Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd Animals Remix

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pink Floyd Animals Remix

"One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

TESTING TESTING

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Christ he's not bitter at all is he?
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 05-31-2021 at 09:07 PM.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Christ he's not bitter at is he?
    Ha!

I was going to post what a happy-go-lucky feller he seemed to be!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

And I thought these men well into their 70s had gotten over all this B.S. ;-)

Quote from the piece attributed to Gilmour:

”You’re trying to get the impact from the cash register, ‘the snap, crack, crsssh,” You’d mark that one and then measure how long you wanted that beat to go, and that’s the piece you’d use. And you’d chop it together. It was trial and error. You just chop the tapes together, and if it sounds good, you use it. If it doesn’t, you take one section out and put a different one in. Sometimes we’d put one in and it’d be backwards, because the diagonal cut on the tape, if you turn it around is exactly the same. We’d stick that in and instead it would go ‘chung, dum, whoosh.’ And sound great so we’d use that.”
    The wording is important here. Not once does Gilmour say that he did anything - there's a lot of "you'd" and "we'd" never "I". It's a pretty lawyerly way for Gilmour to seem like he's taking credit but have plausible deniability that he did anything of the kind.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Quote from the piece attributed to Gilmour:
    The wording is important here. Not once does Gilmour say that he did anything - there's a lot of "you'd" and "we'd" never "I". It's a pretty lawyerly way for Gilmour to seem like he's taking credit but have plausible deniability that he did anything of the kind.
    Or, conversely, he's acknowledging that it was a collective effort. That's how I look at it.

As for the bitterness between Gilmour and Waters? It's gone on way too long for them to patch it up, I think. They'd need a mediator to try and work them through their stuff, and I just don't think either of them has any interest. And why would they? Waters struggled for commercial acceptance in his early post-Floyd days, but has certainly done well over the last quarter century. Gilmour, of course, has had no problems remaining successful.

Personally, as I get older, I think it's a good thing to realise we're not getting any younger, and in cases where I've had falling outs with a coup,e of people, in recent years I've reached out as I just think life's too short, you know? And the good news is, while we're not close the way we once were, we are back to being friends, and that's all I was looking for. So I think it would be great for them to patch up their differences, but not everyone sees the value, so sadly it is what it is....

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to finally having Animals in high res (since I don't do surround). I dunno if I'll read Waters' book though, as I suspect, based on everything I've seen with him, that it'll be very one-sided and, frankly, bitter and nasty. Not to mention he clearly believes that he was the sole driving force behind Floyd, and that just ain't true. Sure, he came up with some great concepts, but were it not cor the collaborative efforts of Waters, Gilmour, Wright and Mason, they'd have not amounted to what they did.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

^^^^

Yeakh, that pretty close to my memories of the Massey Hall show (there must've been more tracks not filmed, though)... and viewing it doesn't do much to embellish tose memories.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    He didn't do anything from David Gilmour at the Massey Hall show? I thought I had seen setlists that listed several of the songs from that album. I know on the Beyond The Floyd documentary, he's shown playing Mihalis during a soundcheck, and on the Hammersmith Odeon video they do There's No Way Out Of Here.
    It's pretty far away nowadays, but I definitely remember being disappointed once out of the building , about not doing much (anything?) else than No Way Out. I mean, I was hoping for wilder stuff like Mihalis or Raise My Rent.
    Also, him doing only two Wall tracks (they were his compositions, though) and being the only Floyd things he did helped tpo my general disappointment...

... Contrasting heavily with the ecstatic state I was outside & after the Waters (with Clapton) show... I was less impressed upon the second Clatpton-less show a few months later, but the surprise was gone.

Albeit, Gilmour had more balls to go out solo and rely fairly little on Floyd stuff, whereas I believe most people were inside Waters' shows to witness Clapton replacing Gilmour in the second set than for his first solo album set.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    As for the bitterness between Gilmour and Waters? It's gone on way too long for them to patch it up, I think. They'd need a mediator to try and work them through their stuff, and I just don't think either of them has any interest. And why would they? Waters struggled for commercial acceptance in his early post-Floyd days, but has certainly done well over the last quarter century. Gilmour, of course, has had no problems remaining successful.
    TBH, I tend to think Waters would love to make peace once and for all, but falling onto Gilmour's unwillingness to open up for more than a polite but shallow overture, Roger loses his cool fairly quickly.... which of course brings much waters (pun intended) to feed Dave's mill.

I've had a couple fallouts with old mates in both ways. The one that makes the first step in gluing back the "Broken China" pieces is in a position of weakness, despite of who was (W)right (another intended double pun) in the original feud. Generally this "gesture" entitles/enpowers the "askee" over the "asker", and often drives the former to act as an arsehole with unreasonable demands (unwillingness to make up easily and make the other crawl a bit more). In this Floyd case, I believe Gilmour relishes his position and laughs (below the cape) at Waters' multiple/repeated demands, but deep down he knows it won't work out.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I've had a couple fallouts with old mates in both ways. The one that makes the first step in gluing back the "Broken China" pieces is in a position of weakness, despite of who was (W)right (another intended double pun) in the original feud. Generally this "gesture" entitles/enpowers the "askee" over the "asker", and often drives the former to act as an arsehole with unreasonable demands
    Agree. I had a fallout with an old friend I was pals with all throughout our 20's. He was a total narcist control freak who was never at fault, and I had enough of it when I started dating my future wife. In our last conversation, when I basically told him I'm done, his replay was, "Well, I would still like to hear from you once in a while and know how you're doing. But I can't call you, you have to call me, you understand?" It's been 30 years and I still haven't called him.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I've had a couple fallouts with old mates in both ways. The one that makes the first step in gluing back the "Broken China" pieces is in a position of weakness, despite of who was (W)right (another intended double pun) in the original feud. Generally this "gesture" entitles/enpowers the "askee" over the "asker", and often drives the former to act as an arsehole with unreasonable demands (unwillingness to make up easily and make the other crawl a bit more). In this Floyd case, I believe Gilmour relishes his position and laughs (below the cape) at Waters' multiple/repeated demands, but deep down he knows it won't work out.
    It's a real shame that your experiences have caused you to think this way, and for that I am truly sorry.

For me, when I try to rekindle relationships years after a fallout, I always know it'll never be able to return to what it once was, and I never consider either of us having more or less power over the other, The best I hope for is really just simple reconciliation, where whatever animosity may have existed can just get shelved, and for good. If that can happen and I can be on amicable, amiable terms with the person, even if we aren't in touch like we were in years past, then I feel good, like I've managed to get rid of one of the "issues" that are hanging over my head and I'd love to eliminate as my life is now well into its third act.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Me. Not really bothered about all the bickering. We're finally getting a 5.1 mix of Animals, which is probably my favorite Floyd album of all.

Great news about Animals, good news about the memoirs, the rest is... well, expected but it still feels a bit sad to me. I guess anger is a fuel to him.

If you can pick up the stereo remix relatively cheaply I might spring but the rest of the gubbins is no use to me. While Animals is an album I admire its not one I reach for often. I'm more of a pre Dark Side guy really.

I thought things had mellowed a little between Rog and Dave. Obviously not.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I thought things had mellowed a little between Rog and Dave. Obviously not.
    They did become friendlier around 2010 when Gilmour joined Waters on a couple of occasions (at the well-documented "Wall" show in London then at a smaller charitable event).
    Things have soured considerably since, however, largely based on Gilmour banning Waters' announcements, even Floyd-related, from the official PF website when Gilmour's wife Polly Samson is able to advertise her sometimes less Floyd-related activites on it.
    The "censored" liner notes have nothing really controversial in them except the blatantly pro-Waters bias in the way they are written. Then again, Waters really was at the helm beginning in 1974/75 so it's not factually untrue, but it's written in a way that insists on Waters' creative dominance to an extent that is perhaps unnecessary.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

One of my least favorite Floyd albums, this is when Waters started to bring the band down for me. Feel free to disagree

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

I still did not understand -
    When will this be released?

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I still did not understand -
    When will this be released?
    Yah ... one of those 'I'll believe it when I can buy it' things .... and I WILL buy it. The Wall also please.

“It’s a funny old world. Isn’t it? Don’t get me started.”
    -Roger Waters

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Love the record, but I don’t have surround and there’s nothing wrong with the original stereo mix so I would need some non album extras to entice me. I guess this confirms there are no recordings from the tour any better than the bootlegs so Oakland 1977 is as good as it’s ever gonna get, which is pretty good, but I was hoping they had more in the archives.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Love the record, but I don’t have surround and there’s nothing wrong with the original stereo mix so I would need some non album extras to entice me. I guess this confirms there are no recordings from the tour any better than the bootlegs so Oakland 1977 is as good as it’s ever gonna get, which is pretty good, but I was hoping they had more in the archives.
    I would have hoped for the Montreal Olympic stadium July 3 live recording to have been an excellent choice from the archives (besides I was there jeje).

But it seems that this expanded Animals release will not be in the same scale of the Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall Immersion box sets with 6 and 7 discs respectively. There also is a Immersion box set of Wish you were here. But a 4 disc set for Animals is better than nothing so it's a reason to be excited :-)

I agree with some comments here, Waters has no reason to be bitter and grumpy (although he IS an old man). David and Nick both agreed when the Immersion box sets were released because the contents and product material would honor those two masterpiece albums adequately. But Animals is a whole different story, sadly that sour legacy still prevails in Roger waters bitter and resentful heart. It was no surprise to the fans when RW was kicked out of the band, this still remains evident even in their twilight years :-(
    Keith Emerson - Bayou place May 2010 - Tribute Concert El Rey Los Angeles May 2016
    Pink Floyd - Olympic Stadium, July 77 - Yankee Stadium, NY Jun 94
    Jethro Tull - Montreal Forum, Jun 73 - LA Forum, Nov 78
    Rush - Montreal Forum, July 84 - Toyota Ctr, Houston, TX May 2015
    Genesis - Montreal Forum, December 74 - Pepsi Arena, Denver Oct 2007
    King Crimson - Spectrum Montreal, July 84 - Videotron Ctr Quebec July 2017
    UK & IQ at Progstock Festival - UCPAC Center - Rahway NJ - Oct 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I guess this confirms there are no recordings from the tour any better than the bootlegs so Oakland 1977 is as good as itís ever gonna get, which is pretty good, but I was hoping they had more in the archives.
    This has been the message from the band for years. Too bad and hard to understand why they didn't commission a professional recording for at least a few of the shows. Oakland is fine for a audie, but pretty dodgy overall.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    hard to understand why they didn't commission a professional recording for at least a few of the shows. Oakland is fine for a audie, but pretty dodgy overall.
    Obviously, they were considering a live album at the time. One would if the BBC or King Biscuit or whomever else didn't put forth the idea of doing a radio show. One would have to assume such overtures had to have occurred, though who knows. If they were, clearly the band refused all of them.

The thing about live albums is I often get the impression there's an attitude in some quarters that they're "just a rip off' and "nostalgia orientated" or whatever. Roger Glover said when Deep Purple's Japanese label asked to do a live album when they went over there in August '72, the band was resistant because live albums had a "budget" feel to them.

Obviously, by 1977, that had changed somewhat, but I think there were still a lot of people who looked down on the live album phenomenon, and I think Pink Floyd might have been one such band. They may have felt, "We don't want to be one of those bands". So the attitude might have been, "We've done one live album, why do we need to do another?". Yes, I know the answer we would give, viz-a-viz the extended instrumental bits in Pigs (3 Different Ones) and Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt. VIII, or the alternate arrangement of Pigs On The Wing Pt. 2, but the band perhaps didn't think about the possibility that fans might like to hear those alternate arrangements at home. But the band may have still felt like a double (or triple) live album would "send the wrong message" about the band.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The thing about live albums is I often get the impression there's an attitude in some quarters that they're "just a rip off' and "nostalgia orientated" or whatever. Roger Glover said when Deep Purple's Japanese label asked to do a live album when they went over there in August '72, the band was resistant because live albums had a "budget" feel to them.
    No question that the appeal/perception of live albums has changed a lot over the years. Recall reading that Genesis Live (1973) was released over the objections of the band as a stop gap for the lack of new material. Regardless, plenty of bands had the foresight to do some professional recordings. No doubt the members of PF now regret their lack of foresight. Of my top 10 bands, only ELO has a similarly dodgy live catalog.