Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics 2021 (er, 2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That's Rugby 7's, not the official game, its normally played with 15 players per side. That's the real game.
    Wow, I had no idea. I thought I had watched Rugby before with more guys on the field, but don't know the game that well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Simone Biles is OUT from team competition.

I've read where it's a "medical issue," and then I've read that it's not a "physical injury." Regardless, a great loss for the U.S. and fans of the sport. Hope she's okay. I know many were looking forward to seeing her compete.
    They are being rather vague about whatever happened. The U.S. managed to get a Silver without her which is a pretty big achievement.

Why are Russian athletes allowed to compete?
    I don't fully understand it. They are there under the "Russian Olympic Committee" banner, whatever that means, but can't play for "Russia". Apparently they are allowing Russian athletes who have proven to be clean from doping under a neutral banner of the ROC. Many Russian athletes have not been allowed to compete.

Just got up this morning and watched the gold medal women's softball game between USA / Japan. I won't give it away in case people want to watch the tape delay tonight, but it was a good game.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Why are Russian athletes allowed to compete?
    I find that odd as well. They are supposed to be disqualified for their doping scandal, but they can bypass that by competing under a different name? I keep thinking ROC is Republic of China, not "Russian Olympic Committee." Guess it's money that matters. Meanwhile, the Namibian women's team (I don't know for which sport, or if for many sports) was disqualified for having testosterone in their blood. All women have some testosterone in their blood, and all men have some estrogen in theirs (more for American men, because of diet). Did the IOC determine beyond doubt that the Namibians were taking it as a supplement, or is it just more of the racism and misogyny that have tainted the Olympics? I'm sure we'll never see any proof of wrongdoing. If the Namibians can't compete, why can the Russians?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Simone Biles is OUT from team competition.

I've read where it's a "medical issue," and then I've read that it's not a "physical injury." Regardless, a great loss for the U.S. and fans of the sport. Hope she's okay. I know many were looking forward to seeing her compete.
    This is the first I heard of this, but I just woke up coughing wildfire smoke, and we only have NBC broadcast channel. I'm sure they'll have to mention it eventually. I hope she's OK. One of the main reasons to watch the Olympics, for me. She can do things no other human can do. Whatever happened, she must be sorely disappointed.

Simone Biles
    Yahoo Sports
    With Simone Biles out, Russia wins women's gymnastics team gold in Tokyo
    Dan Wetzel
    Dan Wetzel·Columnist
    Tue, July 27, 2021, 8:54 AM
    In this article:

Tokyo Games

Simone Biles
    American gymnast

TOKYO — Simone Biles roared toward the vault; the United States women’s gymnastics team in need of one of her signature knockout performances if they were going to stake an early lead on Russia in the team competition here Tuesday.

Instead, Biles bailed out of her planned attempt — a Yurchenko with 2.5 twists. She instead delivered the far easier Yurchenko 1.5. Even then, she took a massive bounce/stumble upon landing.

As judges tallied a very un-Simone like score of 13.766 — a full 1.2 below her qualifying mark — Biles walked off the mat and looked to be near tears.

She briefly left the arena floor with a USA Gymnastics trainer only to quickly return with her wrists wrapped for an apparent return to the uneven bars, the Americans' second rotation. She then unwrapped them and put on warm-ups.

Biles later said that she was dealing with a number of mental health issues, including an intense pressure to achieve perfection and fear of how she would be judged by the public at large.

When she couldn’t complete the Yurchenko 2.5, she realized she would only hurt the team by continuing to compete and that wasn’t fair to the others.

“I’m not in the right headspace,” Biles said. “I’m not going to lose a medal for this country and for these girls. They worked too hard ... it's not worth it, especially when you have three amazing athletes who can step up."

Just like that, the greatest gymnast of all time had been removed from the team competition after a single rotation.

Biles said that she would be working on her mental health the next few days and hoped to still be able to complete in the all-around competition on Thursday and in the four individual event finals in which she qualified. Her coach said she would get professional help first thing Wednesday morning here in Japan.

"I'm going to focus on my well-being," Biles said. "I am more than just a gymnast."

So.... she's stressed?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    So.... she's stressed?
    Publicly, it appears as such.
    Privately, could be anything.
    Hope she gets to a place where she feels better!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I played rugby (not very well ) through my high school years. The rules aren't very complicated, and it's a great spectator sport.

Yep. I love Rugby 7s. (Rugby purists would shoot me in my boots for saying that )
    I played through high school and it was brutal on a small skinny kid with no speed. I enjoy 7's but it bears zero relation to the real game.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I would love to hear the Bookie chatter in Vegas today regarding Ms Biles news. I’m sending positive vibes for her mental well-being….such pressure to put on one person…..
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I admire her honesty and self awareness.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ember
    If you've been watching NBC, Simone Biles has seemingly been featured in some way on every broadcast whether it includes gymnastics or not. She must feel like she's under the most intense scrutiny every moment of her life. There has to be a breaking point.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think Simone is a brave athlete.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    If you've been watching NBC, Simone Biles has seemingly been featured in some way on every broadcast whether it includes gymnastics or not. She must feel like she's under the most intense scrutiny every moment of her life. There has to be a breaking point.
    She is the brand ambassador of the Olympics, and in the age of social media. And she has to compete with her own perfect self.

Not long ago that was Michael Phelps. And he went into depression and was suicidal.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Job one is certainly look after yourself
    Ian

Could it be that today’s athletes are a “brand” and therefore are on 24/7 display?

Back in the day, Mark Spitz did his amazing performance then became a dentist. Dave Waddle also moved on.

Nowadays they are “brand ambassadors” and a slave to social media attention.

Some folks grow up with a one track ambition to the Olympics then, no backup to a normal life. Sad.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I just hope that people like Simone Biles and Naomi Osaka can help to make caring for your mental health a normal thing.

We still have way too many Neanderthals in the comment sections.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

And I don't want to hear any "athlete's back in my day" nonsense. Back then you were lucky if one reporter talked to you after a match and it was printed in the next days paper. There was none of this 24/7 social media blitz. If you did stupid shit back then no-one ever heard about it.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Could it be that today’s athletes are a “brand” and therefore are on 24/7 display?

Back in the day, Mark Spitz did his amazing performance then became a dentist. Dave Waddle also moved on.

Nowadays they are “brand ambassadors” and a slave to social media attention.

Some folks grow up with a one track ambition to the Olympics then, no backup to a normal life. Sad.
    The athletes have the ability to control this aspect of their lives, so it's hard to feel much sympathy for them here. Some are mentally tough enough to deal with the consequences of their choices, and others, like Simone Biles, crack.

However, if this shines more of a light on the larger issue, which is the virtual child abuse that is "womens'" gynmastics, all the better. An endeavor that combines many of the worst aspects of teen beauty pageants and slave labor camps - what could go wrong?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The athletes have the ability to control this aspect of their lives, so it's hard to feel much sympathy for them here. Some are mentally tough enough to deal with the consequences of their choices, and others, like Simone Biles, crack.
    It has nothing to do with mental toughness, mental health impacts on everyone. I don't think Simone "cracked" as you say, she simply acknowledged that her performance was not at peak and she didn't want to draw down on other competitors.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Likewise.

Why don't you go try being an Olympic athlete yourself, and then maybe we'll talk.

Same here. She had to know she'd face ridicule for this, so I applaud her for doing it anyway. There are more important things than winning a medal (like one's own mental well-being). Hope she's okay.

It has nothing to do with mental toughness, mental health impacts on everyone. I don't think Simone "cracked" as you say, she simply acknowledged that her performance was not at peak and she didn't want to draw down on other competitors.
    I love people who think that Simone Biles isn't "mentally tough." There's a large intersection of these folks and those who feel they're facing tyranny for being asked to wear a mask.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I love people who think that Simone Biles isn't "mentally tough." There's a large intersection of these folks and those who feel they're facing tyranny for being asked to wear a mask.
    People lacking in empathy or compassion for their fellow man/woman. It's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Why don't you go try being an Olympic athlete yourself, and then maybe we'll talk.
    She cracked like an egg.

Deal with it