Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics 2021 (er, 2020)

Summer Olympics 2021 (er, 2020)

The Games of the IXCVIIMXX Olympiad are approaching. Despite a pandemic, the IOC needs its beak wet and they don't get a taste of all that TV broadcast cash unless the games are played. And they're still calling this the 2020 Olympics because hey, all the merchandise is in storage and it's gotta be sold somehow. In short, the IOC makes other sports organizations look positively principled. FIFA is petty pickpocket compared to the Costa Nostra of sports.

I do love the games. Despite the rampant corruption, ridiculous cheating, and the lousy US broadcasts I love the competition and the spirit. I'm also a big fan of swimsuit and track shorts wedgies but that's beside the point. This tribute to the glory of international cooperation and competition needs a thread and this might as well be it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

They're really doing this, eh?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I saw something like an 80% not in favor by Japanese citizens.
    Postponement to the next olympic year would be ok.
    Bill Maher had a segment (5/28) with Bob Costas talking about the olympics. Made a few good points.
    Nostalgia clouds the memory, but the older games were very memorable. The more recent, not so much. I blame the media. ( easy target, I know ).
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Isn't Japan experiencing another COVID surge?

Money is all that matters, so I fully expect the wrong decision to be made.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Isn't Japan experiencing another COVID surge?

Money is all that matters, so I fully expect the wrong decision to be made.
    Yes, and apparently 80% of the population opposes having the games because of that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I can't get excited about this, obscene cash grab.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The Games of the IXCVIIMXX Olympiad are approaching. Despite a pandemic, the IOC needs its beak wet and they don't get a taste of all that TV broadcast cash unless the games are played. And they're still calling this the 2020 Olympics because hey, all the merchandise is in storage and it's gotta be sold somehow. In short, the IOC makes other sports organizations look positively principled. FIFA is petty pickpocket compared to the Costa Nostra of sports.

I do love the games. Despite the rampant corruption, ridiculous cheating, and the lousy US broadcasts I love the competition and the spirit. I'm also a big fan of swimsuit and track shorts wedgies but that's beside the point. This tribute to the glory of international cooperation and competition needs a thread and this might as well be it.
    I love the games and the international competition. I lament that US television seems unable to cover the Olympics each and every time. The merchandise will have to move without me. Hope the games start soon, because there has been FA on broadcast TV, day or night, for ages.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    They're really doing this, eh?
    IXCVIIMXX again!

I saw Bob Costas being interviewed and he was less than pleased about the situation. Costas thinks the best option would be summer of 2022 and then its back in sync with the Winter Games. Around three quarters of the Japanese population is against hosting the games this summer but it's all about the money. The Tokyo Olympic committee is on the negative end of every contract with the IOC and they'll lose millions if the games don't happen. The IOC doesn't see a dime of that lucrative broadcast money unless the games go on and NOTHING gets between the IOC and currency. And then they move on to cuddling up to yet another authoritarian government that needs the publicity.

Bob Costas makes far too much sense, which is why he would be a great baseball commissioner.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I saw Bob Costas being interviewed and he was less than pleased about the situation. Costas thinks the best option would be summer of 2022 and then its back in sync with the Winter Games. Around three quarters of the Japanese population is against hosting the games this summer but it's all about the money. The Tokyo Olympic committee is on the negative end of every contract with the IOC and they'll lose millions if the games don't happen. The IOC doesn't see a dime of that lucrative broadcast money unless the games go on and NOTHING gets between the IOC and currency. And then they move on to cuddling up to yet another authoritarian government that needs the publicity.
    Sounds like they're on the verge of eliminating all Olympic competition except the Capitalism Games. Perhaps the games should be renamed to reflect that reality.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Nostalgia clouds the memory, but the older games were very memorable. The more recent, not so much. I blame the media. ( easy target, I know ).
    Agreed.

Unpopular opinion: I can't stand the athlete spotlights. I don't care where they came from, what adversities they overcame to get there, etc. I just want to see the competitions!

Next up, Ballroom Dancing, and esports
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Agreed.

Unpopular opinion: I can't stand the athlete spotlights. I don't care where they came from, what adversities they overcame to get there, etc. I just want to see the competitions!
    With you on this one. Show more sports and less of the tear jerk stuff. I find it tough to watch between the personal stories and the commercials. You get three minutes of commercials for a 10 second race.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Agreed.

Very popular opinion with grumpy old men (us), less so with our wives.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Very popular opinion with grumpy old men (us), less so with our wives.
    Agreed. NBC is pretty sure that the only way to get women to watch is to have "stories" to enhance the drama. I have noticed my wife gets tired of these productions but then again, all bets are off during ice skating competition. Then she wants the drama.

Agreed. NBC is pretty sure that the only way to get women to watch is to have "stories" to enhance the drama. I have noticed my wife gets tired of these productions but then again, all bets are off during ice skating competition. Then she wants the drama.
    Not in our house. My wife and daughters enjoy many of the events with or without the "up close and personal" stories.

And, what gets me is that the networks get criticized every time around for the same thing. Yet, they continue.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    All the crap is certainly the worst, even more annoying than the commercials imo. That's why I prefer the non primetime coverage. That is usually just sports (and the strange ones to us americans, which are my favorites).
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not in our house. My wife and daughters enjoy many of the events with or without the "up close and personal" stories.

And, what gets me is that the networks get criticized every time around for the same thing. Yet, they continue.
    The same folks who decide what plays on "classic rock" stations decided it was a good thing.
    -- Aristotle

Trials are on but I've only caught bits and pieces. Japan is going to allow some spectators. Yeah, that will work.

Trials are on but I've only caught bits and pieces. Japan is going to allow some spectators. Yeah, that will work.
    I heard yesterday that only "local" spectators will be allowed, and no yelling or cheering will be allowed. No idea how they'll enforce any of that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Here's the numbers on how much $$$ is at stake if the Games are held.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/21/s...ening-why.html

And the games have begun! I swear that last night Savannah Guthrie made about a third of those countries up.

So it doesn't seem all I do is complain, I did enjoy the drones in the shape of the earth (they should have also done a Covid virus ), the performance by Hiromi, and Naomi Osaka having the honor of lighting the official Olympic flame.

But this morning I awoke to the wife watching Olympic men's volleyball. The French team had a few longhairs with man-buns. I think if you're gonna go feminine on the hair (I have nothing against long hair, having sported some myself in daze gone by) you should go full beehive. But I don't blame the Frenchmen for their hairstyles, many of which seemed borrowed from the US (we had to have invented the man-bun). And I have nothing against France.

The US men's team, by contrast, had mostly very short haircuts. I don't know if that has any significance. Most noticeable to me was the US men's volleyball uniform wifebeater shirts. That does seem to have some significance. Way to represent 'Murica, guys.

It has been cool having live coverage late at night and then early to mid-morning. I watched U.S. women’s softball last night before I went to bed and woke up to U.S. women’s 3 on 3 basketball this morning.