edition LP. Yeah, because that's exacxtly what you want to do, flip the LP over in the middle of Dark Star!

In short, I just don't think I'm the "target audience' and even if I was, I'm kinda geographically handicapped. (shrug)

I believe one is vinyl and one is CD.

The ones I'd like to pick up are:

Genesis - Live at Knebworth 1990 vinyl LP
    Kenny Loggins - At the Movies vinyl LP
    Ultravox - Vienna (Steven Wilson mix) vinyl LP
    The Fixx - Reach the Beach vinyl LP (w/ bonus tracks)
    Elton John - Regimental Sgt. Zippo vinyl LP
    the Ultravox and the King's X releases as I came to learn on Saturday, got pushed back to next month. So between myself and my wife, we picked the big 1 RSD item on Saturday, lol.

We did find some other stuff though, which is kind of in the spirit of RSD to begin with (and it seems the majority of people who go to stores on RSD looking just for those special releases, seem to have lost the meaning of Record Store Day to begin with. I remember the 1st few years they held them, there were no *Special Releases* lol..it was just about going to the store and shopping for music, talking to other music collectors, etc and supporting the smaller, local stores).

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    (and it seems the majority of people who go to stores on RSD looking just for those special releases, seem to have lost the meaning of Record Store Day to begin with. I remember the 1st few years they held them, there were no *Special Releases* lol..it was just about going to the store and shopping for music, talking to other music collectors, etc and supporting the smaller, local stores).
    This is exactly what I am referencing in my earlier post.

I will always believe the record companies are the true culprit behind ruining RSD's meaning. Remember the phrase, "If you build it, they will come?" RSD was built, the people came -- they came in droves. Record companies saw that and capitalized on the event.

Here's a fact: Tears For Fears - Live At Massey Hall - LP/CD was available at this recent RSD. It's basically a repackage. Show me where Tears For Fears advertised it anywhere online or in interview. I'll be waiting forever, because they did not send anything out except a Facebook story on Saturday night (that disappears after 24 hours) which was well after the stores had closed. Why? Because this was 100% Universal doing a cash grab. TFF didn't want any part of it. Of course, the fans bought every copy and it was sold out in hours. Of course.

That same record company (UME) the day prior to RSD released KISS - Off The Soundboard - Tokyo 2001. Another cash grab. This time, the band whored themselves out as this is a brand new release. However, the release is still just a grab. The packaging is based off of the same concept. There are no images of any band members. No liner notes. No additional information within the packaging. All 100% record company to capitalize on RSD.

If it is not the record companies doing it, then why are the majority of these new vinyls released on RSD limited in quantity? Isn't the idea supposed to be to get the people into the stores regularly? Selling out that day, or even within the first few hours, does zero for the cause of RSD. It's a cash grab for record companies, or those who release product on RSD in limited quantity. Of course vultures are going to swoop in and list on eBay, but if they weren't limited numbers, the vultures would not be scavenging.

Haven't been for ten years. I could see it for what it was then and it just seems to have got worse, as now the 'vinyl revival' has taken off much more. I look at the lists and there's a lot of (to me) novelty pressing junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    If it is not the record companies doing it, then why are the majority of these new vinyls released on RSD limited in quantity? Isn't the idea supposed to be to get the people into the stores regularly? Selling out that day, or even within the first few hours, does zero for the cause of RSD. It's a cash grab for record companies, or those who release product on RSD in limited quantity. Of course vultures are going to swoop in and list on eBay, but if they weren't limited numbers, the vultures would not be scavenging.
    There are plenty of RSD releases from the last decade sitting around in record store bins waiting to finally sell out. There are boxes of them at distributors that were never ordered by record stores. Some sell faster than others and it doesn't make sense to over-press a record and have unsold stock in warehouses or in shop bins for years. They press what they think they can sell, and that's evident by the fact that the size of many of the runs are much larger now than they were a few years ago. Some are deliberately very limited to try and drive up excitement for the chase. Most of those are 'collectible' releases of music you can get elsewhere. Several of the releases I bought were advertised by the bands, and they were very excited to get a special release into the RSD list because it gives them much needed attention, and in many cases justifies a wider pressing than they would otherwise be able to fund/sell. Some of the remix and outtake albums that were RSD specials were selling alongside restock or represses of the related albums.

Yes, there is commercialism and sales gimmicks happening here, but that's how marketing works. I'm not sure what you're hoping record companies or artists do.

Yes, I ordered Triumph's Allied Forces—40th Anniversary box set and I can't wait to get it!