Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 249

Thread: Summer Olympics 2021 (er, 2020)

  1. #26
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,723
    That 3 on 3 basketball looks stupid.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That 3 on 3 basketball looks stupid.
    Wait 'til you see synchronized 3-on-3 basketball.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  3. #28
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,540
    The crotchetiness is real. If no one has an interest in actually discussing the games then we should close the thread.

    I watched a few 3-on-3 basketball matches so far and they were rather intense. I have watched quite a wide variety of items so far including Judo, Swimming, Beach Volleyball, Taekwondo, etc. I actually prefer some of these to gymnastics. It helps that I have YouTube TV as I have so much content already cloud recorded, there's a lot to choose from.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  4. #29
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,723
    Rowing, archery, kayaking, cycling so far have been enjoyable
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  5. #30
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    5,141
    I saw the canoe racing this AM, that was pretty cool. Women's gymnastics tonight. My wife will say she doesn't care. Most of the time that means something will get her emotionally involved and she'll be yelling at the TV for her favorite.

    I have seen a couple of compelling performances. In a cycling roadrace, the favorite and the rest of the pack failed to respond when an Austrian woman broke from the pack. Gold for the Austrian, who I believe they said is a mathematics professor. And in swimming a Tunisian man surprised the field and won a gold medal. He'll be a national hero. It's those moments that make it worthwhile.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  6. #31
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,660
    I watched Badminton.

  7. #32
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I have seen a couple of compelling performances. In a cycling roadrace, the favorite and the rest of the pack failed to respond when an Austrian woman broke from the pack. Gold for the Austrian, who I believe they said is a mathematics professor. And in swimming a Tunisian man surprised the field and won a gold medal. He'll be a national hero. It's those moments that make it worthwhile.
    This is what I watch for.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  8. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I saw the canoe racing this AM, that was pretty cool. Women's gymnastics tonight. My wife will say she doesn't care. Most of the time that means something will get her emotionally involved and she'll be yelling at the TV for her favorite.

    I have seen a couple of compelling performances. In a cycling roadrace, the favorite and the rest of the pack failed to respond when an Austrian woman broke from the pack. Gold for the Austrian, who I believe they said is a mathematics professor. And in swimming a Tunisian man surprised the field and won a gold medal. He'll be a national hero. It's those moments that make it worthwhile.
    I like that the cycling finishes with a lap around Fuji Speedway which is kind of cool. If they had allowed fans that would have been a great vantage point to watch the finish.

  9. #34
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,395
    I've been out-of-state for a few days, and am just now catching up. Many recorded hours to watch, starting with the opening ceremony, then on to cycling.

    Does anyone know how I can find a way to view the less popular sports? E.g. I'd like to watch the sailing...
    Regards,

    Duncan

  10. #35
    Ember
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Delaware County PA
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I've been out-of-state for a few days, and am just now catching up. Many recorded hours to watch, starting with the opening ceremony, then on to cycling.

    Does anyone know how I can find a way to view the less popular sports? E.g. I'd like to watch the sailing...
    You need cable (USA Network, NBC Sports Channel, CNBC) and streaming (Peacock), plus the NBC website, to see everything. Peacock has replays of many/most things.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

  11. #36
    Ember
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Delaware County PA
    Posts
    586
    During an equestrian event, some of the music for one rider was Muzak Genesis.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

  12. #37
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    You need cable (USA Network, NBC Sports Channel, CNBC) and streaming (Peacock), plus the NBC website, to see everything. Peacock has replays of many/most things.
    Thanks!
    Regards,

    Duncan

  13. #38
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,395
    Just watching the end of the opening ceremony.

    Nice to hear Mike Batt's music accompanying the torch into the stadium, and through the relayed hand-offs. (Mike is a member here, but hasn't logged in for several years.)
    Regards,

    Duncan

  14. #39
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,924
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    During an equestrian event, some of the music for one rider was Muzak Genesis.
    Wonder if Bruce Springsteen's daughter will use his music?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  15. #40
    Member DrGoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Just watching the end of the opening ceremony.

    Nice to hear Mike Batt's music accompanying the torch into the stadium, and through the relayed hand-offs. (Mike is a member here, but hasn't logged in for several years.)
    My first record was "Remember You're A Womble" when I was six years old. It was a bit of a surprise when he teamed up with Hawkwind some 45 years later.

  16. #41
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,587
    Nobody watched the US get the bronze in trick skateboarding? Some of those guys wiped out hard on that concrete!

  17. #42
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,723
    British men go 1 & 2 in 200m freestyle, first time in swimming since 1908
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  18. #43
    Ember
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Delaware County PA
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Nobody watched the US get the bronze in trick skateboarding? Some of those guys wiped out hard on that concrete!
    I did not realize those 'boarders wore no protective gear whatsoever. I also did not realize that such an "xtreme" sport could be so boring to watch. The women were no better.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

  19. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,725
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Nobody watched the US get the bronze in trick skateboarding? Some of those guys wiped out hard on that concrete!
    I had it on in the background this afternoon and was kind of watching it off and on.

  20. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,725
    Just watched U.S.A. beat Ireland in Rugby. I still don't understand all the rules of the game, but those are some tough ass dudes that play that sport.

  21. #46
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I did not realize those 'boarders wore no protective gear whatsoever. I also did not realize that such an "xtreme" sport could be so boring to watch. The women were no better.
    Diff'rent strokes! Sure beats watching swimming...zzzzzzzzzzz

  22. #47
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,723
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Just watched U.S.A. beat Ireland in Rugby. I still don't understand all the rules of the game, but those are some tough ass dudes that play that sport.
    That's Rugby 7's, not the official game, its normally played with 15 players per side. That's the real game.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  23. #48
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Just watched U.S.A. beat Ireland in Rugby. I still don't understand all the rules of the game, but those are some tough ass dudes that play that sport.
    I played rugby (not very well ) through my high school years. The rules aren't very complicated, and it's a great spectator sport.

    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That's Rugby 7's, not the official game, its normally played with 15 players per side. That's the real game.
    Yep. I love Rugby 7s. (Rugby purists would shoot me in my boots for saying that )
    Regards,

    Duncan

  24. #49
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,924
    Simone Biles is OUT from team competition.

    I've read where it's a "medical issue," and then I've read that it's not a "physical injury." Regardless, a great loss for the U.S. and fans of the sport. Hope she's okay. I know many were looking forward to seeing her compete.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  25. #50
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,924
    Why are Russian athletes allowed to compete?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •