Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All Things Must Pass 50 yr Anniversary Reissue Box. In or out?

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    For those who like to read about all this stuff: https://theseconddisc.com/2021/06/10...luxe-box-more/
    Lots of good stuff in there. Thank you.

Particularly interesting to me was Dhani saying that his father “always wanted the album to sound clearer.” I think most of us always knew there was some great detail in there that was covered up by Phil’s production.

This general concept is especially interesting to me because I often find myself “defending” to my friends re-mixes of many progressive albums. So many people seem to think it is only about making some money. The point I am making lately is that when the artist himself/herself wants to better hear the details, the re-mix is something much more than a “cash grab re-release.”

Steven Wilson has in the past pointed out that so often, it isn’t “subjective” reasons at play that are driving many of the new re-mix packages; rather, it is the righting of wrongs caused by poor skills, or even more frequently, defective studio equipment such as wonky tape machines.

If anyone has George’s best interests in mind, it is Dhani.

I will be buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Lots of good stuff in there. Thank you.

Particularly interesting to me was Dhani saying that his father “always wanted the album to sound clearer.” I think most of us always knew there was some great detail in there that was covered up by Phil’s production.
    George may have also been referring to the original CD which was horrendously done with noise reduction.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Was just watching the 2015 documentary on Tower Records..... They were discussing the opening of the LA store on Sunset Strip....The video footage must have been right after the release of All Things Must Pass as there were "stacks" of the LP's'......there was also a shot across the counter and copies were going into bags.....no new on-topic news here...just a flashback to 1970......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I'd get the 3cd set at some point, I don't have any of these mega sets. Would have been nice to have had all of the demos, but not at this sort of price!

TBH I don't dislike the original Spector mix. It's obviously far from audiophile, so I can see the merit of a different approach, but at least it does make an impact. Some of Harrison's later solo albums I find a little bland in the production department.

I find the exclusion of the band take of 'I Live For You' bizarre. For me, that's easily as good as anything on the original album- a really gorgeous song. I don't love the rather 'modern' sounding mix on the 2001 one, at least there's an earlier mix around online.

Banned
    This year on Aug 1 is also the 50th anniversary of the Concert for Bangladesh which really was the first of big arena benefit shows.

All Things Must Pass had its 50th anniversary in Nov 2020.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    It's hard to understand why George and John wanted Phil Spector to produce their records. That guy stomps all over the artist and their record almost becomes a Phil Spector record. His heavy-handed style drowns out the voice of the original artist. I'd say the same about some other producers, namely Todd Rundgren, but I like Todd's "imprint" a lot more than Spector's. In fact, I've bought a lot of albums just because Todd produced them.
    Todd’s production and Spector’s was for compressed radio which went further out with stronger perceived signal. If Todd would redo many of his and take the compression off, even if it sounds different, that would be cool. We don’t need the same.

Banned
    This is what I am in for, no LPs and the Bluray:

The Super Deluxe Edition CD collects 70 tracks across 5 CDs including 47 (42 previously unreleased) demo recordings, session outtakes and studio jams all housed in a beautiful slipcase. A Blu-ray audio disc presenting the main album in hi-res stereo, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos is also featured. The collection contains a beautiful 56-page scrapbook curated by Olivia Harrison, with unseen imagery and memorabilia from the era, handwritten lyrics, diary entries, studio notes, tape box images, a comprehensive track-by-track and more. It also includes a replica of the original album poster. Released 6th August.
    Disc 1 (Main Album)
    1. I’d Have You Anytime
    2. My Sweet Lord
    3. Wah-Wah
    4. Isn’t It A Pity (Version One)
    5. What Is Life
    6. If Not For You
    7. Behind That Locked Door
    8. Let It Down
    9. Run Of The Mill
    Disc 2 (Main Album)
    1. Beware Of Darkness
    2. Apple Scruffs
    3. Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)
    4. Awaiting On You All
    5. All Things Must Pass
    6. I Dig Love
    7. Art Of Dying
    8. Isn’t It A Pity (Version Two)
    9. Hear Me Lord
    10. Out Of The Blue *
    11. It’s Johnny’s Birthday *
    12. Plug Me In *
    13. I Remember Jeep *
    14. Thanks For The Pepperoni *
    * Newly Remastered/Original Mix
    Disc 3 (Day 1 Demos – Tuesday 26 May 1970)
    1. All Things Must Pass (Take 1) †
    2. Behind That Locked Door (Take 2)
    3. I Live For You (Take 1)
    4. Apple Scruffs (Take 1)
    5. What Is Life (Take 3)
    6. Awaiting On You All (Take 1) †
    7. Isn’t It A Pity (Take 2)
    8. I’d Have You Anytime (Take 1)
    9. I Dig Love (Take 1)
    10. Going Down To Golders Green (Take 1)
    11. Dehra Dun (Take 2)
    12. Om Hare Om (Gopala Krishna) (Take 1)
    13. Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll) (Take 2)
    14. My Sweet Lord (Take 1) †
    15. Sour Milk Sea (Take 1)
    Disc 4 (Day 2 Demos – Wednesday 27 May 1970)
    1. Run Of The Mill (Take 1) †
    2. Art Of Dying (Take 1)
    3. Everybody/Nobody (Take 1)
    4. Wah-Wah (Take 1)
    5. Window Window (Take 1)
    6. Beautiful Girl (Take 1)
    7. Beware Of Darkness (Take 1)
    8. Let It Down (Take 1)
    9. Tell Me What Has Happened To You (Take 1)
    10. Hear Me Lord (Take 1)
    11. Nowhere To Go (Take 1)
    12. Cosmic Empire (Take 1)
    13. Mother Divine (Take 1)
    14. I Don’t Want To Do It (Take 1)
    15. If Not For You (Take 1)
    † Previously Released
    Disc 5 (Session Outtakes and Jams)
    1. Isn’t It A Pity (Take 14)
    2. Wah-Wah (Take 1)
    3. I’d Have You Anytime (Take 5)
    4. Art Of Dying (Take 1)
    5. Isn’t It A Pity (Take 27)
    6. If Not For You (Take 2)
    7. Wedding Bells (Are Breaking Up That Old Gang Of Mine) (Take 1)
    8. What Is Life (Take 1)
    9. Beware Of Darkness (Take 8)
    10. Hear Me Lord (Take 5)
    11. Let It Down (Take 1)
    12. Run Of The Mill (Take 36)
    13. Down To the River (Rocking Chair Jam) (Take 1)
    14. Get Back (Take 1)
    15. Almost 12 Bar Honky Tonk (Take 1)
    16. It’s Johnny’s Birthday (Take 1)
    17. Woman Don’t You Cry For Me (Take 5)
    Blu-ray Audio Disc (Main Album Only; Surround, Atmos, Hi-Res)
    1. I’d Have You Anytime
    2. My Sweet Lord
    3. Wah-Wah
    4. Isn’t It A Pity (Version One)
    5. What Is Life
    6. If Not For You
    7. Behind That Locked Door
    8. Let It Down
    9. Run Of The Mill
    10. Beware Of Darkness
    11. Apple Scruffs
    12. Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)
    13. Awaiting On You All
    14. All Things Must Pass
    15. I Dig Love
    16. Art Of Dying
    17. Isn’t It A Pity (Version Two)
    18. Hear Me Lord
    19. Out Of The Blue
    20. It’s Johnny’s Birthday
    21. Plug Me In
    22. I Remember Jeep
    23. Thanks For The Pepperoni

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well that's certainly different than the version I grew up listening to.. thanks for posting the link

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Todd’s production and Spector’s was for compressed radio which went further out with stronger perceived signal.
    Not sure that's necessarily true to be honest. Spector's production included what was referred to as "the wall of sound"(I know you know this)
    And it doesn't make sense an entire double album would have to be compressed for radio, when only a few of the songs were radio friendly. If they did that, that would be terrible.
    By the time All Things was released, it was also being played on a lot of FM Stereo stations.

I guess I don't have a problem with the original release, I was a young adult recently back from Vietnam and a civilian, and the way it sounded was what I lived with at that time.
    In spite of what many feel is an audio disappointment, it holds a certain charm to me that for me, is the way the music should sound.
    That being said, I'm looking forward to picking up the 3LP version, and know I'll enjoy the new mix and mastering, just as I do Giles Martin's Beatle's mixes.
    Depending on my mood I can choose the original stereo vinyl, mono version(Boxset) or the Gile's versions.

I do agree, the cd's(original) are flat and on occasion if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to put on All Things Must Pass vinyl, I'll pop the cd in, and after 1 song, I can't listen anymore and put the vinyl on.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

The 2001 'remaster' was poorly done- very shrill sounding. The later one (which reverted to the original black and white cover) was much better but seems to have drifted out of print. It followed the same sequence as the 2001 version, which I wasn't thrilled about. I also strongly dislike that 2000 remake of 'My Sweet Lord'.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Not sure that's necessarily true to be honest. Spector's production included what was referred to as "the wall of sound"(I know you know this)
    And it doesn't make sense an entire double album would have to be compressed for radio, when only a few of the songs were radio friendly. If they did that, that would be terrible.
    By the time All Things was released, it was also being played on a lot of FM Stereo stations.

I guess I don't have a problem with the original release, I was a young adult recently back from Vietnam and a civilian, and the way it sounded was what I lived with at that time.
    In spite of what many feel is an audio disappointment, it holds a certain charm to me that for me, is the way the music should sound.
    That being said, I'm looking forward to picking up the 3LP version, and know I'll enjoy the new mix and mastering, just as I do Giles Martin's Beatle's mixes.
    Depending on my mood I can choose the original stereo vinyl, mono version(Boxset) or the Gile's versions.

I do agree, the cd's(original) are flat and on occasion if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to put on All Things Must Pass vinyl, I'll pop the cd in, and after 1 song, I can't listen anymore and put the vinyl on.
    All most all music which was mastered for vinyl is compressed in an amplitude sense. That’s not necessarily a bad thing and it depends on the engineer and application. I’m not saying that anyone necessarily compresses consciously for radio, it just became part of the process to make it sound louder in general. Early FM was truly wideband with very few stations, and inter station noise was almost non-existent where I lived. It was later in the 70’s that compression which limited radio carrier excursion compromised the sound of FM.

I can’t stand to listen to much of Todd’s recorded tinny ass sound which was due to compression. However the live shows from the late 70’s and 80’s I’ve seen don’t suffer as much.

All most all music which was mastered for vinyl is compressed in an amplitude sense. That’s not necessarily a bad thing and it depends on the engineer and application. I’m not saying that anyone necessarily compresses consciously for radio, it just became part of the process to make it sound louder in general. Early FM was truly wideband with very few stations, and inter station noise was almost non-existent where I lived. It was later in the 70’s that compression which limited radio carrier excursion compromised the sound of FM.

I can’t stand to listen to much of Todd’s recorded tinny ass sound which was due to compression. However the live shows from the late 70’s and 80’s I’ve seen don’t suffer as much.
    Thanks for that information.
    I know the loudness wars has ruined a lot of music, at least to my ears.
    As a home hobbyist musician, I know it's very tempting to use software applications which elevate the sound, and when done tastefully without slamming it, it can be helpful, as long as dynamics remain in place. I try to use as little digital magic as possible and then go from there. But I'm just an amateur and still learning as I go.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Initial reports suggest the new stereo mix is compressed to hell.

More encouraging if you're into surround apparently. And the outtakes seem to have not been futzed with.

Man, this is the age of "uber deluxe" releases. I didn't pop for The Who's Sellout (just the 2LP version) but i might have to go the full monty on this one.

On a side note the Paul McCartney/Rick Rubin show on Hulu is Fab! It would be great fun if Paul had another album in him and had Rick producing.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Initial reports suggest the new stereo mix is compressed to hell.

More encouraging if you're into surround apparently. And the outtakes seem to have not been futzed with.
    Where did you see these reports?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Steve Hoffman. Apparently some customers have received the uber box a couple of weeks early.

Oh, no. This worries me greatly. I was hoping for something where the songs spoke for themselves rather than the audio engineer or the producer. I absolutely hate over-compressed music. I guess updating the sound means making everything louder than everything else. What a shame if this is the case.

I also saw on the Hoffman thread that the album was NOT "de-Spectorized" as was hoped. That and the compression means I'm out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I also saw on the Hoffman thread that the album was NOT "de-Spectorized" as was hoped. That and the compression means I'm out.
    Why is that a surprise? As SW has stated, he has to be very careful with the stereo remixes to not steer too far away from what people have heard on the radio for ever. However, where the real improvement (IMO) occurs is on the multichannel high res remixes which are going to be different by definition. On the Genesis remixes Nick Davis took liberties with the stereo remixes because good stereo mixes already existed. It’s just crazy how folks on the Hoffman threads only listen to stereo.

Not surprised at all. There is a precedent, though: "Let It Be Naked", which was "de-Spectorized". I think it makes a good companion to the original "LIB" album. And of course they could have given us 2 remixed versions of "ATMP" in the box set, one sounding like the original and one not.

Ember
    The original album was notable for its compressed density, in my estimation. I would not expect a new version to be radically different in its essential nature, although alternate approaches would also be welcome. I, too, am hoping the 5.1 mix will be that alternative.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    The original album was notable for its compressed density, in my estimation. I would not expect a new version to be radically different in its essential nature, although alternate approaches would also be welcome. I, too, am hoping the 5.1 mix will be that alternative.
    The remixed previously unreleased George Harrison songs on YouTube sound better to me. If the same people who worked on the Abbey Road remix, was wasn’t as dense or compressed, ATMP will be wonderful.

Why is that a surprise? As SW has stated, he has to be very careful with the stereo remixes to not steer too far away from what people have heard on the radio for ever.
    Why are you talking about Steven Wilson?? This release has nothing to do with him.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Not surprised at all. There is a precedent, though: "Let It Be Naked", which was "de-Spectorized". I think it makes a good companion to the original "LIB" album.
    All he did with Let It Be was post-production work (overdubbing, editing etc.), though, so it doesn't have his trademark sound. ATMP does and some fans wanted that changed. Harrison also expressed reservations about that sound. Personally I don't mind it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Why are you talking about Steven Wilson?? This release has nothing to do with him.

All he did with Let It Be was post-production work (overdubbing, editing etc.), though, so it doesn't have his trademark sound. ATMP does and some fans wanted that changed. Harrison also expressed reservations about that sound. Personally I don't mind it.
    I brought the thoughts of SW because they are general and I believe he is very knowledgeable of the issues people had with the Genesis stereo remixes. Are you saying that both stereo and 5.1/Atmos remixes of ATMP have the Spector post production features that were stripped in LIB naked.

I guess it comes down to this for me: if the album sounds as good as a SW remix, I may go for it. But if it sounds like the Sgt. Pepper remix (I haven't sprung for the others yet; may get the Abbey Road) or the Genesis remixes, I'm out. ATMP is a great album, but not an all-time favorite of mine. How often would I listen to it?