Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd Animals Remix

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I've only now gotten around to freeze-framing that video to see what's actually on this 4-disc set I've been hearing about. They are selling us a remix of the album, and nothing else, in four different formats packaged together??? That is a cash grab of truly masterful proportions.

Don't we even get a scarf???
    Scarfe will be included with The Wall remix.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    I'm glad Gerald has finally found a home. He's getting rather old but he's a good mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    I own more Floyd recordings, releases, remasters etc than I could count. Maybe I will get this one as well, depending upon the reviews. For many years I had wished for a Floyd reunion. Now I have no interest in that, as clearly they despise each other, so I wouldn't want to watch them tolerate each other on stage just for the sake of a reunion. I saw Gilmour the last time he toured, it was great. And I saw Waters on his tour of the Wall, that was a great production as well. But it feels as if Waters will be forever distraught about losing command of the Floyd brand.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVQTKSWULu8

Unfukkin' believable.

We have two old guys with banks accounts with 9 digits to the left of the decimal point still going at it. Neither David, Rick or Nick ever said Roger wasn't the leader but Waters is still going after the 'I did everything' narrative. Except for the Live 8, and when they exchanged the 'you show up for me for 5 minutes and I do the same for you' so they can put it on their solo DVDs, they haven't worked together since the The Wall movie and The Final Cut album were released almost 40 years ago. Give it a rest.

My opinion, which I know doesn't count, is that neither would be anywhere near their current station in life without the others. Its the music that catches me first and if that isn't appealing, I'm not giving it another listen. That explains the no Dylan and Springsteen in my collection. When you add great lyrics to great music and sound quality, that's where the magic is. It seems all Waters can say is DG was a great guitarist and singer. I'm sure Waters didn't write the parts for Gilmour and Wright but usually never a word about that. Must note that when Wright passed, he did say he was a tremendous help on Dark Side of the Moon.

I just wanted the concert of the Animals tour. Maybe there isn't the professional, top shelf recording from the tour, but if they can make some of the stuff from the early box sets sound good (AHM, The Man, The Journey, SoS etc), there has to be some decent source material that they could have whipped into shape.

So this sat on a shelf for three years over liner notes? And no concert? I've already got 2 CD's of Animals. I don't have 5.1 so this is a hard pass. I know some here have really been waiting for that.

This is my fav band and I thought it would be a great way to go out with the Experience Edition of Animals. Major disappointment.

Did I say already Unfukkin' believable.

PS - What are the odds that in a year or two, that a live set shows up for the holidays?
    Last edited by Tangram; 06-04-2021 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Maybe the dispute is still too new and raw on their minds...it's only been 40 years.
    I'm sure it will be recorded and sold in 10 years where these two wheelchair bound old guys are whacking each other with canes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    It seems all Waters can say is DG was a great guitarist and singer.
    Roger's exact words: "Yes he was, and is, a jolly good guitarist and singer"
    Is the "jolly" adjective a thinly-veiled fat jest?

Little known fact: Roger Water's father died in WWII

70+ years and still bickering like fools. I want to sympathize with Roger getting banned from the Facebook page but hell, I suspect that the other camp is simply done with putting up with his shit. Anyhoo, I don't have 5.1 so this is of no interest to me. I appreciate Waters' lyrical abilities but lets face it, the guy hasn't exactly cranked out tons of hooks and timeless melodies. Dave's gift for lyrics is um...thin. Floyd was always the sum of its parts and this bickering takes away from the fact that when the four of them worked together it was magic. I would buy this in a heartbeat if it had a live show attached. It doesn't, so I won't. Back to those crusty old audience recordings.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Ditto on all points
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Back to those crusty old audience recordings.
    I love crusty old audience recordings.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    Nice, you picked that up. After I wrote it and got off PE, I was out shopping and I was thinking I don’t really think Waters said he was ‘great’. It may be a fat shot, but I think it’s more of a ‘I could have got any good singer/guitarist to handle my great concepts’.

We don’t know what went on behind the scenes lately, but the refusal of Waters to have access to the PF website and FB pages for advertising, probably has put these guys back to square one. Bringing Polly into it and these guys won’t have anything good to say about each other until one of them is on the wrong side of the lawn. A shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Can't wait for this, but Roger is such a dick.
    1) I think that is more or less true
    2) However, that is not mutually exclusive with him being... err... kind of right this time. It is true that Roger did try to be more civil recently. It is also true that many bands have no problem promoting the solo stuff from former members, specially if they are in good terms... and even if they are not! - check the Yes site for example. Also true that the Roger Waters solo stuff is WAY more relevant to PF fans than anything by Polly Samson... is not like we became fans of her writing after whatever she did write for PF... I don't think there is a single PF fan that can say that... I guess...

v

More likely it's English sarcasm, jolly good being slightly better than good, but not great. It's classic.
    Ian

At the Live 8 set I got the impression that Roger was trying to be Mr Conciliatory, but Dave in particular was having none of it, he looked very uncomfortable at the end.

The sad truth is, Pink Floyd neglected to have any of their shows professionally recorded after 1972 and until 1980-81. The only exception was the BBC broadcast of the 1974 Wembley shows, we have the Beeb to thank for that (and many of the earlier live or almost-live recordings).
    So, I wasn't expecting any official multitrack recording from the "Animals" tour, that just doesn't appear to exist. Sad indeed.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Yes I never thought that any professionally-recorded live material from this era would materialise, TBH.

Hard to think of another big rock band who is so badly represented by professional audio/video from their commercial peak.

Definitely one of those times where you're grateful for fan 'tapers'. The Oakland show from this tour is a very good recording.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    More likely it's English sarcasm, jolly good being slightly better than good, but not great. It's classic.
    That could be it. But Waters also wrote: "But, he has for the last 35 years told a lot of whopping porky pies..."
    Which might be a (thinly-veiled) Pigs reference rather than to corpulence, but there is a connection here.

That could be it. But Waters also wrote: "But, he has for the last 35 years told a lot of whopping porky pies..."
    Which might be a (thinly-veiled) Pigs reference rather than to corpulence, but there is a connection here.
    I know you are messing with me but I can't help myself - Porky Pies is cockney rhyming slang for lies. Still not a corpulence reference.
    Ian

Roger is testing the waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Little known fact: Roger Water's father died in WWII

70+ years and still bickering like fools. I want to sympathize with Roger getting banned from the Facebook page but hell, I suspect that the other camp is simply done with putting up with his shit. Anyhoo, I don't have 5.1 so this is of no interest to me. I appreciate Waters' lyrical abilities but lets face it, the guy hasn't exactly cranked out tons of hooks and timeless melodies. Dave's gift for lyrics is um...thin. Floyd was always the sum of its parts and this bickering takes away from the fact that when the four of them worked together it was magic. I would buy this in a heartbeat if it had a live show attached. It doesn't, so I won't. Back to those crusty old audience recordings.
    My sarcasm detection is on low. I thought it was a well known fact

From an English perspective, I would say to describe a person as 'jolly good' at something is quite normal, if a little old fashioned.

But to describe a person as 'jolly' as a description could, in some peoples eyes, be seen as an inference that they are overweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    From an English perspective, I would say to describe a person as 'jolly good' at something is quite normal, if a little old fashioned.

But to describe a person as 'jolly' as a description could, in some peoples eyes, be seen as an inference that they are overweight.
    Agreed.
    Ian

My sarcasm detection is on low. I thought it was a well known fact
    I was being sarcastic. Poking at Roger for belaboring the point.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Well, seeing as how I somehow lost my copy of Animals (just the CD, not the jewel case and booklet!) I might be interested. I more a fan of the pre-Darkside material but Animals is my favorite of the post-Darkside stuff, and one I haven't hear on the radio a billion times like a lot of Dark Side, so I will consider this.

As to Waters, I think he has some good points and I think Gilmour may actually get a bit of perverse pleasure out of saying things in interviews he knows will piss Roger off, but that's pure speculation on my part. But yeah, Water QUIT the band, then took them to court over use of the name and lost, and Gilmour has control of it, so can do whatever he wants with it. Something Roger maybe should have considered before quitting, even though he thought he was actually ending the band by quitting (a sign of his arrogance, surely).

I know you are messing with me but I can't help myself - Porky Pies is cockney rhyming slang for lies. Still not a corpulence reference.
    A Cambridge lad like Roger Waters using Cockney slang: oh dear!