Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd Animals Remix

Poor Roger. Poor Dave. But, most of all, poor fans.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

This is awful and terrible and unjust and I just really really wish these two men would get past their silly personal squabbles so they can properly reunite as Pink Floyd with Nick Mason and go on a tour so that die hard fans can pay upwards of $5000 for nosebleed seats just to watch three grown men barely tolerate one another on stage. You know, real band magic.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I think Gilmour has had so much nonsense from Roger over the years he's decided to just stick it to him. Does it make sense? No. Is it vindictive? Yes. Does Roger bring it on himself? Yes.
    I think Roger wears his heart on his sleeve whereas David is a bit more reserved. I enjoy watching/listening to both of them in those many documentaries- when it’s just about the music - they’re so passionate and interesting. If I was Roger I’d be pissed. If I was David I would feel I had put up with plenty and didn’t need anyone’s permission to take it forward the way he did.

As for Animals - I bet I still prefer my old vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    This is awful and terrible and unjust and I just really really wish these two men would get past their silly personal squabbles so they can properly reunite as Pink Floyd with Nick Mason and go on a tour so that die hard fans can pay upwards of $5000 for nosebleed seats just to watch three grown men barely tolerate one another on stage. You know, real band magic.
    Maybe the dispute is still too new and raw on their minds...it's only been 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Everything I ever heard about Roger leads me to agree with what you say, except:

Simon has a friend who was part of Roger's crew on one of his mega-tours. It was a gigantic crew - like 60-80 people NOT including the musicians. When the hiring was done, Roger personally came and spoke to every crew member and shook their hand and within a couple of weeks had learned everyone's name. He also ate all his meals with the crew. Simon's friend said it was the best work situation that he had ever been involved with as a crew member and Roger really made EVERYONE feel like they were part of an appreciated team.

That surprised me a lot, but I was happy to hear it.
    IIRC, Andy Latimer once (unsucessfully) auditioned for a RW tour and later said that Waters was one of the warmest persons he had met in the business and that he made everyone feel welcome.
    I guess it's easier for RW to manifest that warm, easy going side of himself when he's clearly in control of everything and theres' no one to challenge him, but it's still remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Maybe the dispute is still too new and raw on their minds...it's only been 40 years.
    Given how people on PE carry on about Phil Collins, maybe be careful with that one. At least in their case there was millions on the line .

Everything I ever heard about Roger leads me to agree with what you say, except:

Simon has a friend who was part of Roger's crew on one of his mega-tours. It was a gigantic crew - like 60-80 people NOT including the musicians. When the hiring was done, Roger personally came and spoke to every crew member and shook their hand and within a couple of weeks had learned everyone's name. He also ate all his meals with the crew. Simon's friend said it was the best work situation that he had ever been involved with as a crew member and Roger really made EVERYONE feel like they were part of an appreciated team.

That is nice to read, thanks for sharing it.

Waters not being able to post content on the PF Facebook page is ridiculous. I'd be upset if I were him, too. The band is expressly not a going concern anymore, so the FB page's only real purpose (besides promoting archival content) is to highlight their individual current activities. Gilmour is usually quite gracious in interviews about acknowledging the vital role that Waters played in their peak era--I'm a little surprised he's being this petty behind the scenes. Waters, of course, is quite willing to put his pettiness right out there in front of everybody.

Animals is where Waters started to separate creatively from the group, but the excellence of the album heavily depends on the musical contributions of Gilmour and Wright. Personally, I don't need anything but the original mix. It's a bit harsh in places, but it perfectly fits the music.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    That is nice to read, thanks for sharing it.
    It was completely out of character with what I expected and it’s how everyone who is leading a team should try to do it. IMO.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Don’t care what these guys are fighting or arguing about. I don’t need an upmix downmix overmix supermix or an undermix of Animals. I like it just the way it is and they ain’t getting any more of my money no matter what. How do they like them apples or oranges!?

...sigh....

I wonder if it was politics that kept any "extras" out of this release. Either way, "extras" was the selling point for me, so "no sale".

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I wonder if it was politics that kept any "extras" out of this release. Either way, "extras" was the selling point for me, so "no sale".
    I've only now gotten around to freeze-framing that video to see what's actually on this 4-disc set I've been hearing about. They are selling us a remix of the album, and nothing else, in four different formats packaged together??? That is a cash grab of truly masterful proportions.

Don't we even get a scarf???
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

That's great to hear. I started to gain a lot of respect for Waters years back with the work he was doing with Wounded Warriors.

Regardless I'm a big fan of Animals and I say bring it on, i'd love to hear a remastered version of it.

As far as a reunion I'm really fine with Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Don’t care what these guys are fighting or arguing about. I don’t need an upmix downmix overmix supermix or an undermix of Animals. I like it just the way it is and they ain’t getting any more of my money no matter what. How do they like them apples or oranges!?
    You tell it like it is Bro!

(totally agree...)

I am interested in this for the 5.1 mix only as have the 2011 CD version already. So very unlikely to buy this bloated package, don't need the vinyl, and why not just put everything on DVD or Bluray. Make it a CD/ DVD or CD/Bluray package like the Crimson or Yes 5.1 sets ?

I know roger has the screenshot in the video, but until the band officially announced the rerelease, can’t rule out the potential for odds and ends and any live stuff. Would be cool to see but not holding breath...

Animals was and still is my favorite Pink Floyd, but I'm not sure I need a remix.

Perhaps if the album would come with some extras, like a live performance, it could be interesting, but otherwise...

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I think Gilmour has had so much nonsense from Roger over the years he's decided to just stick it to him. Does it make sense? No. Is it vindictive? Yes. Does Roger bring it on himself? Yes.
    Agreed. And if I were Dave, I'd be wary of letting Roger post there too. Roger has not legally been in Pink Floyd since the 80s and he's prone to post very polarizing political content to say the least. Not to mention his penchant for Dave/Polly bashing.

And we are only hearing Roger's side of it which will always be uber-Roger-centric.
    Last edited by Nearfest2; 06-02-2021 at 09:38 AM.
    Chad

I don't see where Waters has a bitch about the PF site...he wasn't fired (Wright was) HE QUIT the band, then sued to prohibit the rest of the band from using the name, which he lost. Gilmour won the rights. To think he should still have use of the site after that bullshit is beyond me, if I were Gilmour I wouldn't let him on the site either. He has no one but himself to blame.
    As a lifelong fan of Floyd, his nonsense is a total drag. I wanted to read about Animals not his insecure Rodney Dangerfield ranting he's been left out in the cold and gets no respect. Its no secret he's without question the creative writing genius, but the rest of the band was the sound. Without Wrights brilliant atmosphere and Gilmours out of this world playing Animals wouldn't be nearly as great as it is! I think they were all hitting their high watermark on this one.
    This band is the epitome of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
    And Im not surprised about how he treats his crew, he's had all of them on payroll throughout the pandemic. Cant wait to see his in the round show if it still happens!

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I still did not understand -
    When will this be released?
    Yah ... one of those 'I'll believe it when I can buy it' things .... and I WILL buy it. The Wall also please.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I guess this confirms there are no recordings from the tour any better than the bootlegs so Oakland 1977 is as good as it’s ever gonna get, which is pretty good, but I was hoping they had more in the archives.
    This has been the message from the band for years. Too bad and hard to understand why they didn't commission a professional recording for at least a few of the shows. Oakland is fine for a audie, but pretty dodgy overall.

I own more Floyd recordings, releases, remasters etc than I could count. Maybe I will get this one as well, depending upon the reviews. For many years I had wished for a Floyd reunion. Now I have no interest in that, as clearly they despise each other, so I wouldn't want to watch them tolerate each other on stage just for the sake of a reunion. I saw Gilmour the last time he toured, it was great. And I saw Waters on his tour of the Wall, that was a great production as well. But it feels as if Waters will be forever distraught about losing command of the Floyd brand.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    hard to understand why they didn't commission a professional recording for at least a few of the shows. Oakland is fine for a audie, but pretty dodgy overall.
    Obviously, they were considering a live album at the time. One would if the BBC or King Biscuit or whomever else didn't put forth the idea of doing a radio show. One would have to assume such overtures had to have occurred, though who knows. If they were, clearly the band refused all of them.

The thing about live albums is I often get the impression there's an attitude in some quarters that they're "just a rip off' and "nostalgia orientated" or whatever. Roger Glover said when Deep Purple's Japanese label asked to do a live album when they went over there in August '72, the band was resistant because live albums had a "budget" feel to them.

Obviously, by 1977, that had changed somewhat, but I think there were still a lot of people who looked down on the live album phenomenon, and I think Pink Floyd might have been one such band. They may have felt, "We don't want to be one of those bands". So the attitude might have been, "We've done one live album, why do we need to do another?". Yes, I know the answer we would give, viz-a-viz the extended instrumental bits in Pigs (3 Different Ones) and Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt. VIII, or the alternate arrangement of Pigs On The Wing Pt. 2, but the band perhaps didn't think about the possibility that fans might like to hear those alternate arrangements at home. But the band may have still felt like a double (or triple) live album would "send the wrong message" about the band.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Agreed. And if I were Dave, I'd be wary of letting Roger post there too. Roger has not legally been in Pink Floyd since the 80s and he's prone to post very polarizing political content to say the least. Not to mention his penchant for Dave/Polly bashing.

And we are only hearing Roger's side of it which will always be uber-Roger-centric.
    Bringing Gilmour's wife into it seemed like overstepping the bounds to me, and it's almost designed to make Gilmour dig his heels in further. If Waters wants to be allowed to post stuff on PF's FB or website, he has to make nice. I don't know if he's tried that route or not. But it's probably too late, now that he's dragged Dave's woman into it. Sorry, Rog, but Polly is your replacement, you know, from when you quit the band.