Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd Animals Remix

Pink Floyd Animals Remix

"One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Christ he's not bitter at all is he?
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 05-31-2021 at 09:07 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

And I thought these men well into their 70s had gotten over all this B.S. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Christ he's not bitter at is he?
    Ha!

I was going to post what a happy-go-lucky feller he seemed to be!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote from the piece attributed to Gilmour:

”You’re trying to get the impact from the cash register, ‘the snap, crack, crsssh,” You’d mark that one and then measure how long you wanted that beat to go, and that’s the piece you’d use. And you’d chop it together. It was trial and error. You just chop the tapes together, and if it sounds good, you use it. If it doesn’t, you take one section out and put a different one in. Sometimes we’d put one in and it’d be backwards, because the diagonal cut on the tape, if you turn it around is exactly the same. We’d stick that in and instead it would go ‘chung, dum, whoosh.’ And sound great so we’d use that.”
    The wording is important here. Not once does Gilmour say that he did anything - there's a lot of "you'd" and "we'd" never "I". It's a pretty lawyerly way for Gilmour to seem like he's taking credit but have plausible deniability that he did anything of the kind.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Me. Not really bothered about all the bickering. We're finally getting a 5.1 mix of Animals, which is probably my favorite Floyd album of all.

Great news about Animals, good news about the memoirs, the rest is... well, expected but it still feels a bit sad to me. I guess anger is a fuel to him.

If you can pick up the stereo remix relatively cheaply I might spring but the rest of the gubbins is no use to me. While Animals is an album I admire its not one I reach for often. I'm more of a pre Dark Side guy really.

I thought things had mellowed a little between Rog and Dave. Obviously not.

One of my least favorite Floyd albums, this is when Waters started to bring the band down for me. Feel free to disagree

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

I still did not understand -
    When will this be released?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I thought things had mellowed a little between Rog and Dave. Obviously not.
    They did become friendlier around 2010 when Gilmour joined Waters on a couple of occasions (at the well-documented "Wall" show in London then at a smaller charitable event).
    Things have soured considerably since, however, largely based on Gilmour banning Waters' announcements, even Floyd-related, from the official PF website when Gilmour's wife Polly Samson is able to advertise her sometimes less Floyd-related activites on it.
    The "censored" liner notes have nothing really controversial in them except the blatantly pro-Waters bias in the way they are written. Then again, Waters really was at the helm beginning in 1974/75 so it's not factually untrue, but it's written in a way that insists on Waters' creative dominance to an extent that is perhaps unnecessary.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

“It’s a funny old world. Isn’t it? Don’t get me started.”
    -Roger Waters

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Love the record, but I don’t have surround and there’s nothing wrong with the original stereo mix so I would need some non album extras to entice me. I guess this confirms there are no recordings from the tour any better than the bootlegs so Oakland 1977 is as good as it’s ever gonna get, which is pretty good, but I was hoping they had more in the archives.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Can't wait for this, but Roger is such a dick.
    Chad

I like Guthrie’s stereo mixes but Animals in 5.1? Oh yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Can't wait for this, but Roger is such a dick.
    But to Aymeric's point, Gilmour is letting his wife use the PF site as a platform to promote her work, but he won't let Roger Waters do the same? Or am I misreading the situation?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I think Gilmour has had so much nonsense from Roger over the years he's decided to just stick it to him. Does it make sense? No. Is it vindictive? Yes. Does Roger bring it on himself? Yes.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

They're all ridiculous. Waters ridiculous for insisting on the fellating liner notes, Gilmour ridiculous for banning him from the FB page and for making up the story about the cash register loop.

^ But Roger is not wrong. He was the primary creative force in the band at that time. That's why I've always preferred the pre-DSotM period when they were a collaborative band of equals without one dominant personality calling the shots. Like i always say, there was Syd's Floyd, and Roger's Floyd, and David's Floyd, but I like the period when they were Floyd's Floyd best.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

We can tell from Roger's solo albums how important to input of Gilmour & Wright were to those 'Roger era' albums. Roger clearly had the drive and the vision. The conversion into something magnificent needed the others.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I think Gilmour has had so much nonsense from Roger over the years he's decided to just stick it to him. Does it make sense? No. Is it vindictive? Yes. Does Roger bring it on himself? Yes.
    Everything I ever heard about Roger leads me to agree with what you say, except:

Simon has a friend who was part of Roger's crew on one of his mega-tours. It was a gigantic crew - like 60-80 people NOT including the musicians. When the hiring was done, Roger personally came and spoke to every crew member and shook their hand and within a couple of weeks had learned everyone's name. He also ate all his meals with the crew. Simon's friend said it was the best work situation that he had ever been involved with as a crew member and Roger really made EVERYONE feel like they were part of an appreciated team.

That surprised me a lot, but I was happy to hear it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Love the record, but I don’t have surround and there’s nothing wrong with the original stereo mix so I would need some non album extras to entice me. I guess this confirms there are no recordings from the tour any better than the bootlegs so Oakland 1977 is as good as it’s ever gonna get, which is pretty good, but I was hoping they had more in the archives.
    I would have hoped for the Montreal Olympic stadium July 3 live recording to have been an excellent choice from the archives (besides I was there jeje).

But it seems that this expanded Animals release will not be in the same scale of the Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall Immersion box sets with 6 and 7 discs respectively. There also is a Immersion box set of Wish you were here. But a 4 disc set for Animals is better than nothing so it's a reason to be excited :-)

I agree with some comments here, Waters has no reason to be bitter and grumpy (although he IS an old man). David and Nick both agreed when the Immersion box sets were released because the contents and product material would honor those two masterpiece albums adequately. But Animals is a whole different story, sadly that sour legacy still prevails in Roger waters bitter and resentful heart. It was no surprise to the fans when RW was kicked out of the band, this still remains evident even in their twilight years :-(
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..