Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics 2021 (er, 2020)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    When I was growing up, cornhole was an entirely different sport. Was surprised to hear people mention it now in mixed company. The times, they are a-changing.

I played handball in a college course. It was quite different from the Olympic game. Similar, I think, to raquetball (which I've never played), but without a raquet. You smack a very hard ball with your open palm toward a wall. A glove is recommended. Wikipedia informs me that this game is American handball. As usual in America, they don't tell you other handball games exist.

Okay, so we were talking about silly events at the Olympics. I just ran across something I had to share and also discovered that baseball, softball, and karate will not be events at the 2024 Summer Olympics.

However, this one will (you guys aren't going to believe this shit): New event gets Olympic status to debut at Paris Games in 2024

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Yeah, I saw that earlier.

Outrageous.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Ember
    And they're dropping baseball, softball, and karate. But keeping horse-punching... I mean, modern pentathlon. And surfing. And wall-climbing. And...

I am generally skeptical of "sports" that require judges to determine the winner. Score the most points; cross the finish line first; throw the thing farther or jump the highest. I enjoy watching good dancers, but dancing is art. It can't be quantified, by definition.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I am generally skeptical of "sports" that require judges to determine the winner. Score the most points; cross the finish line first; throw the thing farther or jump the highest. I enjoy watching good dancers, but dancing is art. It can't be quantified, by definition.
    100% agree.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Dear god, I also see they rejected Parkour, which is probably a surprise given their current desperate attempts to be urban youth relevant.

And the venue for the surfing competition at Paris '24 will be held 15,000 miles away in Tahiti. I guess it's technically still part of France.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

100% agree.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Okay, so we were talking about silly events at the Olympics. I just ran across something I had to share and also discovered that baseball, softball, and karate will not be events at the 2024 Summer Olympics.

However, this one will (you guys aren't going to believe this shit): New event gets Olympic status to debut at Paris Games in 2024

Dropping Softball and Baseball seems crazy to me, especially seeing how popular baseball is even outside of the U.S. Break Dancing...........what a waste...

Wasn't break dancing a thing like 30 years ago?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

And they're dropping baseball, softball, and karate. But keeping horse-punching... I mean, modern pentathlon. And surfing. And wall-climbing. And...

Agree. I suppose if you can have synchronized swimming, diving, and gymnastics, you can have dancing. I get the point of being inclusive, but this seems like another ratings ploy/gimmick more than anything else.

But what is the basis for inclusion? Are we considering what sports are popular, but unique to places such as India, China, Africa, or Arab countries?

Should we start including games like chess? What about video games?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Twister!

I want nude square dancing but that's just the way I roll
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Hopefully breakdancing will be a one off thing like Karate was in Japan. Maybe its still a popular thing in France?

Thank god they are dropping baseball.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post

Thank god they are dropping baseball.
    \

Curious why you say that? I enjoyed watching the Olympic baseball games this year. Unfortunately, without MLB participation, you don't have the best players playing, but I still dug it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Curious why you say that?
    Because...

...without MLB participation, you don't have the best players playing...
    Regards,

Duncan

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I have a feeling that the Olympics like ambivalence. Obviously athletes shouldn't have too much a hand in the outcome of an event and sports that involve participant scoring puts judges out of the [payola] loop. Schmoozing and ass kissing are shills too you know.

\

Curious why you say that? I enjoyed watching the Olympic baseball games this year. Unfortunately, without MLB participation, you don't have the best players playing, but I still dug it.
    Well, mainly I don't like baseball.

But, yeah, no MLB players is also a big hurt. Thirdly, the games take soooooo long, and being the US is pretty good at baseball the games make it to the TV broadcast, which clogs everything up and gives less time to the sports that I am personally more interested in (aka the ones that I only get to see every four years at the olympics).

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Well, mainly I don't like baseball.

But, yeah, no MLB players is also a big hurt. Thirdly, the games take soooooo long, and being the US is pretty good at baseball the games make it to the TV broadcast, which clogs everything up and gives less time to the sports that I am personally more interested in (aka the ones that I only get to see every four years at the olympics).
    I don't see the main networks focusing that much time on baseball.

The game may be long, but when you consider how long a football game is and how much of that time is actually real action, it's not bad. Of course, you have to be a fan of the sport.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

The game may be long, but when you consider how long a football game is and how much of that time is actually real action, it's not bad. Of course, you have to be a fan of the sport.
    I’m glad football is not part of the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

All of America's games were on (both softball and baseball) as well as the both medal matches for both, minimum. Not NBC proper no, but its not like they have two dozen channels broadcasting the olympics. And soccer is worse no doubt, especially with the extra time bullshit. I don't want that in the olympics either, but I understand its a much bigger game in the rest of the world so that's not going to go anywhere.

Anything requiring a judge to tell you how well you did isn't a sport for me. I'm also not a fan of any sport being there were the Olympics isn't their biggest prize, golf, soccer, tennis, etc.
    Ian

^ I agree with Nog. The Summer Olympics should be track & field, poll vault, boxing, etc. among several others. But no soccer, hoops, baseball ...and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Anything requiring a judge to tell you how well you did isn't a sport for me. I'm also not a fan of any sport being there were the Olympics isn't their biggest prize, golf, soccer, tennis, etc.
    What about basketball? The "Dream Team" year remains one of the most historic moments in the sports history and is still one of the highlights of the Olympics in both men & women. The same could be said for Hockey at the Winter Games. The hockey final is the traditional end to the winter games for many years.

Hockey was amateur for the Miracle on ice. If your idea of sport is a a bunch of multimillionaire pros crushing semi pros and amateurs by 60 points a game we have different definitions. Oh yeah the USA TV audience lapped it up. Crushingly boring. Ask any of the Dream team if they'd rather have an NBA title and you'll get the same answer every time.
    Ian