Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Neal Morse band album

Great melodies as to be expected! Tour dates also announced!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Snagged a sweet booth for the Seattle gig since our grandbaby is out there with son and wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post

It has both those patented Neal Morse melodies and drums being bashed like a carpet-bombing run. I like it.
    Yet another example of why Neal Morse is my favorite artist on the planet. Just amazing!!! Love this track so much. Making ten minutes feel like three.
    The Prog Corner

Did anyone check the preorder? They also released the Morsefest 2019 set (4cd/2BR) .
    Prices seem rather steep, CD/BR set for $44,99, 3LP new album for $54,99... (!).

Shipping from the US is also absurd these days (not Radiants fault of course). Whats not helping is that the BR is released exclusively by Radiant, so no other option than ordering from the US :-(

Quote Originally Posted by torch1969 View Post
    Did anyone check the preorder? They also released the Morsefest 2019 set (4cd/2BR) .
    Prices seem rather steep, CD/BR set for $44,99, 3LP new album for $54,99... (!).

Shipping from the US is also absurd these days (not Radiants fault of course). Whats not helping is that the BR is released exclusively by Radiant, so no other option than ordering from the US :-(

It's a limited pressing, I heard just 1,000 copies, which probably contributes the higher pricing.

It will be on Spotify for the currency-challenged...
    The Prog Corner

I listened to the lead single (Do It All Again). It's not as retro sounding as Transatlantic or Neal's solo stuff but it's good. I'm actually digging the fact they decided to go for a harder, more 80's-90's sorta direction with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    I listened to the lead single (Do It All Again). It's not as retro sounding as Transatlantic or Neal's solo stuff but it's good. I'm actually digging the fact they decided to go for a harder, more 80's-90's sorta direction with this one.
    I think you just nailed the reason why I don't like it. Oh well, there's still so much Morse related music for me to enjoy. Glad you guys like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Neal said he based "Beware of Darkness" on Leon Russell's version. In fact, I'm pretty sure he said that he hadn't heard Harrison's original before recording Spock's version!

[as a creepy side note, as I'm writing this post I am listening to Randy Jackson of Zebra play a Facebook Live session and what song does he start to cover...but Beware of Darkness! Whoa.]
    Thanks! I'll going to find the Randy Jackson performance now.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Thanks! I'll going to find the Randy Jackson performance now.
    I just did the same thing - you won't be disappointed. Randy just has one of the clearest voices, it just cuts through the music.

I’ll buy the hirez download once available, but I hope they don’t go too far to heavy prog. Not my cup of tea. Tried dream theater few times - just gave me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    I just did the same thing - you won't be disappointed. Randy just has one of the clearest voices, it just cuts through the music.
    That was fantastic. But I've seen Randy acoustic before.

second song released THE NEAL MORSE BAND - Bird On A Wire (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

That was really fun.

Banned
    Bird on a Wire is very tight, snappy, energetic and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    I hope they don’t go too far to heavy prog.
    They don't, apart from the occasional heavier guitar part from Eric Gillette. But from a full band perspective, the album isn't 'heavy' in that sense.

You guys are going to find the Bridge Over Troubled Water cover interesting. I'm curious to see what everyone thinks of it, and if it divides the fans. Think Yes doing America, rather than a straight cover.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yeah, "Bird on a Wire" is fun. I liked that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Think Yes doing America, rather than a straight cover.
    That's exactly my preconceived idea of it. Very satisfying instrumentally for a prog fan but totally missing the sentiment and subtlety of the original.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    That's exactly my preconceived idea of it. Very satisfying instrumentally for a prog fan but totally missing the sentiment and subtlety of the original.
    But what got me sentimental about the Yes’ America, is notion of an English band playing tribute to the country I live in and the images of that time when Simon and Garfunkel performed it. I lived constantly on the road with my military family in the 60’s, and I hitchhiked. Bridge over Troubled Water is completely different theme and doesn’t present in my preconceived notion, more than NMB hell and high water prog.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    You guys are going to find the Bridge Over Troubled Water cover interesting. I'm curious to see what everyone thinks of it, and if it divides the fans. Think Yes doing America, rather than a straight cover.

It's a NMB classic. Amazing cover, gonna be a highlight of their concerts, too. And don't compare it to Yes' America in your review...I already wrote that line in mine.

Here's a thorough overview of the new NMB album. For the naysayers - this is probably Neal's most diverse (and most, shall we say, "secular") album in decades, largely thanks to the songwriting input of the other band members. Really energized performances and arrangements all around. Lorne also has a great review out, so check that out, too.

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/al...nocence-danger

Here's a thorough overview of the new NMB album. For the naysayers - this is probably Neal's most diverse (and most, shall we say, "secular") album in decades, largely thanks to the songwriting input of the other band members. Really energized performances and arrangements all around. Lorne also has a great review out, so check that out, too.

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/al...nocence-danger
    Thanks for this review. I was going to pass based on the first two videos. This made me want to take a listen to the whole thing when it's out.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I suspect Neal feels he can use "Bridge over Troubled Waters" because it's in a Bible quote.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. ... Then we come to an understanding that Christ died for us that we might not have to spend eternity separated from God because of our sin. He laid down His life and became that bridge over troubled waters for us.
    Actually it's not a bible quote. Only the part I underlined is from John 14:6. The rest of that is commentary by the author of the article; he's the one using the phrase "bridge over troubled waters."
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

The harmonies on the chorus of Do It All Again sound like Styx to me, anyone else?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

You had me at

"secular"
    so I might pick this one up after all.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)