Thread: Renaissance CD/DVD/BR 50th Anniversary Live Box

Renaissance CD/DVD/BR 50th Anniversary Live Box

I spoke with legendary Renaissance singer Annie Haslam about the band's new live 50th anniversary CD/DVD/BR box set, the band's longevity, and more. The band recorded with a 10-piece orchestra and welcomed founding member Jim McCarty back to the stage for a couple of songs.

The story: https://michaellikestowrite.substack...e-haslam-talks

The full video interview (please pardon Annie's occasional screen freezes):
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaellikestowrite.substack.com/

I wonder if Annie has seen this 1974 RTL footage that recently resurfaced.

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Just started the 74 Luxembourg video, excellent performance, if not the best audio.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Look at those "kids" on stage!.....Sheesh - 47 YEARS ago
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

The 1974 film is cool but I was annoyed at them constantly putting the writing across the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    The 1974 film is cool but I was annoyed at them constantly putting the writing across the screen.
    Yes, I figure that a formal release was coming and this is like a watermark.

i remember this from 83..

if you scroll down to the comments and click 'show more', you'll see something very interesting.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Sadly for me, I have never been able to see Renaissance live. And in 2019 I had the chance to go to the Keswick theater filming of the 540th Anniversary concert.
    But coincidentally I already had plans to go see Brand X at the Progstock festival in Rahway, NJ. I did not want to miss it and had no guarantees to find a ticket for Renaissance, so I passed.

I own most of their Esoteric clam shell re-editions and love them. I've ordered my copy of thE 50th Anniversary concert to contribute to the band's website and enjoy what I missed but gives me a nice consolation of what could have been.

BTW - Annie's voice is the 8th Wonder of the World :-)

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    i remember this from 83..

if you scroll down to the comments and click 'show more', you'll see something very interesting.
    Are you referring to Gavin Harrison as drummer? I saw Renaissance several times in the early 1980s in Boulder and Denver. I recall the Denver show with Harrison. Of course, I had no idea who the young guy on drums was. I still have a poster from that tour (featuring the cover from their album Time-Line) signed by the band members, including Gavin. Perhaps it's worth a small fortune (he said hopefully!). Ah, memories of such classics as "Richard IX"!

Nice to hear Annie outside of a concert stage.
    She seems a lot more personable in a one to one than her stage persona, which is usually quite serious.
    Have always admired her vocals and Renaissance as well, with scheherazade being one of my personal favorites.
    I really like the earlier line up, and feel John Camp's bass really drove the band's music, and I miss that.

Thanks for the interview and posting.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Nice to hear Annie outside of a concert stage.
    She seems a lot more personable in a one to one than her stage persona, which is usually quite serious.
    Have always admired her vocals and Renaissance as well, with scheherazade being one of my personal favorites.
    I really like the earlier line up, and feel John Camp's bass really drove the band's music, and I miss that.

Thanks for the interview and posting.
    Annie is a perfectionist on stage and sometimes that comes across in an impersonal way.

I couldnít agree more about missing Jons bass in the band. He was so unique and somehow his bass complimented Annieís voice although I couldnít explain why if I tried. Itís the one thing about the reformed Renaissance that I could never come to grips with even when Michael Dunford was back in the band.

Rick

Thanks, The_Lurker, for the wonderful interview with Annie. It was fun to listen to her thoughts about the band, some of its history, and what she still hopes to accomplish. I'll now have to buy the 50th anniversary album that was filmed at the Keswick. Growing up in the 60s and 70s, I used to live just a few miles from the Keswick and I'd see movies there. I've never seen a concert there. Maybe some day!

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    Thanks, The_Lurker, for the wonderful interview with Annie. It was fun to listen to her thoughts about the band, some of its history, and what she still hopes to accomplish. I'll now have to buy the 50th anniversary album that was filmed at the Keswick. Growing up in the 60s and 70s, I used to live just a few miles from the Keswick and I'd see movies there. I've never seen a concert there. Maybe some day!
    I’ll never forget the Nearfest in which she was just involved with a display of her vulvacious art in the hall way. I asked about the the Tuscan release which wasn’t available there. She not only stated where I could buy it in the merch room, she went on to state that Renaissance was done. As it turned out she would reunite with Michael Dunford and perform again as Renaissance. My concert history with her goes back to the NCSU performance in the late 70s, the Christmas solo program at Keswick in 2000, Collingswood, NJ double bill with Al Stewart, Nearfest and Rosfest.